Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2022 Rd 12 Carlton vs Essendon at Windy Hill (Read 3216 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2022 Rd 12 Carlton vs Essendon at Windy Hill

Reply #45
Phillips will be sent on his way as soon as Essendon have another ruck ready to roll. If they think Bryan’s that guy, bye bye Phillips.
Phillips can come back to us. Decent backup with a decent mark. Perfect to lead our VFL team and give us depth.

Reply #46
Not a real fan of Setterfield and his contested work which has always been disappointing, relying on him vs a team like Richmond in an important game would concern me.
Not sure who Essendon had in the middle in the VFL but I want to see evidence for more than one game that he can produce consistent contested football vs some half decent players.

Thought very similarly re Setters, but Saturday's game has shown that he's been working on his game (L. Power influence?) and there were noticeable improvements in areas he needed to improve upon. There was more 'body' in his contests rather than relying entirely on his 'hands.' Won't be at all surprised if he gets a recall.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #47
To be fair Setters was played on the wing in AFL he is another long list of natural inside mids that struggles with flexibility

Reply #48
To be fair Setters was played on the wing in AFL he is another long list of natural inside mids that struggles with flexibility
Ill guess and say sadly, Setters, Dow and Philp have extremely limited careers at Carlton. Given their draft profiles, the types of players they are and how long they have been languishing in the twos is a tell I reckon.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
Ill guess and say sadly, Setters, Dow and Philp have extremely limited careers at Carlton. Given their draft profiles, the types of players they are and how long they have been languishing in the twos is a tell I reckon.

In some respects, I guess, 2022 is the year that Vossy and his coaching group get to encourage and see the best from everyone. In crude terms, who are the hackers and non-hackers re our new game plan/culture.

I reckon Setters and Philp deserve every opportunity this year. Sadly, I think, the Dow ship has sailed.

Reply #50
In some respects, I guess, 2022 is the year that Vossy and his coaching group get to encourage and see the best from everyone. In crude terms, who are the hackers and non-hackers re our new game plan/culture.

I reckon Setters and Philp deserve every opportunity this year. Sadly, I think, the Dow ship has sailed.
Out of interest Baggers, why have you categorised the three above as such?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #51
Out of interest Baggers, why have you categorised the three above as such?
I saw a willingness to change from Setters on Saturday - let's see where it takes him. I'm not convinced yet but prepared to be wrong re my former criticisms of him.
Philp is still really raw but shows really positive glimpses, just needs to learn to impose himself more and for longer.
Dow still seems one dimensional to me. Really impressive once he can collect, run and dash. Would want to see much more defensive play from him; a willingness to put his body in more. Not hopeful, but, hey, he's got a few months to develop this area of his game - intensity at the man and aggot.

Reply #52

Dow is contracted so I think he will be traded and look for a fresh start. Setters is no world beater but will provide depth when needed good over head, god disposal can win the contested ball and kick a goal when he is on. Philp is contracted and needs time - starting to get continuity in his football now after all the interruptions . He has good attributes, tackles hard, fast, good kick. Just doesn't get involved enough at the moment. Hopefully that will come to him soon because he will be an asset if it does.

Reply #53
Dow is contracted so I think he will be traded and look for a fresh start. Setters is no world beater but will provide depth when needed good over head, god disposal can win the contested ball and kick a goal when he is on. Philp is contracted and needs time - starting to get continuity in his football now after all the interruptions . He has good attributes, tackles hard, fast, good kick. Just doesn't get involved enough at the moment. Hopefully that will come to him soon because he will be an asset if it does.
Setters good disposal? I must be watching someone else.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #54
Setters good disposal? I must be watching someone else.
Agree...kicks lollypops up in the air and has been guilty of avoiding heavy contests, while he is a good size he isnt a bash and crash mid like Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett but doesnt have the finesse or skill level like Cerra to play as that distributor type mid either.
He will get his share of ball in the twos playing on newbie kids from the burbs but I cant see him staying on the list even as backup unless Voss sees something in him that I dont. Maybe he follows instructions well, trains hard etc etc but I dont see him improving, you look at Obrien and he never looks comfortable playing contested footy but he does have a go now and tries his best which is all you can ask. I have never felt Setterfield has pushed himself or given max effort very often and like Obrien did he needs a body of work in the twos to justify senior selection IMO.

Reply #55
Agree...kicks lollypops up in the air and has been guilty of avoiding heavy contests, while he is a good size he isnt a bash and crash mid like Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett but doesnt have the finesse or skill level like Cerra to play as that distributor type mid either.
He will get his share of ball in the twos playing on newbie kids from the burbs but I cant see him staying on the list even as backup unless Voss sees something in him that I dont. Maybe he follows instructions well, trains hard etc etc but I dont see him improving, you look at Obrien and he never looks comfortable playing contested footy but he does have a go now and tries his best which is all you can ask. I have never felt Setterfield has pushed himself or given max effort very often and like Obrien did he needs a body of work in the twos to justify senior selection IMO.
When you're listed as a Midfielder and are 192cm, its fashionable irrespective if whether you can play the game or not.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #56
Voss told Kennedy at the start of the year that there are only 2 inside midfield spots.

Cripps and Kennedy have the spots. Dow and Setterfield are back up to those guys.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #57
Voss told Kennedy at the start of the year that there are only 2 inside midfield spots.

Cripps and Kennedy have the spots. Dow and Setterfield are back up to those guys.
What about George?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #59
I'm assuming his primary role is to run with someone, his inside work is bonus. Really he should be All Australian.
Tough field for AA mids, reckon the Freo Brayshaw will probably get that spot that George would be vying for.....surprise might be Crisp from Collingwood.