Skip to main content
Topic: NBNCO (Read 17209 times) previous topic - next topic

NBNCO

Can these DH's just turn up unannounced when youre not home and just install a box wherever they want?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: NBNCO

Reply #1
They sure can - and they do. The initial connection is just to the outside of the house - nobody needs to be home (other than maybe gates/dogs etc)

Reply #2
According to the NBN website, my place is "ready to connect to an NBN powered plan".  This is despite our property being rural and no sign of any infrastructure works within 20km of our area.  Well, that's not entirely true; I do see a NBN ute parked outside a house when I drive through Ocean Grove.

Our current internet connection is dodgy at best, but without improved infrastructure, be it fibre to the node or Malcolm's 100mbps connection on the hybrid fibre coaxial network, there's no benefit in signing up to an imaginary NBN.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
I'm certainly in no hurry to go NBN as our current service is OK for my needs. NBN will be available to us next year if you can believe the blurb and as I understand it the move is pretty much forced upon you? Anyway, another box to be added to the current collection on the outside wall of my study I guess. More boxes than Visy.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
I've only ever had one problem, after about a year the fibre failed because of a kink somewhere out in the street side, they fixed it within 48hrs.

Other than that NBN wise I've had no problems, I have the full setup, backup battery, fibre phone, and 100Mbps. So other than the one incident we never lose an internet connection because of the NBN, if there are problems it's always related to one of the ISPs having a problem.

I notice our NBN modem has the Telstra Air Hotspot enabled, people with Telstra accounts can use a direct WiFi connection to the NBN modem without using our bandwidth. Apparently this is now standard practice for all FTTP connections that have Fibre Phone enabled. Our mobiles are mostly Telstra, so if our ISP has a problem our mobiles hotspot to the Telstra Air connection which runs off the backup battery.

By the way, if you get FTTP then pay the upfront free to be uncontracted, you can mix and match phone and internet providers to get the best deal. It doesn't all have to be with the one provider, it was a big saving for me because we have multiple phone lines.

One thing, the bandwidth is variable, in the evening when everyone is streaming you will find the connection speed drops but it's rarely below 45mbps and usually sits around 70Mbps which is still at least six times faster than my old connection. At low demand time it averages up around 90Mbps.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Congrats on getting in when the going was as it was  intended.  I currently have cable and get about 35mbs 24/7. Our NBN connection will be through HFC, which has already been stuffed up,  so we are no longer NBN ready.

The other HFC joke is that current plans show a slower (and not guaranteed) speed for what we are paying now or even a bit more.   I will be changing over at the last possible second.

Ever since it was changed from fttp to fttn it has and will continue to be a joke,  farce and detriment to our country.

Reply #6
Technically there is no reason why HFC cannot be gigabit rates, the reason is the very short cable runs from the fibre node.  The limits placed on it are artificial, more to do with ISP provisioning than anything else.

While fibre could be multi-gigbit rates, it's unlikely anyone really sees a benefit as the server side will never have the bandwidth to deliver gigabit rates to many users.

The thing that I cannot understand, is why is 4G and 5G wireless so expensive here? It rubbish, it's the cheapest roll-out option for the telcos and yet they charge the most!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
According to the NBN website, my place is "ready to connect to an NBN powered plan".  This is despite our property being rural and no sign of any infrastructure works within 20km of our area.  Well, that's not entirely true; I do see a NBN ute parked outside a house when I drive through Ocean Grove.

Our current internet connection is dodgy at best, but without improved infrastructure, be it fibre to the node or Malcolm's 100mbps connection on the hybrid fibre coaxial network, there's no benefit in signing up to an imaginary NBN.

You live near Geelong?

I'm with iiNet with their "Rocketfast Cable". Because that's fast broadband I don't have to get the NBN.

Reply #8
Our old telstra ADSL 2 speedtested at 3 mb/s.

Our new TPG NBN is usually 95mb/s +
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #9
My Optus cable is always in the 80s and 90s
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
Our old telstra ADSL 2 speedtested at 3 mb/s.

Our new TPG NBN is usually 95mb/s +

That's normal for NBN FTTP connections, the media outrage is mostly sponsored by Telstra wanting to defend it's copper monopoly and justify Malcolm's backflip!

What the NBN is genuinely piss-weak at doing is getting the real message out!

The other stupid fact, fibre has so much potential if it isn't choked by the ISP lack of provisioning, the main problem the NBN has is that ISPs refuse to purchase enough CVC(connectivity virtual circuit). The ISP wants to pay as little as possible for bandwidth, and CVC purchase determines the ISP's capability during peak periods. It's all about minimising expenses and maximising income, buy the bare minimum acceptable and sell it for as much as possible!

Our government is gutless, most countries have rules about the minimum levels of service and provisioning an ISP can provide, but not Australia or the USA, it's all about shareholder profit here and there!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
You live near Geelong?

I'm with iiNet with their "Rocketfast Cable". Because that's fast broadband I don't have to get the NBN.

Are you familiar with Curlewis Winery Jim?  Well, that’s not us but we’re very close  :)

NBN has just advised that Fixed Wireless access is now available in our area.  The brochure provided is non-committal on internet speeds and does point out that we may have to look at alternatives if we can’t receive a good quality signal.  Why am I not surprised?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
Are you familiar with Curlewis Winery Jim?  Well, that’s not us but we’re very close  :)

NBN has just advised that Fixed Wireless access is now available in our area.  The brochure provided is non-committal on internet speeds and does point out that we may have to look at alternatives if we can’t receive a good quality signal.  Why am I not surprised?

In general, unless you are very close to the exchange tor transmission tower, there won't be much difference between fixed wireless and ADSL2/2+ performance. Typical 4G broadband pegs at about 10Mbs/1Mbs for the average user, which is about the same as ADSL2/2+ at an average distance from the exchange.

NBN Fixed Wireless is based on LTE / 4G and can exceed 20Mbs but is still sensitive to distance and weather. If you are close enough to the transmission tower you could get 50Mbs/5Mbs, but most likely you should get about 20Mbs/5Mbs, both these figures are likely to exceed ADSL2/2+.

The advantage of wireless is that it's not affected by the condition of the copper, the disadvantage is that it's affected by obstacles like buildings,  large trees, tin roofs and weather, in particular large line of sight trees when it's windy and wet, because the wet shimmering leaves cause reflections that create multiple pathways between the antennas, called jitter. To overcome that jitter the rate of data transmission has to be reduced so bandwidth fails dramatically.

If you are interested in learning more take a look at this thread on Whirlpool, some of it is obsolete but it's a good general outline.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/highlights_from_the__fixed_wireless_discussion__nbn___thread
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Just tested my broadband earlier and clocked it at 18mbs. It seems fine for everything I want to do including streaming video (Netflix, AFL Live app etc.). Is this comparable to what others are getting? I'm not on NBN, just a normal cable broadband bundle.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #14
Just tested my broadband earlier and clocked it at 18mbs. It seems fine for everything I want to do including streaming video (Netflix, AFL Live app etc.). Is this comparable to what others are getting? I'm not on NBN, just a normal cable broadband bundle.

NBN Fibre or HFC(Hybrid Fibre Coaxial)?

Regardless, for both the rate is controlled by the deal from your ISP.

Typically a 25Mbps plan is the minimum speed plan, and that will give you about the speeds you report. As I understand it they will be forced to upgrade you to 50Mbps without increasing your contract fees in the near future, some legislative change by the Feds. At that time you should find a speed boost to around 33Mbps which is typical.

The main difference from speed variations is noticed during live broadcasts, as live broadcasts are not normally compressed to the same level as replays or movies. Usually after broadcast the servers archive and compress the broadcast, they will then stream more reliably, that happens about 24hrs after an event. I believe one problem we have in Melbourne is that both Ch.7 and Ch.9 have chosen to anchor their servers in Sydney, which is why we are affected by bandwidth issues in Victoria.

Check the www.whirlpool.net site out, it will have a forum thread specific to your own provider and you can get better more specific advice there.

If you want to you can use www.speedtest.net to examine your speed, and at the end of the test fill in the details to get results relative to other users in your area, and also relative to those using the same ISP.
The Force Awakens!