Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 9371 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 24 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #60
I can see the bulldogs knocking off Geelong.

Geelong have the sort of team, where they can put some older players on ice for this game and get them ready for next year, whilst improving their draft hand.  They wont be motivated to beat the bulldogs, but the bulldogs will go out guns blazing to make finals.

From what I can see, either everything turns on its head this week, or the status quo will largely remain.  Will all depend on the Brisbane vs Saints game.  If that follows the script everything is normal. 

Libba back in and Cameron injured so my money is on the Dogs to be desperate enough to give Bevo his first win at the Cattery. The arrogance of Chris Scott has no boundaries and I'm looking forward to his excuses when they lose...

Reply #61
Who do we want in 8th spot?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
West Coast
Hmm, with McGovern back they look like a different team, just ask Bevo! ;)

But basically we will determine whether the Bulldogs have a chance or not, I would have thought we'd want to win and keep winning, but I can also see us resting some!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
If Cerra, Walsh and McGovern are fit they need to play. Cripps looks like he is playing hurt so I think he would benefit from a couple of weeks out. Dow,  Hewitt and Docherty are doing the heavy lifting in the midfield at the moment,  and with Cerra and Walsh coming in we can afford him being rested. Cuningham also looks like he could use a break so if Fogarty is ok we should interchange them. McGovern for Marchbank is the obvious choice. I think Ed Curnow might drop out and Hollands could move to being substitute.
With Kennedy and Silvagni likely to be available for the first week of the finals there are a number of players who are going to be unlucky at selection. The two things that counts against sides making runs in the finals from outside the top four is player attrition and the sides that finish above you have been better than you throughout the season.  I think we have the depth of squad and we have beaten three of the top four and four of the other top six in recent weeks so I am not sure the other teams in the finals are better than us.
As for this week we must turn up with the same attitude that we have played with over the past nine weeks. If we do this we will be ok.

Reply #65
Who do we want in 8th spot?
Anyone, anywhere anytime.

Thats the only mentality that will see us do damage in finals.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #67
As fans then, who do we want?

I'll take Collingwood first up.  You a want a flag, then take no prisoners and all challengers.  It cant happen so any of Sydney, gws, st. Kilda or the bulldogs will do me fine.  Actually, if Brisbane beat the saints, it's possible for us to face them in week one if Sydney win and we lose to gws.  Would love to send Ross and Stocker home in week one. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #68
Tough selection choices this week if all of Cerra, Walsh and McGovern are fit and ready to go.

1. All 3 in at the expense of Marchbank, Cunningham, Hollands and Ed...and have Hollands as the sub? I'd be sticking with Dow.
2. All 3 in but Dow goes out, Docherty back into defence and Cincotta out.

Can't remember the last time we had this sort of "problem".

Reply #69
I still have a small thought that giving Cripps a rest in this last game might keep him fresh and ready for the finals. I could see the Giants going hard at some of our players to make them sore for the first final.

....and visa versa.

Reply #70
....and visa versa.
Don't think it's in our DNA, but if Toby was given the opportunity to accidentally clean up collide with the likes of Walsh, Cripps or Cerra, well that's another matter!

Mind you, week one of the finals, Libba won't be shy of securing a 2nd week of finals for the Dogs by any means, if they get through!

Having said that, modern AFL is different now, there are no little guys anymore, even the onballers are huge.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
Hmm, with McGovern back they look like a different team, just ask Bevo! ;)

But basically we will determine whether the Bulldogs have a chance or not, I would have thought we'd want to win and keep winning, but I can also see us resting some!

You can see it now...
Bulldogs beat Geelong.
We rest players and get beaten by GWS...the Bulldogs howl at how we've thrown the game and spoiled their chance of playing finals.

The same Bulldog team that jumped up and down with joy when Collingwood knocked us out last year.

It almost makes you want the karma bus to hit them...even at the expense of a loss.
Almost !

Reply #72
It almost makes you want the karma bus to hit them...even at the expense of a loss.
Almost !
They need a whack just for the way they treated Jake Edwards.

If I recall, they also white-anted us going back for the original Good Friday game proposals, they were one of the most vocal opposing the redevelopment of our home ground as a waste of money(Just as they were being awarded millions for VU), and didn't they go the early crow pointing the finger at us about our hotels?

They have always taken the "What about me?" angle looking for handouts at somebody else's expense, it's parasitic!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
You can see it now...
Bulldogs beat Geelong.
We rest players and get beaten by GWS...the Bulldogs howl at how we've thrown the game and spoiled their chance of playing finals.

The same Bulldog team that jumped up and down with joy when Collingwood knocked us out last year.

Almost !

They were hardly going to be disappointed at playing finals last season at our expense. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #74
They were hardly going to be disappointed at playing finals last season at our expense. 

They should have been more restrained and exercised some self control....like we did on the weekend. :D