Skip to main content
Topic: 2014 - Strugglers (Read 20254 times) previous topic - next topic

2014 - Strugglers

OK, we have had the positive threads about the best 22 for 2014. Lets look at the flip side for some balance. Not just a who is on the slide or who isn't good enough, but players who might have external reasons to struggle as well.

Who do you think is going to struggle in 2014?

I will open up with what I think is a safe bet, but I think SpecialK cannot be expected to deliver much in 2014. It's almost Feb and over this pre-season the lad has been in a moon boot for months and still has not resumed full training.

He is a ruckmen who plays his best when the he gets significant game time in the engine room. Without a full fitness base I suspect he won't ever catch enough up by the time the season starts, and that will leave him struggling for 2014. I suspect that is why they recruited Wood.

I hope I am wrong!
The Force Awakens!

Re: 2014 - Strugglers

Reply #1
Good thread, LP. 

Just on Kreuzer - I was there the night he did his knee against Freo back in 2010. Even in the paralytic state I was in at the time, it didn't take a genius to work out the long-term implications that such an injury could have for such a big man, especially a big man with great expectations. Seems to have had nothing but trouble with injury since, which is why I think that if he struggles this year, then we will never see the player we had hoped he would be when he walked through the doors at Princes Park as a shy, pimple-faced beanpole. 

Sometimes in footy and in sport overall, it only takes a bit of rotten luck and she could be all over. The moon-boot and lack of training is of huge concern.

Reply #2
No it isn't. He will be given time to get back to his best. Why would we get Cameron Wood, if Kreuzer in early in the season was a must need for us. Warnock and Casboult will carry the load, and I expect Special-K to come in when he is ready. Surely the club are clever enough not to let him break again. Yes in ways he will struggle, but if he is used based on where his fitness levels are at, he should come good after the middle of the season.

The Cam-boot could be a precautionary action to avoid further issues. Even Joel Selwood is in one himself to take the weight baring load of his foot after surgery. Don't get me wrong Matthew must be wearing it for a reason, but the club would be stupid to bring him back sooner than he is physically ready to go. It wouldn't amaze me if he is substituting swimming and cycling cross training to help with his fitness levels in the meantime. One could hope so.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #3
Suspect an old agenda item is being re-tabled.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
the club would be stupid to bring him back sooner than he is physically ready to go.

Yeah, that hasn't happened at all before.

Maybe things have changed. Need to be positive. At least Daisy looks 100% ready to go.

Reply #6
How will Scotland go in 2014, or McLean?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Special K and Jamo appear the two key injury prone types.....

Judd, to a lesser extent.

Seems like the pre season has been remarkably uneventful (touch wood).

Thomas remains doubtful surely to some degree, until he produces ...?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #10
Special K and Jamo appear the two key injury prone types.....

Judd, to a lesser extent.

Seems like the pre season has been remarkably uneventful (touch wood).

Thomas remains doubtful surely to some degree, until he produces ...?

Well he'd bloody well better for that sort of money per year. Otherwise why don't we all throw our membership dollars down the friggin sh1tter.

Reply #11
Relax guys. It isn't all doom and gloom. It just could be the year it all turns around for us. Not all our cattle is ready for the slaughter. Not just yet. Surely I am not the only one in dream land. ;)

Reply #12
Mantis you are not the only one in dreamland, and you can understand where the negativity stems from considering our clubs recent history (just as things look ok everything goes up creek without a paddle) and the fact that Henderson has had to go in for a procedure to release tension (which sounds like double speak to me).

Personally I think we are in for a good year, but it could just as easily go pear shaped and unravel for us so I understand the negativity despite not agreeing with it.  This is the cultural issue that our club is suffering from and needs to move past, and hopefully we are taking strides to remedy that.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
Relax guys. It isn't all doom and gloom. It just could be the year it all turns around for us. Not all our cattle is ready for the slaughter. Not just yet. Surely I am not the only one in dream land. ;)

Nuh, don't reckon you're in dreamland Green Stick. Like every other side, we need our share of luck re injuries. This being the case (average injury list) then I see our best being top 6 (I stuck my neck out for a 4th finish in our predictions!).

It really is crucial for Watson and Casboult to step up this year. We lose a Henderson, or Waite, or Jamison... without those two stepping up and we'll struggle. Likewise Murphy and Judd in the midfield... Bell and Gibbs must demand more of the aggott and impose themselves more on the game... the WHOLE game.

Success is there for us in 2014, if we REALLY want it and are prepared to do what it takes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
I understand all you guys and can see where in the past things have gone pear shaped just as the potential of a great season has turned into a different reality. I guess my expectations for Casboult to be more genuine and fit, along with Everitt being an instant starter and genuine contributor, leads me to believe we have options. Not to mention again what others have here with Watson needing to step up.

* Then we consider a better Bell than last season.
* A fit and ready to go for the entire season Murphy, with less stress as he won't get tagged as easy now we  have Daisy in the squad, helping Judd and Robinson and Gibbs in the middle and putting the score on the score board too.
* Yarran and Garlett having an impact more regularly now that Betts has left the scene.
* Armfield being more hot than cold along with Tuohy showing the same.
* Simpson and Walker doing the damage they have in the past.
* Warnock showing more self belief and confidence in his ability to dominate the ruck more often than not.
* Menzel being more than just a glimpse of hope here and there. Hot and cold as before.

Jamo, Waite and Henderson have been key players for us, but if the all the above falls into place me may go further this season by winning a few of those games we have missed before. Hence not having to depend on Jamo and Waite as much.

I guess I am asking for too much to fall into place, so if the side can show more ticker and heart and lift by just 5% in quality over previous years we are a different side on the score board. I know Judd has ticker. So does Daisy, Simpson and Walker. Maybe this infection can pass its way around the entire side. I'll keep up the hope until I see things fall over for us. ;)

Not having a shot at anyone as our past history has shown different. Before we had Mick, and added Buttifant and Laidley. This uncertain situation could inject a different culture to the side. We are not evaluating now, but assembling a side that can win finals. How many is up to our belief, and hunger for some silverware. Lets pray while we have the chance.