Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 5704 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game postulations: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #45
I'd rather see de Koning in for Moore, but ...

TDK was promoted to an emergency spot.

I can't help but think that Harry is still touch and go and TDK will get a late callup to cover Harry.

Reply #46
Gee I want Carlton to win this game, more than any thus far.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #47

TDK was promoted to an emergency spot.

I can't help but think that Harry is still touch and go and TDK will get a late callup to cover Harry.
Yep.

Id still rather put Macreadie in and play Jones up forward than play moore though.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
Yep.

Id still rather put Macreadie in and play Jones up forward than play moore though.

Lateral thinking, 3 Leos... I like it. I've often wondered if Jones' experience of being down back for a while might not help his idea of how to be a dangerous tall forward, be a worthwhile experiment. Not sure if Macreadie has had enough 2s game time to be ready though.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #49
Moore is miles off it.  Especially in a game where we need to win.  I'll be happy to be  proven wrong.  Pittonet will, I hope, be in for a good one ...

Reply #50
I'm never confident but this game really worries me as they have their backs well and truly to the wall which is dangerous!

Considering all the press on Clarkson and the fact he dropped 4 kids for 4 experienced players its obvious developing the list is not a focus this week and they will be going all out to get the 4 points no matter how ugly he makes this game. He will want to get the win at any cost  

Teague and our leaders better not for a second underestimate these pr1cks - we will need to switched on from the very first bounce and will need to play better then we did last week to get over this mob.

Like Clarkson or not he is on his own as far as coaching greatness goes and as I always felt like he loves beating us - regardless where they are on the ladder, this game will tell us as much as any game this year just how much we have improved or how much we are still away.

Reply #51
I'm never confident but this game really worries me as they have their backs well and truly to the wall which is dangerous!
Considering all the press on Clarkson and the fact he dropped 4 kids for 4 experienced players its obvious developing the list is not a focus this week and they will be going all out to get the 4 points no matter how ugly he makes this game. He will want to get the win at any cost  
Teague and our leaders better not for a second underestimate these pr1cks - we will need to switched on from the very first bounce and will need to play better then we did last week to get over this mob.
Like Clarkson or not he is on his own as far as coaching greatness goes and as I always felt like he loves beating us - regardless where they are on the ladder, this game will tell us as much as any game this year just how much we have improved or how much we are still away.
Clarkson hates us of that there is no doubt. All started back on the "Battle of Britain" game when he effectively ended Ian Aitken's career. Dirty dog then and still the same now IMO. I hate him.
Want to win this game so much that I've done something I've never done before. I put money on the Hawks to win. As I'm a born loser when it comes to the punt I'm pulling out all stops and MORE than happy to forego the $10 if that's what it takes. Please note $10 is a lot of money for a tight ar$e like me.

Reply #52
Clarkson hates us of that there is no doubt. All started back on the "Battle of Britain" game when he effectively ended Ian Aitken's career. Dirty dog then and still the same now IMO. I hate him.
Want to win this game so much that I've done something I've never done before. I put money on the Hawks to win. As I'm a born loser when it comes to the punt I'm pulling out all stops and MORE than happy to forego the $10 if that's what it takes. Please note $10 is a lot of money for a tight ar$e like me.
The attitude on display from the Dawks will give us a real insight into the mind of Clarkson and Bolton, I notice Bolton has become the defacto match day 2IC already. The tactics they use against certain players.

This will tell us as much about our players as it does one of our past coaches!

Keep you money Rocky, you having that bet makes no difference, it's not causal.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
Does anyone know what McGuane is on about in The Hun, it's behind the paywall and a can't be buggered working around it today?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
Moore is miles off it.  Especially in a game where we need to win.  I'll be happy to be  proven wrong.  Pittonet will, I hope, be in for a good one ...
Pitto will be like a rabid dog tonight, this I am certain of.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #55
Pitto will be like a rabid dog tonight, this I am certain of.
Dawks have Big Boy McEvoy back in the ruck tonight, he has been playing CHB for a few weeks, I suspect they think he's got Pittonet covered in the ruck.

Makes for interesting viewing, and will also tell us something about Pittonet as a long term prospect.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Does anyone know what McGuane is on about in The Hun, it's behind the paywall and a can't be buggered working around it today?

HS Article bits related to Hawks and Carlton
What’s Hawthorn’s DNA?

It‘s the first time I’ve asked that question in Alastair Clarkson’s incredibly successful 16 seasons in the coach’s chair.

I’m convinced Clarko should be the club’s long-term leader.

He has two more seasons of his contract left and he’s a genius, so I’d back him to turn around what looks like the biggest challenge of his career.

In saying that, the four-time premiership coach must rediscover one of the pillars that made the Hawks what they once were – a skilful kicking team

Historically, the Hawks have been a good contest/pressure team, able to generate high turnovers. Importantly, they also had the foot skills and a touch of class to score from those turnovers.

That polish is gone now.

The 2020 Hawks are still creating turnovers.

Collectively, matches involving Hawthorn this year rank No. 1 for turnovers, so their defensive structure remains strong.

But they aren’t capitalising on those turnovers.

They rank 17th for scores against, and 16th for points scored from turnover differential.

The Hawks’ kicking efficiency against the Swans last week was 43.8%, with their 2020 tally sitting at just under 60% – the worst in the AFL.

As a result, they had THREE marks in the last quarter last week – an embarrassing figure, even allowing for the wet conditions.

In their dominant 2013-2015 seasons, the Hawks averaged 86 uncontested marks per game. That’s now down to 57.8. Even allowing for this shortened version of the game, that’s a huge drop off in ball security.

They used to cut and slice through defences. Now they give the ball back.

Is it because of the exodus of good ball users Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Jordan Lewis and Grant Birchall? Or just a lack of decision-making and polish in the current side?

Or maybe a combination of the both?

KEEP THE SIX FORWARDS AT HOME

Playing in Perth, the Hawks must provide slicker ball movement, show more dare coming out of defence and take more risks through the corridor.

In offence, ‘Release the shackles,’ Clarko.

The Hawks must expose the Blues’ inability to defend opposition ball movement out of their own forward half.

Making the ground big is a priority. At times, players must run selflessly to open up space for others to be usable options, either to receive long or short 45 degree kicks in far more damaging areas on the ground. Winning uncontested marks close to the boundary must be a last resort.

Putting speed on the ball will complement the back-leading space of forwards Jack Gunston, Luke Breust and Chad Wingard. They are craving for quick entries.

Clarko must keep his six forwards at home so the likes of Sam Docherty and Kade Simpson are kept honest.

Kicking to an outnumbered forward line would play into Carlton’s hands.

As much as Clarko would like an extra around or behind the ball, it’s too dangerous against the Blues’ defence – even more so when the Hawks are struggling to score.

Let Gunston, Wingard and Breust operate in one-v-one situations and not competing against an extra defender.

JEKYLL AND HYDE BLUES

Carlton’s strength is its front-half game, with a strong scoring profile and the fifth-highest time in forward half differential this season.

That’s the good … and that’s a reason why they are in top 8 discussions.

Now, for the bad …

The Blues have conceded 28.8 points per game to opposition defensive half chains – 18th in the AFL.

The inability to defend opposition ball movement means they have allowed their opposition to generate an inside 50 from 41 per cent of their defensive-midfield chains, ranked 16th.

That’s why North Melbourne remained in the game last week longer than it should have.

David Teague also needs to be mindful of what is going on with his mids.

The Blues’ midfield depth has been impressive. But one aspect diminishes part of their good work.

Opposition midfielders are hitting the scoreboard too frequently against the Blues.

An increase in accountability must be a priority as the Blues have conceded 33 goals this year to opposition mids, mid-forwards and wingmen – the most of any side.

Clarko will look to use his most offensive weapons around the footy, not just to curtail Patrick Cripps, but to work off him, Marc Murphy and Will Setterfield when attacking.

The Blues must be wary of this. If Shiels, Jaeger O’Meara, Isaac Smith or Tom Scully hit the scoreboard, it could be disastrous for Teague and his men.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #57
HS Article bits related to Hawks and Carlton
He is on the money, we've been woeful this season when the opposition get the footy, we are much better at keeping it than we use to be, but getting it back we've been quite poor outside of opposition making stupid mistakes.

My big worry tonight is the Dawks have gone the small mobile F50 against our over-sized lumbering defence. If Teague doesn't allow our guys to intercept mark it could get very ugly. We need a stack of pressure coming from our small forwards to force long panicked kicks into the Dawks F50, it won't come from Casboult, McKay or Moore.

So expect some ugly ugly "body spoils" from the likes of Wingard, Burgoyne and Shiels, maybe even some tunnelling!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
He is on the money, we've been woeful this season when the opposition get the footy, we are much better at keeping it than we use to be, but getting it back we've been quite poor outside of opposition making stupid mistakes.

My big worry tonight is the Dawks have gone the small mobile F50 against our over-sized lumbering defence. If Teague doesn't allow our guys to intercept mark it could get very ugly. We need a stack of pressure coming form our small forwards to force long panicked kicks into the Dawks F50. So expect some ugly ugly "body spoils" from the likes of Wingard, Burgoyne and Shiels.
It aint gonna be a shoot out I wouldnt have thought. Some of there players have dined out on us in the past, thats what we need to stop, Gunston, Breust, Impey, Wingard (PA days), Mitchell to name a few.  BB will have plenty of intel on our blokes, gonna be interesting.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #59
From the write up it sounds as though we are allowing scores from turnovers, and the Hawks are the worst at generating it.

Therefore, it will be at worst a contest that we should be in. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson