Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Richmond at Ikon - Sat 3:10 (Read 3534 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Richmond at Ikon - Sat 3:10

Our season is finally underway with a good win over the 'Aints down at Moorabbin. The question now is, who do we play next week? Do we play next week? Where will we play next weekend?

Considering that we have had 1 game at home and 2 away, the favourite venue would be Ikon Park, but that is only probability speaking. We could be playing anywhere.

More than likely, the game should be against another Victorian club, due to the travel restrictions.

Considering that most games have been on Saturdays, it is likely that we'll again play on a Saturday. I won't complain about that. I'll be happy as it gives me a chance of getting to the game.

There does not appear to have been any injuries come out of yesterday's game. Therefore, it is reasonable to suggest that the team may remain pretty much the same.
However, there was supposed to be a VFLW practice match yesterday, allowing the rest of the girls a chance of impressing. A smart way of approaching things is to select horses for courses, but we don't tend to do that much.

It could be as late as Thursday before we know much about this. The covid situation and how the state government reacts to it will probably make the AFL leery about making any early decisions. Considering that it is still is still a better than even chance of having restrictions continue longer than Wednesday, I don't expect to know very much for some time.  :'(
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFLW 2021 Rd 4: Carlton vs Richmond at Ikon - Sat 3:10

Reply #1
This is something that i'm worrying about.

I think we will play, but considering the AFLW teams don't play everyone once the AFL has too much say in its fixturing.

Do they want Carlton to play finals? Schedule us against Richmond.
Do they want Carlton to miss finals? Schedule us against North Melbourne.

Who you play determines your fate. Who you play is determined by the AFL.

I don't like it.

Well.....it looks like they want us to play Finals as we have been scheduled against Richmond.
Alternatively, Collingwood is scheduled against North Melbourne (although Dees did just beat North).

Tigers still winless in this competition.

Reply #2
Well.....it looks like they want us to play Finals as we have been scheduled against Richmond.
Alternatively, Collingwood is scheduled against North Melbourne (although Dees did just beat North).

Tigers still winless in this competition.
I am very surprised that the AFL have been so proactive. I wasn't expecting to know who we we'd be playing until maybe Thursday!
I really want us to beat Richmond. Their girls team is much like their boys: pushing the edge with their 'tackles'. If they want to see a really tough team, not a bunch of thugs, then they should look at us: we have more run-down tackles than anyone else.

Thanks, Kruddler, for editing the title.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Letting go of Sarah is looking like a massive stuff up at this stage.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
Jesse might well follow.

I can understand the problem having twins on a AFL list, there would be no respite for them, or from them. It probably makes sense to split them up, but I'm not sure it can work.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
I dont think them being twins has anything to do with it.  The girls were very good with our fans and I used to enjoy their videos.

They also play footy "the right way".
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
I think once Sarah moved on, the departure of Jesse becomes inevitable, as IDs they'll probably look at maximising combined income now.

For me the key issue is pace. Losing Sarah on top of missing Dalton and Walker this season has cost us dearly, our fast ball movement is not so effective when we lack players who have pace to expand the chain. Without the pace the chain of disposals moves too slowly so each possession has poor separation from the last and is under pressure, we have far less space than last season.

Secondly, Gee has been the focus of the oppositions fastest defender every week, opponents use to have to make a decision but now the easy choice is made for them.

Finally, we are little bit less efficient by hand this season, we are not as crisp at hitting targets in close and it shows in fumbles and double takes, compounding the lack of pace issue.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
I heard Jess and Sarah on the wireless this week.  They are looking forward to playing against each other and both seem very comfortable with Sarah’s change of club.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9

Not that we had a choice in the matter, she wanted to go.

I flagged this over a year ago when i broke the AFLW signings story before it came public.
I noted that it was weird that Sarah only signed 1 year, and Jess signed two.

Sarah was the better player who had the body to keep her out on the ground....but Jess got the longer deal.

Sarah was solely in charge of the BTG podcast. This year its been divided up into 4 hosts, 1 of which is Jess.

I've been at club functions on gameday where Jess was doing interviews with AFL players.
Jess has been recognised for all her charity work outside of the club.
Jess has put it upon herself to cook up enough pasta to feed all the girls, and coaches on multiple occassions.....off her own bat....usually to keep herself involved in the club when injured, but not always.

TBH, of the two, IMHO, Jess offers more to the club than Sarah ever did. I'm not sure why Sarah wanted out, but i'd be very surprised if Jess left.

If she ever did leave, i suspect it would be to St. Kilda because thats who she grew up supporting. (Sarah too)

...and as far as on-field goes. Jess is fit and performing on there too.

Reply #10
Jesse might well follow.

I can understand the problem having twins on a AFL list, there would be no respite for them, or from them. It probably makes sense to split them up, but I'm not sure it can work.

If we accept that splitting twins like this is not good for them, then the Roos should send Ben McKay over to us at the end of the year to be our next full back.  It's the least we can do for their well-being.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #11
Teams...

In: Jessica Edwards
Out: Katie Loynes (managed)

Backs:   Kerryn Harrington   Gab Pound
Half-backs: Mua Laloifi  Charlotte Wilson  Madeline Guerin
Centreline:  Lauren Brazzale  Grace Egan  Jessica Edwards
Half-forwards:  Mimi Hill  Nicola Stevens Jess Hosking
Forwards: Darcy Vescio  Tayla Harris
Followers: Breann Moody Elise O'Dea Madison Prespakis
Interchange: Abbie McKay  Daisy Walker  Georgia Gee  Alison Downie  Lucy McEvoy

Emergencies:  Serena Gibbs  Natalie Plane

Good to see Gibbs getting on the emergencies list. I suspect Al Downie might be 'managed' ala Katie Loynes in the coming weeks to give Gibbs her shot.

Reply #12
CARLTON

B: K.Harrington 9 G.Pound 6 
HB: V.Laloifi 8 C.Wilson 20 M.Guerin 18
C: L.Brazzale 12 G.Egan 1 J.Edwards 25
HF: M.Hill 10 N.Stevens 21 J.Hosking 11
F: D.Vescio 3 T.Harris 7
R: B.Moody 16 E.O'Dea 46 M.Prespakis 4
Int: A.McKay 5 D.Walker 23 G.Gee 19 A.Downie 30 L.McEvoy 13 

Emerg: S.Gibbs 33 N.Plane 32  

In: J.Edwards
Out: K.Loynes (managed)

RICHMOND

B: R.Miller 15 H.Cordner 23 
HB: P.Monahan 2 S.D'Arcy 12 I.Ross 21
C: K.Dempsey 19 S.Hosking 7 T.Lavey 37
HF: C.Wakefield 8 E.McKenzie 22 K.Brennan 3
F: T.Stahl 24 S.Frederick 14
Foll: G.Seymour 28 K.Jacques 10 M.Conti 4
I/C: S.Sansonetti 18 H.Burchell 9 S.Dargan 17 S.Molan 1 M.Brancatisano 5 

Emerg: C.Bernardi 6 L.McClelland 16 

No changes

Jess Edwards to play on Conti or Sarah Hosking?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
Jess Edwards to play on Conti or Sarah Hosking?

Conti would be too dangerous and Sarah wouldn't be worth a tag IMO. She gets the hard ball and will continue to do that tag or otherwise.

I reckon Edwards will go to Brennan.
She doesn't like a tag, and if left free can cost you the win.

Conti is the one we need to stop, not sure we have someone capable of doing it, but i wouldn't mind seeing Gee lineup on her which would allow Gee to be free and hurt Conti the other way.
If i was the tigers though, i'd be tagging Gee, so they might not want that to happen.

Reply #14
Commentators doing a number on Prespakis for tackling Sarah Hosking with vigour, but the side on video showed there was nothing in it, yet the commentators (Kelli Underwood?) keep calling it a spear tackle!

Prespakis is actually below Sarah.H in the tackle, and Sarah tries to jump through the tackle which contributes to the tackle momentum.

Beat up the game Kelli, not the players!
The Force Awakens!