Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Party!: AFL 2020 Rd 3: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 11500 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Party!: AFL 2020 Rd 3: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #60
[1] I was really please with our 1st 3 quarters. We wanted the ball and we planned well. Running out of gas in the last quarter was a problem.
[2] When the pressure was on in the last quarter we went away from the short kicks and planning that worked so well early. Bombing the ball down did work, but it is our default. We have to work on that.
[3] Whoever is working on the kicking needs to get into Jack Silvagni's ear. When he came to us, he was an excellent shot at goal who rarely missed. Now he is a 50:50 bet at best. We really need to get him kicking like he did when he first started.
The other thing is that he is still a very good snap at goal, but rarely gets the chance to do that any longer. So, if that is where he is at mentally, then get him going back, taking his time, and the playing on and kicking a snap. He is not the only player going around who does that by preference.
[4] SPS had a very solid defensive game last night, but didn't run off his man at all. We miss that. When he is at his best, his run and excellent disposal sets us up from defence.
[5] H might need some time in the twos. His kicking and decision making were costly yesterday. He also needs to really work with the kicking coach.
[6] Pittonet had a really good game yesterday. But even he was running low on the juice at the end. We need a 2nd option to help him in the ruck. if H is still down on form, I'd bring in de Koning sooner rather than later. he is a very different type of ruckman, who uses his spring to get the ball. That would be very handy. Not to mention that he can take some really big marks.
[7] Our midfield depth is a problem. Cripps was great yesterday, and I was pleased with Martin went into the middle for periods. he was good there. I'd continue doing that. Setters did a negative job quite well for 3 quarters, but he went missing late and he didn't get enough kicks. Murphy was down yesterday, but I'd like to see him spend time on the forward pocket. We need some of our youngsters to stand up and take some pressure off Ed and Cripps.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #61
Whilst I’m not a fan of his staging and overreactions on the field, I don’t share the hate some people seem to have of him. Sometimes I think his biggest sin is that he has a personality.

What about Selwood - their first goal in Q1 after he 'fell' when Willo nudged him.

How can the umps be so dumb?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #62
What about Selwood - their first goal in Q1 after he 'fell' when Willo nudged him.

And the pr1ck was dropping his knees towards the end trying to draw another high tackle free - I can't stand him, many of their player or their coach. Selwood was a great leader no doubt but he isn't what he was and as a team I reckon they will be rebuilding after they fail this year.

His handling of the half time interview pretty much sums him and that team up - not going like he expected so said 3 words then turned walked off like a sook before the interviewer was able to reply.

Stevens looks like he is cooked. Body is not up to AFL standard. Why play him when obviously not fit or ready? They disrespected us that's why!

Kane Cornes gave it to Walker for his lack of preparation and body shape wonder if he has the balls to comment on Stevens as he looked a lot worse shape then Walker. Bet he doesn't say a word.

Reply #63

That was a shocker. I think the Umps were told to be severe on that sort of thing due to the Bulldogs vs Giants thing, but that was incredibly soft. As was the free to their ruckman when he grabbed Simmo and wouldn't let him follow Ablett. Incredible.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #64
And the pr1ck was dropping his knees towards the end trying to draw another high tackle free - I can't stand him, many of their player or their coach. Selwood was a great leader no doubt but he isn't what he was and as a team I reckon they will be rebuilding after they fail this year.

His handling of the half time interview pretty much sums him and that team up - not going like he expected so said 3 words then turned walked off like a sook before the interviewer was able to reply.

Stevens looks like he is cooked. Body is not up to AFL standard. Why play him when obviously not fit or ready? They disrespected us that's why!

Kane Cornes gave it to Walker for his lack of preparation and body shape wonder if he has the balls to comment on Stevens as he looked a lot worse shape then Walker. Bet he doesn't say a word.

When I looked at it on the ground after the game, I thought it was some supporter who had snuck on the ground. Then saw it was Jack Stevens.

Reply #65
The Cats were a very sullen bunch after the final siren. Could hardly be stuffed to shake hands as they shuffled off the ground, sense of entitlement seriously popped. 😁👍
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #66
I was pleased that last night's game validated the 2nd half of last year. Last 2 1/2 qtrs last week showed we have it but rightly got left in the dust of pissing 4 points down the drain. Last night will do us good. Teague said the last qtr was all mental as we stopped attacking and went down the line trying to save the game, which is confidence. Hopefully now we'll have that confidence.

Reply #67
[1] I was really please with our 1st 3 quarters. We wanted the ball and we planned well. Running out of gas in the last quarter was a problem.
[2] When the pressure was on in the last quarter we went away from the short kicks and planning that worked so well early. Bombing the ball down did work, but it is our default. We have to work on that.
[3] Whoever is working on the kicking needs to get into Jack Silvagni's ear. When he came to us, he was an excellent shot at goal who rarely missed. Now he is a 50:50 bet at best. We really need to get him kicking like he did when he first started.
The other thing is that he is still a very good snap at goal, but rarely gets the chance to do that any longer. So, if that is where he is at mentally, then get him going back, taking his time, and the playing on and kicking a snap. He is not the only player going around who does that by preference.
[4] SPS had a very solid defensive game last night, but didn't run off his man at all. We miss that. When he is at his best, his run and excellent disposal sets us up from defence.
[5] H might need some time in the twos. His kicking and decision making were costly yesterday. He also needs to really work with the kicking coach.
[6] Pittonet had a really good game yesterday. But even he was running low on the juice at the end. We need a 2nd option to help him in the ruck. if H is still down on form, I'd bring in de Koning sooner rather than later. he is a very different type of ruckman, who uses his spring to get the ball. That would be very handy. Not to mention that he can take some really big marks.
[7] Our midfield depth is a problem. Cripps was great yesterday, and I was pleased with Martin went into the middle for periods. he was good there. I'd continue doing that. Setters did a negative job quite well for 3 quarters, but he went missing late and he didn't get enough kicks. Murphy was down yesterday, but I'd like to see him spend time on the forward pocket. We need some of our youngsters to stand up and take some pressure off Ed and Cripps.

Happy with the win but we dont have enough mids who can get 30 plus possies every week and take the heat of Cripps and its an on going problem. Was a bit surprised the Cats didnt use Guthrie on Cripps and preferred him on Walsh and went with the likes of Dangerfield, Selwood rotating off Cripps.
SPS still isnt giving us enough and we are caught in that 50/50 with Martin that you want to use him directly on the ball more but dont want to lose what he offers in terms of forward work and being the bloke who is running the ball in rather than being a coalface player. Setterfield does his best work when he has a job IMO, just doesnt get enough ball around the ground.
Walsh is getting more attention this season and i reckon it might be time to give Kennedy another go in the middle as well as down forward rotating with Jack who I would also run through the midfield.
Fisher being out and not being in the mix hasnt helped either..I rate him highly and even though he was down last season I think he has the class we need around the coalface.

Reply #68
The last quarter went for over 25 minutes....
Is that another afl error, or red time?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #69
Time in front.

Geelong - 000:00
Carlton - 101:52

That says all thete is to say.

BLUES were the best
Cats were the losers.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #70
SPS still isnt giving us enough .
SPS had a very solid defensive game last night, but didn't run off his man at all.

Was SPS on Ablett?  If so, he did a great job.

Reply #71
Interesting to see the tactics, just watched the replay.

Multiple times Docherty and SImmo kicked out to contests involving Dangerfield against either Cripps or one of our KPPs.

That cannot be an accident. I suspect we were deliberately making him defend to drag him into the contest and stop him running freely off on the turnovers. It seemed to work, he had very little influence and was continually stuck in traffic.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
The Cats were a very sullen bunch after the final siren. Could hardly be stuffed to shake hands as they shuffled off the ground, sense of entitlement seriously popped. 😁👍

Mind you I’d rather my side looked pi22ed after a loss like that, entitled or not, rather than laughing and high fiving the winners!

Reply #73
Happy with the win but we dont have enough mids who can get 30 plus possies every week and take the heat of Cripps and its an on going problem. Was a bit surprised the Cats didnt use Guthrie on Cripps and preferred him on Walsh and went with the likes of Dangerfield, Selwood rotating off Cripps.
SPS still isnt giving us enough and we are caught in that 50/50 with Martin that you want to use him directly on the ball more but dont want to lose what he offers in terms of forward work and being the bloke who is running the ball in rather than being a coalface player. Setterfield does his best work when he has a job IMO, just doesnt get enough ball around the ground.
Walsh is getting more attention this season and i reckon it might be time to give Kennedy another go in the middle as well as down forward rotating with Jack who I would also run through the midfield.
Fisher being out and not being in the mix hasnt helped either..I rate him highly and even though he was down last season I think he has the class we need around the coalface.
Re Fisher, he has the tools but like many of the players, doesnt do it anywhere near log enough.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #74
I knew getting Eddie back would make a hell of a difference ... but just not by how much.

That pass to Murphy, the holding the ball tackle awarded a free kick are just the hallmarks of impeccable timing.  Should have never let him go in the first place.  He's simply so good.