Skip to main content
Topic: Bali 9 thoughts (Read 44609 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Bali 9 thoughts

Reply #105
Oh dear God.

They've turned it into a circus ::)
It's all about the show now.
It's obscene and I think some people that were nonplussed about what's happening, will have a look at this revolting display of the Indo's and start to think very negatively about them indeed.

The Indo's might be enjoying the spectacle but I honestly can't see how anyone can continue cheering this one - if they are fair dinkum about cracking down on drugs they would stop accepting bribes from the big guys that get caught and pay their way out of it.

Reply #106
Indonesia is setting itself up to become a global pariah. And that will impact on it economically in many respects. Already folks are putting a line through Bali/Indonesia as a holiday destination.

I still find it incredible that one of the key figures in the murder of over 200 people (Bali bombing) walks from prison after 20 months.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #107
My wife flatly has refused to travel to Asia in general because it doesn't sit well with her, but was happy to travel to Fiji during a military coup. 

That's a perfect example right there.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #108
My wife and I put a line through those Asian countries a long time ago because of what goes on there. They're basically out to get Australians any way they can. Blokes will offer you all sorts of stuff along the street and they're trying to set you up to get busted. That's the mentality over there. Pass.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #109
I have never been to Indonesia and I have no plans to ever to go there. Went to Penang (Georgetown) a couple of years ago and enjoyed that - very non-tourist.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #110
It will be interesting to see how much the Oz Govt gives up to help Abbott get a rise in the polls.

Right now I suspect the Indonesians are extending this because it makes it look like we have some influence over their decisions.

Probably end up letting them murder a couple of hundred West Papuans for a political victory at home.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #111
The way the Indonesians are playing it now I don't think anyone can pick what they'll do.

They've got everyone's attention  ::) and with all that attention it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have a last minute change of heart.

On the other hand they're just as likely to suddenly bring it on.

Reply #112
They may have put a deal to the Aus government, probably one heavily favouring themselves, possibly involving assylum seekers??
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
They may have put a deal to the Aus government, probably one heavily favouring themselves, possibly involving assylum seekers??

Asylum seekers.
Fishing rights.
Oil and Gas rights
Live Cattle
Other farming
Tax Breaks
Military aid

The list of possibilities is endless.

The problem for us is, no matter how noble the cause, the Indonesians are holding all the cards.

They have a popular new leader, they have a well known position on drug smugglers and they have the guys.

We have a very unpopular leader fighting for his political life and no power so we have to try inducements.

If these guys are released Tony will have sold all our arses in one way or the other so he can keep his job.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #115

I reckon they are hanging out for a better deal than just the prisoner swap that was offered.......they must want something big in return and
know Aus have offered their lowest price first. Wodo has do a big deal though because he cant lose face with the Indo public and appear weak.
While I am not supportive of the Bali 9 duo its not right either that are being played as a pair of chess board pieces in a game of politics while
two at odds Governments try and  score points against each other..

Reply #116
From the perspective of an old friend from the Clifton Hotel days Celia. She posted this on facebook this morning.

Fifteen years ago my brother died of a heroin overdose. His is not the only funeral I've been to of someone that has died at the hands of heroin. I've seen mothers crying, fathers pained, siblings distraught, friends speechless because the life of someone they love has been ripped away. Do I blame people like Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan for these deaths? NO!!

Do the Sukumaran and Chan family have to go through this? Haven't they been through enough?

Andrew and Myuran made a desperate and stupid decision as did my bother and many others who wind up in the grip of heroin addiction. You don't just wake up one day and decide to smuggle drugs! A series of events has to take place in a persons life to lead them down a path of darkness.

These guys have turned their lives around and made a difference in the lives of others.They can't change their past and neither can you. Have you ever made a mistake?

You may not have done something as stupid as these guys but you also haven't lived the life that took them to the place where they made such a decision! If you are judging them, stop it!

I'm not saying people don't need consequences for their actions. It's the only way any of us learn! But COMPASSION for human beings in all facets of life is the only way. I stand for mercy. #istandformercy

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #118
From the perspective of an old friend from the Clifton Hotel days Celia. She posted this on facebook this morning.

Fifteen years ago my brother died of a heroin overdose. His is not the only funeral I've been to of someone that has died at the hands of heroin. I've seen mothers crying, fathers pained, siblings distraught, friends speechless because the life of someone they love has been ripped away. Do I blame people like Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan for these deaths? NO!!

Do the Sukumaran and Chan family have to go through this? Haven't they been through enough?

Andrew and Myuran made a desperate and stupid decision as did my bother and many others who wind up in the grip of heroin addiction. You don't just wake up one day and decide to smuggle drugs! A series of events has to take place in a persons life to lead them down a path of darkness.

These guys have turned their lives around and made a difference in the lives of others.They can't change their past and neither can you. Have you ever made a mistake?

You may not have done something as stupid as these guys but you also haven't lived the life that took them to the place where they made such a decision! If you are judging them, stop it!

I'm not saying people don't need consequences for their actions. It's the only way any of us learn! But COMPASSION for human beings in all facets of life is the only way. I stand for mercy. #istandformercy

Great post Carrots. Thanks for sharing.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #119

Really, really impressive.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17