Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 3685 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #120
One thing i did notice, was that our handball game looked fantastic (linking in chains, and good exits from the contest),  but our field kicking was woeful

Reply #121
One thing i did notice, was that our handball game looked fantastic (linking in chains, and good exits from the contest),  but our field kicking was woeful

I don't know if there's a statistic for handball chains but we certainly used them to good effect.  It's becoming a feature of modern footy and I think we're leading the way.

I thought that our field kicking was OK, and better than Richmond's, but we had several players whose kicking was really off, eg Saad, Williams, Curnow, Owies, Fantasia.  The other side of the coin is that McGovern, Young, Kemp, Newman, Cerra, Cuningham and Fogarty used the ball really well.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #122
I think Boyd's kicking has let him down at the start of this season, he has been horribly inconsistent, but then retrospectively we hear that we've been on a heavy training load and that means tired legs. Saad has been similar, but he's on Ramadan, I can't recall if it affected him previously.

But in fairness as defenders they wear the heat for errors, a forward can have worse efficiency and seem OK.

Fantasia however is going at 45%, I've no idea why, Doc with one bung leg for half a game went at 60%.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
I think Boyd's kicking has let him down at the start of this season, he has been horribly inconsistent, but then retrospectively we hear that we've been on a heavy training load and that means tired legs. Saad has been similar, but he's on Ramadan, I can't recall if it affected him previously.

But in fairness as defenders they wear the heat for errors, a forward can have worse efficiency and seem OK.

Fantasia however is going at 45%, I've no idea why, Doc with one bung leg for half a game went at 60%.

You need to look hand in hand with contested/unconctested possessions.

You can go at 75% DE when most of your possessions are uncontested and that is terrible.
You can go at 75% DE when most of your possessions are contested and that is superhuman.

Reply #124
Fantasia's Kicking Efficiency% is 16%, just 1 good kick from 9 so far this season.

His CP(10)/UP(9) ratio is effectively 1:1

At least we know if his DE% was 45%, and his KE% was 16%, he must have hit a few handball targets! :o

The more I look, the worse it gets, so I've stopped looking.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
Fantasia's Kicking Efficiency% is 16%, just 1 good kick from 9 so far this season.

His CP(10)/UP(9) ratio is effectively 1:1

At least we know if his DE% was 45%, and his KE% was 16%, he must have hit a few handball targets! :o

The more I look, the worse it gets, so I've stopped looking.

I cant see for the life of me what the purpose was of getting this bloke into the club. He got gifted the first 2 games and showed SFA.

We have coverage in that area and even if he stayed on the park and played near his best I still prefer Motlop and Durdin over him.

Reply #126
I cant see for the life of me what the purpose was of getting this bloke into the club. He got gifted the first 2 games and showed SFA.

We have coverage in that area and even if he stayed on the park and played near his best I still prefer Motlop and Durdin over him.

Agree.

Called it early that we didn't need extra small forwards, rather taller KPPs, either backs or forwards.

But it was a 'free hit'. So be it.
I would've preferred a 'free hit' at something we needed, but i'm not in charge.

He better find some form come seasons end and produce in finals.

Reply #127
Fantasia is in good physical shape which was the challenge just needs to find some form.

Reply #128

Moneyball pick, came for free, can fill a role when needed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #129
Moneyball pick, came for free, can fill a role when needed.

And for all of his poor kicking, he managed to deliver the ball lace out for two goal assists against Brisbane.

I watched a replay of the Richmond game today and it was interesting to see how much time Fantasia spent in defence.  He did miss a few targets by hand, but was in heavy traffic and/or being slung/tackled.

I don’t think he has been anywhere near as bad as some folk like to think … particularly when he cost us nothing and provides cover for our first choice small forwards.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #130
Fantasia is clearly underdone and would have been playing VFL had Motlop not been injured. So it's a good thing we had him there as a back up, had a couple of moments late in the Brisbane game that helped get us over the line.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #131
I'm not happy that Fantasia is falling short, I think we needed a serious SF/HF to mentor and to push Motlop for a slot and I had hoped Fantasia would be the potentially the right choice, but to me he looks cooked.

At this stage I suspect Motlop will waltz into the squad and that's not good for us or him!

Also I really didn't understand Durdin's selection last week, I get it that he has worked hard, but through pre-season for me Binns deserved a crack if we were going for the small running type!

It can be hard to judge the efficacy of our SFs, the better Harry and Charlie play, combined with TDK and Cripps floating forward, the less opportunity there is for the SFs to show their wares.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132
Fantasia is a footballer. 

He does a few little things that show his aptitude as a player.  For me the important hole he fills is a leadership one for the younger small forwards.  Durdin and motlop might learn a bit off him.  It's intangible.  We'll see how he goes, but im not writing him off yet.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #133
I like Martin, Motlop and Cottrell as my small forward setup, dont think C Durdin has shown much during his intermittent senior appearances as he just cant get the ball enough and Orazio looks like he still has some skills/smarts but he is off the pace of the game and late with his decision making and needs a series of VFL games to work his way back into form. SANFL footy is a step or two behind AFL footy and Fantasia needs more work and may be a better player in the back half of the season or even 2025 if he can avoid his usual injury vacations.

Reply #134
I like Martin, Motlop and Cottrell as my small forward setup, dont think C Durdin has shown much during his intermittent senior appearances as he just cant get the ball enough and Orazio looks like he still has some skills/smarts but he is off the pace of the game and late with his decision making and needs a series of VFL games to work his way back into form. SANFL footy is a step or two behind AFL footy and Fantasia needs more work and may be a better player in the back half of the season or even 2025 if he can avoid his usual injury vacations.
I'll hazard and guess and say, and I do so with sadness, Corey D will be in strife at years end. He would need to have a cracker of a year to avoid the chop me thinks.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time