Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 11177 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #120
Jones is a bit too nice, and under the current rules and video scrutiny there is no really effective way for players to sort this out like the old days.

In the 90s Dixon would limp off with some rib and kidney damage if he kept holding on like that, not necessarily from Jones but perhaps an ally like Plowman or Doc but again they are too nice, something I haven't seen happen since Hodge was a lad!

Really getting this crap sorted is a job for Pittonet if he's going to be our enforcer, nothing like a ruck's knee into your opponents back to help you out!

Dixon charged from the forward line to the middle in one passage of play and our blokes jumped out the road and didnt want to challenge him.He is one of the few rough nuts in the game and the media sell him as that, Jones was intimidated, Dixon is a one off big unit and needed to be double teamed, not sure why we left Jones tackle him on his own all the time and I'm not blaming Jones.
You look at the photo MBB posted and Dixon is a much stronger unit than Jones who isnt small either...it should have been a free but Dixon gets away with it like Barry Hall did because the umps are too weak to call it and would call it a show of strength even though its head high.
In the old days a Andrew Walker would have filled the gap in front of Dixon and taken the lead away, might have led to some pain but Dixon would have alter his game and so would Port.

Reply #121
In the old days a Andrew Walker would have filled the gap in front of Dixon and taken the lead away, might have led to some pain but Dixon would have alter his game and so would Port.
Old days! :o

Aaaah 1AW, we miss you standing on the head of plebs like Carlisle!

Talking about different types of toughness. I saw 1AW one day jogging along Nepean Hwy on the way to PP from our pre-season camp in Portsea. He was just north of Mornington at the time passing the winery midway between there and Mount Eliza, the rest of the squad was going to ride a bike but he choose to jog it! That's 44km down, 71km to go. I'm assuming somebody gave him a lift eventually! I know he mentioned one time in an interview he had became addicted to the fitness stuff, which took a toll on his body.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #122
Dixon charged from the forward line to the middle in one passage of play and our blokes jumped out the road and didnt want to challenge him.He is one of the few rough nuts in the game and the media sell him as that, Jones was intimidated, Dixon is a one off big unit and needed to be double teamed, not sure why we left Jones tackle him on his own all the time and I'm not blaming Jones.
You look at the photo MBB posted and Dixon is a much stronger unit than Jones who isnt small either...it should have been a free but Dixon gets away with it like Barry Hall did because the umps are too weak to call it and would call it a show of strength even thought its head high.

I miss 1AW

Reply #123
I thought we stopped trying to win the game in the last 15 minutes and just tried and hoped to save it. When you are use to winning and expect to win, you keep playing to win. Martin, Murphy and Casboult all missed goals they should have kicked so Port missing goals in the last five minutes are really a distraction from the result. We kept on repelling the ball out of defence but no one really tried to win the ball on the wing and then lock it in our front half. If the ball is in our forward line, there is no way they are going to pass it to Robbie Grey and therefore no goal after the siren. There was criticism of Cuningham on AAA where Loyd said he should have kicked the ball to Casboult when he burst thru the 50. Casboult was free and he should have kicked it to him, but clearly he didn't see him and I have been advocating that players take the game on and try and win it rather than looking to a team mate to take the responsibility, so I am not that critical. The ball just needed to travel a further two meters and the game would have been over. So good on Cuningham for having a go. Just improve the skill level.
We have five or six plus winnable games in our run home, and another three or four in which we should be competitive. We have players doing well in the scratch matches so we have plenty of depth. It is really in our own hands.

Reply #124
We had possession on the wing with 40 seconds left then kicked to a contest. We should have been playing keepings off.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #125

And?
Nothing to see there 😂
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #126
And if Levi Kicks his from right in front we win.
Ifs ands or buts...
If nothing else in the game changed, but in reality the whole game would change, the butterfly effect. There is no way of knowing if that change would be for our better or worse.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127
We had possession on the wing with 40 seconds left then kicked to a contest. We should have been playing keepings off.
 I agree, but I also think that we started defending a very small lead way too early.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128
Terry Wallace pointed out on three separate occasions during the match that the difference Betts and Martin have made to our skill level is significant.

Reply #129
I agree, but I also think that we started defending a very small lead way too early.
Disagree we went defensive too early, just couldnt score.
Watch the last 2 mins:
1. Cunningham could have hit up Betts, Levi or Cripps instead of blazing away on this wrong foot. Game would have been over.
2. Gibbo could have found a loose man and initiated keepings off. Game would have been over.
3. The three talls Gibbo went for all failed to mark or punch the ball over the line.  Game would have been over.
4. When the ball came back in, Jones completely missed the ball when trying to punch it over the line.  Game would have been over.
All attention to detail and execution items that I hope we lean from.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #130
Watch the last 2 mins:
1. Cunningham could have hit up Betts, Levi or Cripps instead of blazing away on this wrong foot. Game would have been over.
2. Gibbo could have found a loose man and initiated keepings off. Game would have been over.
3. The three talls Gibbo went for all failed to mark or punch the ball over the line.  Game would have been over.
4. When the ball came back in, Jones completely missed the ball when trying to punch it over the line.  Game would have been over.

If we'd started properly and not given them a 3 goal start then so much of the last qtr would have only been academic.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #131
Watch the last 2 mins:

Reckon we will, GTC. One of those losses that may in fact be a huge learning experience/catalyst... especially that we can lead a top side, plus starting better and being more strategic in tight circumstances when in front.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #132
Watch the last 2 mins:
You're probably right, but watching live I mentioned to my family with about 5 minutes left I'd detected a shift in our balance or attack and defence that left me uncomfortable, not sure if anybody else noticed it. I suppose I can't un-see that now.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
If we'd started properly and not given them a 3 goal start then so much of the last qtr would have only been academic.
But we got back on level terms and took the lead quick smart so that advantage was wiped. If only to have those 120 seconds back and play it again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #134
Coaches' votes :