Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 9362 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 5: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #60
Disagree EB, think O'Brien delivers the ball well, at length, into I50.

Has some ticker too. But kennedy deserves a gig first. BOG two weeks running in the 2s.

It's been a tough year for the kids - Dow has a knee but even if fit, hard to find form with no 2s competition?

My changes for next week?

OUT: Newnes, Simmo, McKay, Philp.

IN: Stocker, Fisher, Kennedy, SOJ.

McGovern stays by default.

Simo not getting dropped anytime soon.

Kennedy , SOJ and Cripps cannot all play together =  SLOW

Stocker would want to become a player as I think supporters high hopes far outweigh his
 injury prone history and limited output to date.

McGovern dosnt seem to run to the right spots.  But our disposal into forward 50 couldn't be any worse.
We just bomb it on their heads and hope the talls can take a mark. It doesn't get delivered.

Our leaders didnt lay a tackle in the first half. Not a single tackle.

Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #61
I absolutely know they will dish up the crap they did last night again, they have form. Dunno which team you have been watching.
I'm sick of pissing 4 points down the drain through not being switched on. We've shown we can match it with any team but we just waste it too often. No point giving away 6 goals starts then whittling down to bugger all and losing, or, like last night, cut back half the margin. We showed against Geelong what we can do when we turn up to play. For 3 qtrs we smashed them on their own dog patch with sublime football. That's the standard and I expect it kept to. This has less to do with ability and more to do with a piss poor attitude. We're 8-8 under Teague, which we would've accepted at the time of his appointment, but $hit, we should've won quite a few more. We have just simply pissed so many games down the drain and has to stop.

Reply #62
Fly,I know its harsh but Obrien doesnt stick tackles, doesnt always attack the ball properly and his kicking is over rated as half of them end up in the crowd.
If a runt like Philp is getting a game ahead of Obrien it doesnt say much for the latter....
I like your ins  but would drop McGovern and give Harry another chance.

Different roles EB and Fisher will come in for Philp.

Tackles?

12 players had zero up to half time.

Full game?

Samo 1
Plow 1
Tommy W   1
Doc   0
Newnes   0
Simmo    0
Walsh    0
Weiters    0

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #63
Hard to measure the metal of forwards or defenders this week because our ball use was a bad as it's ever been in the last 5 years. Soft turnover after soft turnover.

It looks to me like 3 close games in a row removed all the run out of our guys, they had heavy legs from the first bounce and it was obvious. Cripps, Pittonet, Levi, Jones, Plowman looked like they were running on sloppy beach sand. Lots of effort for very little motion.

In the last three weeks the Aints had two pretty soft results and were basically spectators in the other game. They had their version of our last night two weeks ago against the Filth.

I realise a lot of people have been Pittonet boosters, but in reality the game versus Gawn and last night are the true comparison to front line AFL rucks. Pittonet's aggression helps him star against B-Graders, but he was basically bullied last night by a guy who's on trajectory to be one of the AFL's best.

On last night, how the feck can King just throw Weitering to the ground 2 or 3 times, once not even facing the football?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
Hard to measure the metal of forwards or defenders this week because our ball use was a bad as it's ever been in the last 5 years. Soft turnover after soft turnover.

It looks to me like 3 close games in a row removed all the run out of our guys, they had heavy legs from the first bounce and it was obvious. Cripps, Pittonet, Levi, Jones, Plowman looked like they were running on sloppy beach sand. Lots of effort for very little motion.

In the last three weeks the Aints had two pretty soft results and were basically spectators in the other game. They had their version of our last night two weeks ago against the Filth.

I realise a lot of people have been Pittonet boosters, but in reality the game versus Gawn and last night are the true comparison to front line AFL rucks. Pittonet's aggression helps him star against B-Graders, but he was basically bullied last night by a guy who's on trajectory to be one of the AFL's best.

On last night, how the feck can King just throw Weitering to the ground 2 or 3 times, once not even facing the football?

Make some good points

Reply #65
Still lack physical size around the ball and we were bullied by hackers like Kent, Clark, even Gresham was pushing our blokes around.
Teams don't fear us, you need presence as well as skill and we don't have it.
We have a list of Von Trapp nice kids and no mongrels who can get the likes of Steele off Cripps, Walsh etc..

In the old days, Carrazzo would do this, he'd let the tagger/harasser know in no uncertain terms to F-Off.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66

I realise a lot of people have been Pittonet boosters, but in reality the game versus Gawn and last night are the true comparison to front line AFL rucks. Pittonet's aggression helps him star against B-Graders, but he was basically bullied last night by a guy who's on trajectory to be one of the AFL's best.

So everyone had heavy legs but Pittonet didn't?

Like Weiters getting easily outmarked by King, it was obvious Pittonet was 'tired'.....remember the guy has played about 5 or 6 games at this level....

Not sure why you single him out, he was off like many yet still managed 22 hit outs (same as Marshall).

Casboult can also ruck much better - he was out of sorts last night - some of the marks he missed.....crazy.

Steele holding Cripps off the ball blatantly must be addressed by the Club.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #67
There was lots of infringing last night.

Only Carlton were pulled up for most of it.  They gave us Philps goal in the same way they gave st. Kilda a 4 or 5 goal headstart.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #68
In fairness they did rally and there were some great passages of play that showed we had it and strength but then... dumb Turnover! I am sure that happened 3 times. The across goals ones were just so lazy and the sps killed what would’ve probably been a goal.

McG’s tapping the ball back into play running thru the oppo goal posts: what the hell was he thinking? For someone on lower $ watching that guy do that must be so frustrating. Just dumb.
Dumb 50s, Dumb switches of play to 2 on 1s. These just dont happen every know and then, they happen all too often. People criticize the umps all the time, but was I the only one that noticed the repeat offended for HTB was Curnow? I counted at least 3 where he made no attempt what so ever to dispose of the ball, in a week were its been discussed ad nauseam and you know the umps are gonna be red hot on it. How many games has he played?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #69
I know it's a screwed up season but our recruiting over the last few years (and the reasons behind them) should prompt a serious review and an all out attack on securing at least two big names.  Kreuzer, Murphy and Simpson must go by virtue of form if not age.  They're not alone by any means.

We can't continue "financing" incompetence.  At any level. 

Reply #70
I'm sick of pissing 4 points down the drain through not being switched on. We've shown we can match it with any team but we just waste it too often. No point giving away 6 goals starts then whittling down to bugger all and losing, or, like last night, cut back half the margin. We showed against Geelong what we can do when we turn up to play. For 3 qtrs we smashed them on their own dog patch with sublime football. That's the standard and I expect it kept to. This has less to do with ability and more to do with a piss poor attitude. We're 8-8 under Teague, which we would've accepted at the time of his appointment, but $hit, we should've won quite a few more. We have just simply pissed so many games down the drain and has to stop.
120% agree with you, what I am saying is that it wont stop anytime soon, at least I cant see it.  They have form.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #71

Like Weiters getting easily outmarked by King, it was obvious Pittonet was 'tired'.....remember the guy has played about 5 or 6 games at this level....

Not sure why you single him out, he was off like many yet still managed 22 hit outs (same as Marshall).

Casboult can also ruck much better - he was out of sorts last night - some of the marks he missed.....crazy.

Steele holding Cripps off the ball blatantly must be addressed by the Club.

Pitto was nowhere near our worst, dont undestand some of the criticism. Wasnt slaughtered by Marshall as some are saying.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #72
Pitto had the most tackles on the ground for us.

How damning is that stat !!
Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #73

Weitering had problems because King wasn't required by the umpire to obey the rules, and because our lack of pressure up the field on the Aints ball-carrier left him one out at a disadvantage.

Pittonet and Casboult were beaten by superior ruckmen at the coalface with or without the tired legs, no external errors or excuses about a lack of team pressure or ball use are applicable. They are the first contest, and nobody is going to claim they broke even despite what the stats say. They were competitive, at least after 1/4 time, but that is far away from breaking even or winning.

You cannot claim you were in the contest if you run 2nd in a marathon a kilometre behind the winner!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
Pittonet was reasonable because he competed...
re: Cripps and Steele....our man needs to make a statement, he walked to the middle saw Steele and their was resignation in his eyes
that it was going to be tough night and wasnt proactive enough.
Steele started the push and shove stuff and Cripps didnt react hard enough, one thing I have noticed with Bontempelli is that he wont put up with the holding/ manhandling anymore and will fight back rather than relying on the umpires.
I watched him take a great mark running back with the flight of the ball and his tagger didnt want a bar of it as the Bont crashed into him and kept his footing. Cripps is  too much the gentleman and its going to have to change, even softies like Cotchin respond now and as much as I hate J.Selwood he goes hard back at players who try and bully him.

Cripps needs to set the example or we can look forward to him, Docherty and Walsh being bullied every week.