Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game discussion: AFL 2020 Rd 8: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 6715 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game discussion: AFL 2020 Rd 8: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #30
Going into this heavy schedule we might find lots of players being rested for what was previously trivial issues, if they don't they risk getting 2 or 3 weeks in and have no fit players left to pick.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Going into this heavy schedule we might find lots of players being rested for what was previously trivial issues, if they don't they risk getting 2 or 3 weeks in and have no fit players left to pick.
Teague has commented previously that Russell has been training them and conditioning them for games every 4-5 days for quite a while.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
Teague has commented previously that Russell has been training them and conditioning them for games every 4-5 days for quite a while.
 I don't think that changes the situation, he can't train for injuries or soreness.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
Bit of spice to the game this week with brothers Ben and Harry likely to play on each other, Ben had a reasonable game on Tom Lynch and is a bit more physical than Harry so I'll be interested in how much brotherly love they show each other..
Roos likely to regain Zurhaar, Anderson and maybe Daw, some talk they may rush Larkey back. The latter makes Ben Brown a better player so I'd be happy to see him not in the team. Zurhaar is the one who busted up Liam Jones from memory and likes it tough so I hope we pay him back and our players are aware of him as he tends to connect heavily with players when they are unprotected.

Reply #34
I've been watching Zuhaar since that day, has some real mongrel, not a chance in hell the Jones situation was an accident. I've seen him miss similar attempts more than once since then, he wants people to pay for getting in his way. He must think he is Hodge!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
I've been watching Zuhaar since that day, has some real mongrel, not a chance in hell the Jones situation was an accident. I've seen his miss similar attempts more than once since then, he wants people to pay for getting in his way. He must think he is Hodge!
Yep he is a solid hombre and can play a bit, like to see him with his face in the turf and our blokes all piled on top.
As you say he meant what he did to Jones, that was a nasty injury and from memory Jones was over the boundary line , head down and it wasnt not necessary.

Reply #36
Yep he is a solid hombre and can play a bit, like to see him with his face in the turf and our blokes all piled on top.
As you say he meant what he did to Jones, that was a nasty injury and from memory Jones was over the boundary line , head down and it wasnt not necessary.
Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see a bit of mongrel, but you can't be putting blokes in hospital, that is just not on. It's a fine line.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see a bit of mongrel, but you can't be putting blokes in hospital, that is just not on. It's a fine line.
How Zurhaar wasn't suspended defies description, to be honest. He never had eyes for anything else. Nor does he: that is the way he plays.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
How Zurhaar wasn't suspended defies description, to be honest. He never had eyes for anything else. Nor does he: that is the way he plays.
Yes, with Ziebell out they'll rush him back in, they see that sort of brutality as our poison, they expect us to go back into our shell after one or two hits.

Run the fecker into the ground, make him chase whoever they sit him on from one end to the other and he'll blow up after a quarter and they'll be one down pretty much all over the turf!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #39
<1>Last week Marc Pittonet had his least effective game by a long way. Apart from one small patch, he was generally beaten on the day.
It made a big difference in the end, as Port's ruckman got so much of the ball.
Goldstein provides a challenge that we have to really work at. if he dominates, then we are trouble, no matter how poor they have been of late.
What are our options?
[1] Trust Pitto: has stood up to the challenge so far, even with last week's poor game.
[2] Maybe we could ruck Jones? Jones is not likely to win many taps, but he competes well ans won't let his man get away with the single free possession.
[3] Bring de Koning in: I don't think he is ready yet, but his athleticism, his marking and his leap provides more options than our one dimensional ruck unit so far.
I honestly don't know which way we should go, but we really need to put some time into this.

<2> A couple of our players have had less than stellar weeks lately. Guys like Cuningham and Newnes, to mention just a few. Do we stay with them, knowing that they both can play much better, or do we blood some newchums who could prove a difference?
I'd be tempted to bring in a guy like Honey, who could just do enough extraordinary stuff to be a match winner and who won't take any crap.
Cottrell has been impressing in the twos, although our defence has been pretty good.
or do we 'strengthen' the midield? Polson has been good. Dow?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
Cottrell has been impressing in the twos, although our defence has been pretty good.
Cottrell is more than a defender, some of his better VFL games made use of his run off the wing, although he was named on the HBF he hardly started there more than a couple of times.

With some rotations expected, at AFL level I can almost see Cottrell in a defensive small forward roll, he can offer significant tackling and rundown ability. Maybe the go is to put Martin into the Betts role, give Cottrell a defensive small forward roll, let Betts have a week off and give Gibbons some more midfield time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #41
<1>Last week Marc Pittonet had his least effective game by a long way. Apart from one small patch, he was generally beaten on the day.
Goldstein provides a challenge that we have to really work at. if he dominates, then we are trouble, no matter how poor they have been of late.
What are our options?
[1] Trust Pitto: has stood up to the challenge so far, even with last week's poor game.
[2] Maybe we could ruck Jones? Jones is not likely to win many taps, but he competes well ans won't let his man get away with the single free possession.
[3] Bring de Koning in: I don't think he is ready yet, but his athleticism, his marking and his leap provides more options than our one dimensional ruck unit so far.
I honestly don't know which way we should go, but we really need to put some time into this.

<2> A couple of our players have had less than stellar weeks lately. Guys like Cuningham and Newnes, to mention just a few. Do we stay with them, knowing that they both can play much better, or do we blood some newchums who could prove a difference?
I'd be tempted to bring in a guy like Honey, who could just do enough extraordinary stuff to be a match winner and who won't take any crap.
This is a very winnable game, Not sure I would be getting too cute with selection and bringing 1st gamers in...Nth are down but not out and still have a few decent players who could trouble us and take advantage of any newbies.
Think we will stick with the Pittonet/Casboult ruck combo...you would expect Goldstein to take the points but as long as Pitto can negate him to just an average game its job done.
Ed Curnow has to take Higgins IMO, McDonald or Dumont will probably get Cripps and If my memory serves me right I think the latter has done ok on the skipper in the past.
McGovern might have a easier time of it this week, Nth's defense apart from Tarrant isnt start studded and likely opponents for the Guv could be McMillan or Pittard, he should over power both and providing he doesnt let them do too much rebounding he could have one of his better games.

Reply #42
What are our options?

Agree on Pitto. Pitto / Levi combo works ok, wouldn't want to see Jones in the ruck, leave the back 6 as it is, back it in.
Agree on TDK, not sure if he is ready or not. I'd guess Goldy is the not the right debut opponent for him.
Agree on Cunningham and Newnes, happy to see guys like Honey, Cottrel, Moore given a try.
Absolutely no on Polson, I never want to see him in the Seniors ever again. Too small, not enough skill, not enough mongrel, we know what he will bring, SFA. VFA player at best, no point going to that well again.
Dow I am happy to give a go when he is over the knee injury but he is also not impressing me with his disposal. Then again, he couldnt be worse than Kennedy (who I have been a massive fan of) at the moment. He was bloody terrible v Port.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #43
Jy Simpkin looking like he is out also for Nth.. and Thomas for the season.

Reply #44
Jy Simpkin looking like he is out also for Nth.. and Thomas for the season.

Gee I hope we don't do a 94 final when Hocking Couch Bairstow Mansfield and Stoneham were out!!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th