Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 11098 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #150
No doubt he’s more aggressive at the ball, but he’s still not a strong body player, that’s my point.
Is it that he is not strong, or is it that he's just not prepared for the contact?

When I see him throw opponents out of the ruck inside F50, I find it hard to believe he is not strong enough, but that is a premeditated tactic.

In the one on one with a guy like Dixon or Hawkins, I think he gets caught off guard and is slow to react, and that makes him look too easy to counteract. I'd assert this might be his long term problem, because when you see Levi manhandle a opposition ruck, it's almost impossible to imagine how medium sized defenders could have ever moved him off the contest like they did so often! I think it might happen because his mind wanders and he doesn't expect contact.

So is it a headspace issue?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #151
Is it that he is not strong, or is it that he's just not prepared for the contact?

When I see him throw opponents out of the ruck inside F50, I find it hard to believe he is not strong enough, but that is a premeditated tactic.

In the one on one with a guy like Dixon or Hawkins, I think he gets caught off guard and is slow to react, and that makes him look too easy to counteract. I'd assert this might be his long term problem, because when you see Levi manhandle a opposition ruck, it's almost impossible to imagine how medium sized defenders could have ever moved him off the contest like they did so often! I think it might happen because his mind wanders and he doesn't expect contact.

So is it a headspace issue?

Clearly he is physically strong, so it must be balance, anticipation and or timing.
I’m a huge fan of his newfound aggression.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #152
Clearly he is physically strong, so it must be balance, anticipation and or timing.
I’m a huge fan of his newfound aggression.
"Timing" is a catch all used to cover a multitude of sins, which under further scrutiny are usually exposed as things like ignorance, incapable or indifference. It's the other side of the coin to being switched on, and can be variable threw a match related to fatigue, stress, etc., etc..

btw. In ignorance I don't necessarily mean being wilfully or deliberately ignorant, but that is part of the spectrum, while not being applicable to Levi who looks ultra-keen at the moment.

My mate says he loves watching Levi at the moment, it's like all his abilities have come home to roost but that Levi is like a 30 year old beginner never having experienced these skills before. It's like very game he learns he can do something new!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #153
I was just thinking about Sam Walsh's game on the weekend...kicking goals at one end, great defensive marks at the other.
Gee the boy covers some territory.
Does anyone have any stats regarding 'metres covered' for 2020?