Skip to main content
Topic: Kreuzer VS Warnock VS Wood - How Will This One Play Out ?? (Read 94828 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Kreuzer VS Warnock VS Wood - How Will This One Play Out ??

Reply #90
So he knew he was injured, was forced to play and now has broken down. Smart move CFC.....if true.

Fair point Carrots...he was useless the previous week and clearly unfit...Mick has to wear that mistake and now we hear MK is out for 6-8weeks.
Thats poor medical management IMO and MK's career has to be under the microscope given he gets injured so often...

Reply #91
So he knew he was injured, was forced to play and now has broken down. Smart move CFC.....if true.

That doesn't sound like something our club would do!  :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
At this particular time there appears to be a large crop of KPPs in this draft, not so many true ruckmen. However, it would not surprise me at all if we drafted a young ruckman and rookied another. A couple of years back we picked a beauty in Sam Jacobs as a rookie. We can do that again, or perhaps trade for a kid like Lycett who is going to struggle to get games with the Weagles if Natanui and Cox stay fit.
This crop is not as well endowed with mids, but there are some nice ones and a few kids with real electric pace. Young Touk Miller from Calder, for example.

Think Lycett would want back to SA and Port would welcome him ...agree we will draft a rookie ruck and I also think we will get a readymade from other club/s or one of the state leagues.......I wonder if Darren Jolly is fit? Mick might take him on for two years if he can get some KP's and get a finals worthy list together in a hurry.

Reply #93
Bad news if true about Kreuz. Even if he does fully recover there is a real chance now he will be traded out - looks like the club has not managed his injuries too well.

We certainly need to be looking for another ruck option for sure - wonder whether MM sees it as being a forward/ruck type to back up Warnock continuing as the #1 ruck. Should be an opportunity for Casboult to try and prove himself.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #94
HUN reporting that Kruezer could miss 6 to 8 weeks  with his foot injury.

Guess that means we can elevate Wood from Rookie list?

If true, I think Kruezer may be at end at Carlton..I suspect MM wont put up with a player being continually injured..

Mossie...I think the club will support him but his long term future as a player in the game at any club might start being an issue.
You would have to think we will search for another ruckman next season to give us another option....Wood is good backup and handy around the ground but his ruckwork isnt any better than Rowe's IMO although you could argue he needs game time as the NO 1 ruckman to improve in that area given he has only played 50-60 games from memory.

The only "support" the Club should make is to find him another Club or if not, employment outside football
We cannot "support" injured players on the playing list - we have Carrozzo that has not played for 12 months - with a 2 year extension
Kruezer has to stand literally and metaphysically on his own two feet.
Football is not a charity -  its a ruthless on field business, why should it not be ruthless off field?

Reply #95
The only "support" the Club should make is to find him another Club or if not, employment outside football
We cannot "support" injured players on the playing list - we have Carrozzo that has not played for 12 months - with a 2 year extension
Football is not a charity -  its a ruthless on field business, why should it not be ruthless off field?

There are two issues to your ruthless business ethic.

A: Clubs must paint themselves as attractive destinations, especially given the increasing scope for Free Agency. Demonstrating good player welfare is tantamount to long term success, if that wasn't the case clubs would not be wasting money on multi-million dollar training and recovery facilities.

B: The AFLPA wields a mighty stick at the moment, player welfare is paramount and towers over the desires, wants and needs of the clubs. The AFL is a professional workplace not an amateur sporting body, so player welfare is an OH&S issue, and rightly so I think!

IMHO, clubs have no choice but to be good citizens in this regard.

To me it is the fit but under-performing players that the clubs need more freedom to deal with!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
Before we state what Mick will and will not put up with, how long was Josh Fraser (a former number 1 draft pick) given at Collingwood, before they finally let him go?

By my reckoning he got about 10 years at Collingwood, and most of them under Malthouse.  He too was injury prone.

They found support for him by the end.

When push comes to shove, its just another position that we are struggling in really.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #97
Before we state what Mick will and will not put up with, how long was Josh Fraser (a former number 1 draft pick) given at Collingwood, before they finally let him go?

By my reckoning he got about 10 years at Collingwood, and most of them under Malthouse.  He too was injury prone.

When push comes to shove, its just another position that we are struggling in really.
Fraser was a great marking target from the beginning, so much so they considered making him a permanent forward. Nobody on our list other than Waite comes close!

I am not sure why he is being discussed, you could compare Josh Fraser to Fraser Gehrig and get a closer match than comparing Josh Fraser to any of our rucks.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98

Fraser was a great marking target from the beginning, so much so they considered making him a permanent forward. Nobody on our list other than Waite comes close!

I am not sure why he is being discussed, you could compare Josh Fraser to Fraser Gehrig and get a closer match than comparing Josh Fraser to any of our rucks.

Someone stated that mick wont put up with Kreuzer being injury prone.  Follow the thread LP.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #99

There are two issues to your ruthless business ethic.

A: Clubs must paint themselves as attractive destinations, especially given the increasing scope for Free Agency. Demonstrating good player welfare is tantamount to long term success, if that wasn't the case clubs would not be wasting money on multi-million dollar training and recovery facilities.

B: The AFLPA wields a mighty stick at the moment, player welfare is paramount and towers over the desires, wants and needs of the clubs. The AFL is a professional workplace not an amateur sporting body, so player welfare is an OH&S issue, and rightly so I think!

IMHO, clubs have no choice but to be good citizens in this regard.

To me it is the fit but under-performing players that the clubs need more freedom to deal with!

You are now raising another important issue - just how strong is the Carlton administration to stand up and control its own destiny?

What is the so called "mighty big stick" to which you are referring?

OH & S would suggest that if an employee has an existing physical condition then their employment duties change a minimum.

Reply #100

Someone stated that mick wont put up with Kreuzer being injury prone.  Follow the thread LP.

I see, but it still isn't apples for apples as Josh Fraser could sit in a pocket 80% fit and demand attention.

A better analogy might be SpecialK and Chris Bryan.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #101
Bryan is/was a better kick.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #102
There is a rumour going around BF and TC that Kreuzer could miss 12 weeks, not 5 - 8.
That would be a disaster, for us and for him.
Looks like we will be depending on Cameron Wood. I would have thought that a nightmare scenario not long ago. What are the Northern Blues going to do for a ruckman?

As to whether Kreuzer stays or is traded, the probability of us recruiting ruck talent this draft has gone up a lot. After all, Warnock rarely lasts more than half a season.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #103
There is a rumour going around BF and TC that Kreuzer could miss 12 weeks, not 5 - 8.
That would be a disaster, for us and for him.
Looks like we will be depending on Cameron Wood. I would have thought that a nightmare scenario not long ago. What are the Northern Blues going to do for a ruckman?

As to whether Kreuzer stays or is traded, the probability of us recruiting ruck talent this draft has gone up a lot. After all, Warnock rarely lasts more than half a season.
So it was a good get grabbing Wood as insurance for Kruezer. Perhaps they knew he was a good chance to break down. Foot injuries for 100kg+ big men is not good.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #104
HUN reporting that Kruezer could miss 6 to 8 weeks  with his foot injury.

Guess that means we can elevate Wood from Rookie list?

If true, I think Kruezer may be at end at Carlton..I suspect MM wont put up with a player being continually injured..

Mossie...I think the club will support him but his long term future as a player in the game at any club might start being an issue.
You would have to think we will search for another ruckman next season to give us another option....Wood is good backup and handy around the ground but his ruckwork isnt any better than Rowe's IMO although you could argue he needs game time as the NO 1 ruckman to improve in that area given he has only played 50-60 games from memory.

Dont disagree with anything you have said but I think the club and playing list would see MK as a franchise player, one who makes up the fabric of the club and would be loathe to throw one of these fabric players out the door to another club without having a good go at getting him right. I think like you and would make a business decision but some how I dont think the club will see it that way and will stick with him for a while unless he says he wants to go....