Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2020 (Read 9752 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Open 2020

Reply #15
I hadn't paid much attention to Thiem before last night, but he is some player. Those ground strokes are serious weapons. Among the most powerful I've seen in ages. The angles, the pace, placement, flight. Wow.

He was unusually good last night.  His service has always been a weakness, and I'm forecasting it wont last.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
I've stuck to my word and will not watch tennis again, but listening it's sounds like Joker has used a mystery illness timeout to buy an old man some recovery time.

It's an abortion of the injury timeout rule as it is intended, and as soon as they get rid of it we'll see natural variation in results return to tennis events.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
Actually LP he didn't look right to me, wouldn't be surprised if he has a virus of some sort. He got out of jail using his experience and a change of tactics. 

Not sure why he gets no love here though? He is the GOAT and now an 8 time champion here.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #18
Actually LP he didn't look right to me, wouldn't be surprised if he has a virus of some sort. He got out of jail using his experience and a change of tactics. 

Not sure why he gets no love here though? He is the GOAT and now an 8 time champion here.

It's not just here. It's a much broader societal problem. People just don't like him as much as other players.

I agree with you. Super player.

Reply #19
This injury timeout stuff in tennis seems like recidivist behavior, I wonder if a survey of finals shows it only happens when players are trailing a set or two down!

So can we infer that they only lose when they are injured?

I would accept the miracle recoveries, if they happened occasionally like injuries do, but I'm not sure I can qualify the frequency of miracle recoveries from illness and injury with stirring victories.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
This injury timeout stuff in tennis seems like recidivist behavior, I wonder if a survey of finals shows it only happens when players are trailing a set or two down!

So can we infer that they only lose when they are injured?

I would accept the miracle recoveries, if they happened occasionally like injuries do, but I'm not sure I can qualify the frequency of miracle recoveries from illness and injury with stirring victories.

Hmm.  His timeout occurred when they were tied at one set all so it sounds like you might be leaping to conclusions.

Agree.

He just keeps on keeping on.  You'd think the youth of today would love him given he's Vegan too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
Great effort from NJ.

He's another of those rare players that never, ever, gives up.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #22
Hmm.  His timeout occurred when they were tied at one set all so it sounds like you might be leaping to conclusions.
Which player had the momentum at the time?

They should get his trainers or the ATP Docs working on a cure for the corona-virus, if that the sort of miracles they can work!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Which player had the momentum at the time?

They should get his trainers or the ATP Docs working on a cure for the corona-virus, if that the sort of miracles they can work!

There was really no momentum at that point, the umpire gave 2 time violations to break Novak's serve at 4-4. Thiem held serve to take the set.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #24
There was really no momentum at that point, the umpire gave 2 time violations to break Novak's serve at 4-4. Thiem held serve to take the set.
Are we talking about the same event or a separate incident, Djokovic was trailing 2 sets to 1 when he called the medical timeout?

That was a whole set after he lost the 2nd set due to time and umpire contact violations.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
Are we talking about the same event or a separate incident, Djokovic was trailing 2 sets to 1 when he called the medical timeout?

That was a whole set after he lost the 2nd set due to time and umpire contact violations.

Whats the problem?  Djokovic won the contest. EOS.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #26
I thought you were talking about when he left the court after the second set.

Either way he looked just as flat in the 4th and 5th sets but he changed tactics. He went old school and started mixing  up his shots and coming into the net. Thiem didn't know what to do.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #27
Whats the problem?  Djokovic won the contest. EOS.
The discussion was about the use of medical timeouts to halt an opponents momentum, it's a fair question given that even before the Aust Open it's a major topic in tennis at the moment, that and time-wasting. The players are becoming so professional, and the time-outs appear not to be happening randomly, the allegations that they are being used strategically is stronger than ever!

Why have the medical timeouts at all, isn't taking an opponent past their physical brink a legitimate tactic? If you cannot continue the match within a typical time-frame just lose the game or set, you have all the time you need to recover!

So to cut out all this bogus stuff, I think medical time-outs should not be a "free hit", they should come with a penalty and perhaps it costs you a game or at least some points!

Survival of the fittest, except in tennis! :o

In another sport, cricket, look at how bouncers are now being made less effective or ineffective. Rattle some batsmen with a scrape of the grill and they get a timeout for concussion assessment. They are generally unharmed, they get to steady themselves and return to the crease. The safe play is being used beyond the scope it was intended. In the old days they had a scare and if unharmed had to continue on and face another rocket 20 seconds later!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
The discussion was about the use of medical timeouts to halt an opponents momentum, it's a fair question given that even before the Aust Open it's a major topic in tennis at the moment, that and time-wasting. The players are becoming so professional, and the time-outs appear not to be happening randomly, the allegations that they are being used strategically is stronger than ever!

Why have the medical timeouts at all, isn't taking an opponent past their physical brink a legitimate tactic? If you cannot continue the match within a typical time-frame just lose the game or set, you have all the time you need to recover!

So to cut out all this bogus stuff, I think medical time-outs should not be a "free hit", they should come with a penalty and perhaps it costs you a game or at least some points! There needs to be some checks and balances.

Survival of the fittest, except in tennis! :o

In another sport, cricket, look at how bouncers are now being made less effective or ineffective. Rattle some batsmen with a scrape of the grill and they get a timeout for concussion assessment. They are generally unharmed, they get to steady themselves and return to the crease. The safe play is being used beyond the scope it was intended. In the old days they had a scare and if unharmed had to continue on and face another rocket 20 seconds later!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
She was awful today, first serve was around 50%, had set point in the first and choked, had set point in the second and choked again.

She was beaten by a better player on the day.  These days we tend to ignore the pressure that it applied by opposition players and teams and head straight for the 'C' word. They faulter, they lose concentration, they run out of steam, they tighten up, they are outplayed by their opponent........but they don't simply choke.