Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 11810 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pondering: AFL 2020 Rd 9: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #165
.....Firstly, he is a newbie with new tricks, opposition coaches are yet to see or learn them, it takes a few games before they are prepared for coaching against Teague so in the short term he has an advantage in this area. The Dawks are probably his worst case, as BB has all the inside guff so Teague's advantage is minimised!

I'm not sure whether others have mentioned it but, rate him or not, Bolton's knowledge of coach and players would have been an advantage.

Reply #166
I'm not sure whether others have mentioned it but, rate him or not, Bolton's knowledge of coach and players would have been an advantage.
Don't want to sound like FIGJAM but I think I mentioned it in the pre game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #167
Bolton's input to Hawthorn was very important in my humble opinion.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #168
Fair dinkum we started well!
Even Moore looked good in that first quarter.
Newnes was very good in the 1st quarter.
Their first goal was bad: we let Smith get away with shepherding on the mark.
Not picking up our men. they are running too freely.
Fair dunkum they whinge!
Not holding our marks. None of the defenders.
We just didn't get the ball after quarter time. Most of our players had maybe 2/3 of their possessions in the first quarter.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #169
Fair dinkum we started well!
Even Moore looked good in that first quarter.
Newnes was very good in the 1st quarter.
Their first goal was bad: we let Smith get away with shepherding on the mark.
Not picking up our men. they are running too freely.
Fair dunkum they whinge!
Not holding our marks. None of the defenders.
We just didn't get the ball after quarter time. Most of our players had maybe 2/3 of their possessions in the first quarter.
We literally all just stopped after that 5th goal. When we are on, its team footy, everyone contributes whether its a goal, a behind, a smother, a tackle, a knock on to advantage. After that 5th goal to the end of the games, many of our blokes either didnt touch the footy or did SFA.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #170
Makes you wonder how much Bolton divulged to us about Hawthorn

Reply #171
Teague has this year and another IMO, it usually depends on what coaches are available as well....
You can spin how we played and make excuses all you like vs Hawthorn but we are their bunny in cricket terms
and they feel they can take us no matter what we put on the scoreboard, bit like the old Windies teams of the eighties..no matter what we make we will bowl you out for less.
Is it 21 from the last 24 games for the Hawks?...
So maybe you just have to concede there are some teams that are your bogey team who will always do well against you no matter what.Bulldogs were that team when I was young, we had great teams but the Dogs would always trouble us especially at Whitten oval....
re: The Hawks midfield....Ceglar/McEvoy, Mitchell, OMeara, Shiels,Worpel, Smith with Burgoyne and Wingard having the odd run through there too....not shabby at all IMO. I wouldnt be backing Gibbons, Cuningham, Kennedy to have much impact vs that group.
Not much else at the Hawks but the midfield is where the quality is and where we lost the game IMO.

We may just simply be over-analysing what was simply a bad game. They all have them. Learn from it but give it a couple of weeks to see as it might've just been a $hit night. We rolled Geelong at Geelong a week after losing to Melbourne. Changes every week, even more so the way this year is. We're up and down but certainly improved alot.

Reply #172
Makes you wonder how much Bolton divulged to us about Hawthorn
BB was heart and soul into our cause when he worked for us, I am sure he would have used every bit of intel he had on them and some. Clarko said once he and BB talked often but when there was a game between the clubs, for the week leading up and the week after, there was no communication. It was a gentlemens agreement
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #173
We literally all just stopped after that 5th goal. When we are on, its team footy, everyone contributes whether its a goal, a behind, a smother, a tackle, a knock on to advantage. After that 5th goal to the end of the games, many of our blokes either didn't touch the footy or did SFA.
Indeed. We stopped running, we didn't take any risks and we moved the ball ... well, we didn't get the ball to move it.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #174
BB was heart and soul into our cause when he worked for us, I am sure he would have used every bit of intel he had on them and some. Clarko said once he and BB talked often but when there was a game between the clubs, for the week leading up and the week after, there was no communication. It was a gentlemens agreement

It wasn't a "go" at Bolton by the way, otherwise why the head start we got?  Just floating the idea as not too many coaches over the journey switch back to the club they once coached

Reply #176
It wasn't a "go" at Bolton by the way, otherwise why the head start we got?  Just floating the idea as not too many coaches over the journey switch back to the club they once coached
Didnt Leppa go from Assistant at Rich to Head Coach Brisbane back to to Assistant at Rich?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th