Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 9361 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #45
Again with the insipid start. Seems a good start from us is the exception, not the rule.

This is a very undisciplined group, with little to no desperation/ruthlessness or initiative.

We look our best when opponents tire a little, because when opponents are fresh and applying deep pressure, we resort to type...surrender - just cannot and do not push back immediately, two fold (let's not pressure the opposition with strong tackles... nuh). We seem to like it 'easy' and nice and offensive. Soft? Certainly between the lugholes.

The midfield coaches obviously took over the reins again for this game.

Mighta worked for Adelaide to have 3 talls up forward but it sure doesn't work for us... H should not have played last night - too top heavy on a fast track against a fast team.

The Juddmeister needs to talk more with Crippa about how to handle tags early and how to be ready from the get-go.

Ratts sure is a terrific tactician and game day coach, gets the best out of his group - has learned well. The TT is still learning but had better get a wriggle on. Should be a fckn huge magnifying glass put on the midfield coaches.

The players seem to love a greater emphasis on attractive, offensive footy and the bruise free element that comes with it.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #46
Our midfield, Cripps aside,  is full of flawed players.   Big enough but won't attack contest,  determination but no size,  no pace,  poor skills but a great runner, great athlete but dumb footballer, undersized blah blah blah.   As Spanner says...twenty plus years of this crap.   Surely we can recruit midfielders suited to the modern game,  even if they are bloody flukes,  surely!?!
Still lack physical size around the ball and we were bullied by hackers like Kent, Clark, even Gresham was pushing our blokes around.
Teams don't fear us, you need presence as well as skill and we don't have it.
We have a list of Von Trapp nice kids and no mongrels who can get the likes of Steele off Cripps, Walsh etc..

Reply #47
One of our blokes couldn't even pick the ball up after a free was given. Steele hovered over the ball blocking access and our player tried a gentle push to move him and couldnt.
A bigger mate should have just grabbed Steele and flung him out the way.. but we don't operate that way.

Reply #48
I hate to say it guys because it's so freaking obvious,  but we need a ruthless tough midfielder like Roswell more than any other club. Instead we get.... Crickets.

Our younger midfielders are all so wanting it's scary,  and not all are kids,  some are well in excess of 50 games. Why aren't they coming on.?

Walsh,  Cunningham, Kennedy,  Fisher,  Dow,  SPS, Setterfield,  Lachie O'Brien, Kemp (supposedly a midfielder - that's a lie SoS),  Gibbons,  Philps...that's a generation of drafting right there.  Where's the A grade midfield... I just don't see it.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #49
In fairness they did rally and there were some great passages of play that showed we had it and strength but then... dumb Turnover! I am sure that happened 3 times. The across goals ones were just so lazy and the sps killed what would’ve probably been a goal.

McG’s tapping the ball back into play running thru the oppo goal posts: what the hell was he thinking? For someone on lower $ watching that guy do that must be so frustrating. Just dumb.

Reply #50
I’m trying very hard to be positive and while I know this is bad football we handed them at least 4 goals from direct turnovers.
Willo easy missed mark on wing turned over goal, Jones x2 passes that missed resulted in goals and SPS 20 metre pass in the middle of the ground when we had momentum was rebounded for saints goal.
Plus not many games where majority of our senior players have a quiet game and it’s amazing we weren’t pumped.
And some very soft frees on top. They were the better team and made the most of their chances so they deserved the win but reckon 3 years ago this would have been a 10 goal plus hiding.
Still not good enough but I guess there is some light in this loss if you want to be a glass half full supporter.

Simmo did one too early
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51
Look there were some horrible, horrible aspects to the game (H, Gov & Levi, along with the zero tackles stat, along with some terrible turnovers), but I am not as concerned with it as some

Aside from the first Q and a bit - where absolutely EVERYTHING went right for the Saints (all coaching moves came off, all bounces went their way, none of the front running was hurt the other way, EVERY free/50/downfield went their way), we easily won the rest of the game - just couldnt hurt them on the scoreboard.  Now, maybe this was just further evidence that we can win when the heat is out of the game - not sure

We do need to sort out what to do when Cripps is taken out - but we also need to have the AFL look into why he is allowed to be mauled at every stoppage.

Reply #52
I couldn’t believe the free kick count was so high but there were a few that weren’t given - the HTH a number of times against the sts yet always given to us, the deliberate attempt at throwing the ball out which of not given for that should’ve been incorrect disposal in front of a boundary umpire, nothing. A few times our guys got barrelled into from behind and only the last time it happened in junk time was it paid.

The Murphy 50m against? I thought that was going our way but no.

Ratts was never going to let this one go - it’ll be interesting to see how the Sts go next game.

Reply #53
Look there were some horrible, horrible aspects to the game (H, Gov & Levi, along with the zero tackles stat, along with some terrible turnovers), but I am not as concerned with it as some

Aside from the first Q and a bit - where absolutely EVERYTHING went right for the Saints (all coaching moves came off, all bounces went their way, none of the front running was hurt the other way, EVERY free/50/downfield went their way), we easily won the rest of the game - just couldnt hurt them on the scoreboard.  Now, maybe this was just further evidence that we can win when the heat is out of the game - not sure

We do need to sort out what to do when Cripps is taken out - but we also need to have the AFL look into why he is allowed to be mauled at every stoppage.

Yes absolutely, Steele held him off the ball time and time again.

Curnow was poor last night like many others. Kennedy or SOJ to get a real run in the guts. Both have a bit of nasty in them?

Thought teague was very slow to react last night.

But ultimately give up cheap turnovers as we did so often you won't win many at this level.

I would be dropping Simmo prefer to blood a stocker type.

Big H is woefully out of touch.

Newnes? Surely O'Brien deserves a crack now?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #54
Yes absolutely, Steele held him off the ball time and time again.

Curnow was poor last night like many others. Kennedy or SOJ to get a real run in the guts. Both have a bit of nasty in them?

Thought teague was very slow to react last night.

But ultimately give up cheap turnovers as we did so often you won't win many at this level.

I would be dropping Simmo prefer to blood a stocker type.

Big H is woefully out of touch.

Newnes? Surely O'Brien deserves a crack now?
O'Brien won't add much bite, prefer to try Stocker, Kennedy and even Honey who can survive in a physical environment.
O'brien and Dow really are struggling if players like Philp, Newnes etc are ahead of the in selection.. Not good enough for top ten picks..

Reply #55
I'd like to give a big middle finger to all the clowns bitching about Merrett getting a week for a "love tap".  Yes,  busted ribs, hardly worth a report.  End result is that we lost a very valuable player,  who adds a lot of hardness and flexibility and we couldn't cover that.   He might not be the classiest player but he gives 100% and that's something that too many on our list don't understand.  They haven't committed like that bloke has.

Reply #56
Stocker to defense, SPS into middle,  Walsh onto a wing.

Reply #57
O'Brien won't add much bite, prefer to try Stocker, Kennedy and even Honey who can survive in a physical environment.
O'brien and Dow really are struggling if players like Philp, Newnes etc are ahead of the in selection.. Not good enough for top ten picks..

Disagree EB, think O'Brien delivers the ball well, at length, into I50.

Has some ticker too. But kennedy deserves a gig first. BOG two weeks running in the 2s.

It's been a tough year for the kids - Dow has a knee but even if fit, hard to find form with no 2s competition?

My changes for next week?

OUT: Newnes, Simmo, McKay, Philp.

IN: Stocker, Fisher, Kennedy, SOJ.

McGovern stays by default.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
Reality is it was a quiet night for Murphy & Curnow, and Simmo didn't have a great first half.

We seem to rely on them and Cripps every week.  Where are the other guys to stand up and take some heat and want to win?

Who is standing up to take over when the 3 seniors retire soon? No one looks to be rushing at the gate to be next in line. It's a huge worry. 

Reply #59
Disagree EB, think O'Brien delivers the ball well, at length, into I50.

Has some ticker too. But kennedy deserves a gig first. BOG two weeks running in the 2s.

It's been a tough year for the kids - Dow has a knee but even if fit, hard to find form with no 2s competition?

My changes for next week?

OUT: Newnes, Simmo, McKay, Philp.

IN: Stocker, Fisher, Kennedy, SOJ.

McGovern stays by default.

Fly,I know its harsh but Obrien doesnt stick tackles, doesnt always attack the ball properly and his kicking is over rated as half of them end up in the crowd.
If a runt like Philp is getting a game ahead of Obrien it doesnt say much for the latter....
I like your ins  but would drop McGovern and give Harry another chance.