Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 14 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 4881 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 14 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #15
TDK has done well, only Witts and Darcy really thrashed him and they were 2 of our 3 losses.

Jack battles to negate but was unsuccessful on Friday night and our midfield was smashed in the clearances.

A positive will be the experience TDK has had and what a weapon he will be when Pittonet comes back.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #16
TDK has done well, only Witts and Darcy really thrashed him and they were 2 of our 3 losses.

Jack battles to negate but was unsuccessful on Friday night and our midfield was smashed in the clearances.

A positive will be the experience TDK has had and what a weapon he will be when Pittonet comes back.

Smashed in centre bounce clearances but we won the stoppage clearances convincingly.  I suspect that our coaching group will be tweaking our centre bounce set up this week.

Yes, young Tom is on a steep learning curve and Pitto's absence will have accelerated his development.  Giving Pitto a break when the main opposition ruck is tired or having a spell should be ideal for Tom.  He will also provide an alternative to Harry and Charlie as a marking target when we go long down the line.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
I get the idea that jsos was a bit of a surprise that most ruckmen weren't planning for and now rucks are taking him a bit more seriously and planning on how to use the ruck advantage when he's up against them.

Opposition midfield have worked it out too which is why jsos has not been as effective lately.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18
Usually the No 2 rucks tend to face off with each other when the No 1's are having a rest but I noticed Jack copped a fair bit of Draper rather than Philips. Nank and Soldo will be even harder as both are that body on body type rucks and like it rough, I thought Jack was competitive and did ok at ground level and has been value most of the season but you have to expect its not going keep on that way and teams will plan a bit more to take advantage of the mismatch.
After Richmond its Freo with Darcy and Lobb and for me you need to break even or take them out of the game to beat Freo.

Reply #19
I agree it will be a toughie, but the Tigers are not exactly flying.  They were a bit lucky against Port on Thurs.  Lynch does give them another dimension. 

This one will be won in the middle, as both sides have good forwards - whoever gets most of the centre clearances will probably outscore the other.

Agree and our last 2 games we haven't been as strong in the middle as we were earlier in the year and we need to revert back to that form to win this one.

In a weird way I prefer Lynch plays even though we are short down back as they become much more predicable where the ball goes forward and i think we can plan to get numbers to the drop as their smalls are where i think we are more at risk then the talls. Sure Lynch and Riewoldt will probably still kick 5 or 6 between them but still think we are as good or better chance to beat them if we know where the ball is heading more often then not.

We have as many or more weapons in my opinion across the park except the small forwards area. Hold them to a few goals and we will get them again.

Bloody hope im right.

Reply #20
Agree and our last 2 games we haven't been as strong in the middle as we were earlier in the year and we need to revert back to that form to win this one.

In a weird way I prefer Lynch plays even though we are short down back as they become much more predicable where the ball goes forward and i think we can plan to get numbers to the drop as their smalls are where i think we are more at risk then the talls. Sure Lynch and Riewoldt will probably still kick 5 or 6 between them but still think we are as good or better chance to beat them if we know where the ball is heading more often then not.

We have as many or more weapons in my opinion across the park except the small forwards area. Hold them to a few goals and we will get them again.

Bloody hope im right.
Problem will be if they play Balta forward IMO, that gives them three genuine tall targets who all will have a size and strength advantage, hoping he has to play down back to help cover Charlie and Harry.
We are down on a few troops and they will have a few important ones back which as the Demons showed today can leave you vulnerable.....50/50 this game IMO, wasnt overly impressed how we ran out the last quarter vs Essendon.

Reply #21
Problem will be if they play Balta forward IMO, that gives them three genuine tall targets who all will have a size and strength advantage, hoping he has to play down back to help cover Charlie and Harry.
We are down on a few troops and they will have a few important ones back which as the Demons showed today can leave you vulnerable.....50/50 this game IMO, wasnt overly impressed how we ran out the last quarter vs Essendon.
Understand EB but as you rightly point out playing Balta forward as well will make them top heavy and leave them very venerable against our twin towers.

I dunno maybe I'm being too positive but I think I have converted from being ultra negative to quietly confident against all but maybe 2-3 teams that our best is good enough if even if our opposition do the same.

Yes we have a few blokes down but this mob are not even in the 8 and no where near the power they were. They are not easy beats  but if our mids play as well as they did earlier in the year and we cash in on clearances we have enough strike power to get the points again.    

Reply #22
On a side thought...with Marc Murphy & Krouzer retired and Ed Curnow not playing at the moment, Andrew Phillips would be challenged in recognising many players in the Carlton team he was playing against.  It really showed how much we have turned the list over in recent years.

And thank goodness we did!
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #23
Dusty is in doubt for this week which would
make our job down back at little easier.

Reply #24
Dusty is in doubt for this week which would
make our job down back at little easier.
Is this reported somewhere?
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #25
I think this is possibly our most important game so far this year.  Win, and we are well on the way to a top 4 finish.  Lose, and we are right back in the scrambling pack.  With Saints and Freo to follow, it's a big month coming.

Looks like only 9 teams left in a race for a finals berth, although Suns are a real chance looking at the draw.

Here's a list of the run home for the last 10 games......capitals is the home team

BL   :  bye, MEL, wb, ess, GWS, gcs, RIC, car, STK, mel

MEL : bye, bl, ADE, GEE, pa, WB, FRE, col, car, BL

FRE :  bye, CAR, pa, STK, ss, RIC, mel, WB, wce, GWS

CAR : RIC, fre, stk, WCE, gee, gws, ADE, BL, MEL, col

GEE :  WCE, ric, nm, mel, CAR, PA, wb, stk, GCS, wce

STK :  ess, SS, CAR, fre, WB, WCE, haw, stk, bl, ss

SS :    PA, stk, ESS, wb, FRE, ade, gws, NM, col, STK

COL :  bye, gws, GCS, nm, ADE, ess, pa, MEL, SS, CAR

RIC :   car, GEE, wce, GCS, NM, fre, bl, PA, haw, ess

WB :   GWS, haw, BL, SS, stk, mel, GEE, fre, gws, HAW

GCS :  ade, PA, col, ric, ESS, BL, wce, HAW, gee, NM

The rest are toast for ths year.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #26
Is this reported somewhere?

Martin was in Sydney for a funeral on Friday but there’s nothing to suggest that he won’t play this week.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
I firmly believe there are only 9 teams left in the race .. the rest are stuffed. 

We'll get there.  Bet on it

Reply #29
After Collingwood knocked off Melbourne yesterday I have some serious misgivings about Thursday.

1.  Usually when you face a rival twice, the swings and roundabouts tend to give a game either way.

2.  We are at that critical mass of injury.  Our backline isn't that strong without weiters and with the talls Richmond have, this could be problematic.

3.  Looking at the ladder this game will blow the competition wide open if the Tigers win.  If we win, it will almost create seperation between top 4 and the rest.  The AFL wont like that.  Expect numerous questionable decisions.

4.  Rain could be a huge factor on Thursday. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson