Skip to main content
Topic: We Go In And Bat For Cripps (Read 1234 times) previous topic - next topic

We Go In And Bat For Cripps

Carlton will again raise Patrick Cripps’ treatment with the umpires this week after footage emerged of him being regularly mauled by North Melbourne midfielders in the victory over the Roos.

Carlton indicated on Monday they have had regular communication with the umpires about Cripps’ treatment, with his lack of free kicks at stoppages to be on the agenda again this week.

The Herald Sun understands the issue of Cripps being stopped from getting to the ball by players with their back to the stoppage is of particular concern.

Cripps did not get a free kick when tackled to the ground by Jed Anderson at a stoppage, which resulted in a melee that saw him fined $750 for wrestling.

But Carlton was as aggrieved by tactics highlighted by Fox Footy’s David King on Sunday which showed North Melbourne players defending Cripps with their back to the ball.

On several occasions Cripps was effectively tackled by those players with their hands around him as they faced away from stoppages.

Yet Cripps gave away free kicks to the one he was awarded, having been given 15 free kicks for the year and having given away 17.

Carlton champion Mark Maclure told the Herald Sun on Monday if the umpires paid more genuine holding free kicks at stoppages it would help rid the game of the congestion that currently plagues the code.

But he said Carlton’s midfielders also had to give Cripps more protection, which would highlight to umpires his manhandling.

"I am not happy about it. The umpires seem to let it go. What was the umpire doing? At ball ups and boundary throw-ins everyone has their arms around each other.

“We have so many stoppages in 90 minutes of football and so many of them are because the umpires won’t pay a free kick.

“Diesel Williams would have punched his opponent. He would have belted them and the umpire would have said nothing because they would have deserved it but Cripps can’t do that because he would be out for two weeks.

“I think the AFL have a major problem running their game. Why does it take Clarko (Alastair Clarkson) to change the rules with one complaint? Why do we need two ruckmento amble up and we call them out instead of throwing the thing in?

“If two people from one team go up it’s a free kick. How hard is it? We need to simplify the rules for the umpires.”

Carlton coach David Teague admitted it was a challenge that Cripps had been facing for many years.

“Look, you want your ball-winners to be able to go hunt the ball and the opposition are coming out to try to stop him,” he said.

“It’s a challenge. It’s not new this year. Patrick’s been facing that for a while and I love the way he approaches it.

“He keeps hunting the ball and attacking and taking the game on. So to his credit he keeps competing for us and that’s what we need.”

This also needs 'supporter support' #givecrippsafairgo should be plastered by supporters all over social media. Get it out there!!!

Re: We Go In And Bat For Cripps

Reply #1
Big thumbs up from me. But words aren't enough. It really needs to be acted upon. Now.

You can ask any decent mid since forever and they will tell you the same thing about illegal blocks, holds etc.

Reply #2
Bout farken time, and need to go hard at this issue, lobby everyone in the media, AFL you name it. And I dont want to hear our coach saying things like "Cripps needs to learn to deal with tagger", fark that. Not even Mountain from Game of Thrones could handle 2-3 blokes hanging off him and blocking. Its rubbish and needs to stop. And people saying watch Ed Curnow can get stuffed also. Ed goes man on man to make life difficult, not hang on scrag with other Carlton players helping him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #3
If you turn your back on the ball to block an opponent at a throw in or ball up, make it an automatic free kick and 50 metres. 

Reply #4
We should be encouraging players to go for the ball and make a play. Laying a hand on a player or impeding his run at the ball before he is in possession should certainly be discouraged and penalised, via rules and interpretation. We have somewhat of a thugs’ charter atm. Don’t mind seeing a good competitive body jostle in getting to the ball but holding and blocking with no attempt to win the ball are a blight on the game currently.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
I will say this re the assault on Cripps that went unpenalised, he drew two players, where was the Carlton player opposed to the second Norf player?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
We need to look after Cripps and get physical with his assailants, Anderson should have been dealt with, you bring that BS to the game then its open season on the player concerned, he gets whacked every stoppage and gang tackled everytime.
Bontempelli used to cop it but now dishes it back.....Cripps has let the likes of Jack Steele bully him and now its open season with every mug tagger trying to rough him up.
I know some dont like it but Cripps needs to stack some more weight back on and get a nasty side to his game....
Some oldies will remember Wayne Johnston in the VFL playing for Prahran, thin kid who played a very gentleman like game, at AFL level he started to cop treatment once other teams realized he could play at a high level. Johnston didnt sook or cry to the umpies. he got down in the gutter with his bullies and gave it back with interest and became the Dominator ...not the dominated and thats what Cripps has to do.

Reply #7
How can he when he gets so many free kicks paid against him as it is.  That umpire 22 deserved a bollocking after his shizen calls esp too high against cripps in the last. Absolute load of rubbish!

Reply #8
I will say this re the assault on Cripps that went unpenalised, he drew two players, where was the Carlton player opposed to the second Norf player?

Probably behind the ball.

We usually run with a spare behind play (ala Doc)

Reply #9
How can he when he gets so many free kicks paid against him as it is.  That umpire 22 deserved a bollocking after his shizen calls esp too high against cripps in the last. Absolute load of rubbish!

Cripps gets angry, sucked in and gives away dumb frees...he has got to be smarter and get even on the sly.
This is why he is getting targeted more as he loses his cool, the umpires wont see everything and he has to handle it better.
Hawks will try it on for sure and his teammates need to look after him or Cripps has to be smarter in dealing with it.

Reply #10
Just looked up Jed Anderson's physical stats.....179cm and 81kg......thats embarrassing from Cripps being hogtied by a player that size.
Cripps shouldnt need anyone going into bat for him, not sure how Anderson was restraining him at 195cm/93kg.
Russell must have us on a get weaker program....

Reply #12
Just looked up Jed Anderson's physical stats.....179cm and 81kg......thats embarrassing from Cripps being hogtied by a player that size.
Cripps shouldnt need anyone going into bat for him, not sure how Anderson was restraining him at 195cm/93kg.
Russell must have us on a get weaker program....
We are winning the clearances, he'll only risk giving away a free to even things up!

Plus, if you watch the video there is nearly always a second Norp player falling into or under Cripps legs. It's fake collision after fake collision, Cripps is too nice, he needs to fall all elbows and knees into the blokes putting on the blocks.

The problem for me is why blokes like Dandruffield and Crusty get super-protection, I realise a lot of that happens because of whinging coaches, but it's should be the same for all players and Cripps gets NADA!
The Force Awakens!