Skip to main content
Topic: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing) (Read 117552 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing)

Reply #255
Aren't you the guy who bitched and moaned all preseason about this place being the non carlton supporters club?

are u trolling me :)

if we are going to win a premiership, we need to be brutally honest

Reply #256
Fair bit of disappointment here and it is understandable but there are a few things that are positive.

Firstly, given the dominance of Richmond the result was only a few goals, suggesting we did manage to hold them up a bit. It was no blowout.

Second, the performance of Docherty was great to see, and matched the promise he has shown. He had poise and made good decisions, as well as taking some fine marks. Bell, who has been oft criticised played a very good game. He worked very hard and made some good decisions. Yes he had a couple of howlers, but so do all players under pressure. He has not played a lot of footy but is getting better each time he runs out.

Some of our senior players had shockers and will turn it around. The likes of Clem Smith got a taste of what is required so will have much to work with.  They are still sorting out KPP and where they are suited and this will mean some switching around week to week. I doubt that Jones,  Henderson and Casboult can all play together in many games but it will take a little while to work out what is best.

The obvious issue is creating scoring opportunities, but this was apparent preseason.  It will get better as they play together, and is I suspect more a function of some midfield issues and poor kicking inside 50.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, as I was watching the game on TV with two kids jumping on me, but it was not a terrible loss.

And it is only round one, plenty more to go.

Reply #257
^^

It wasn't good to lose for sure but it was the nature of the loss that's made people so angry.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #258
I could cop a loss.... but for us to be twelve months down the track and not seeming to have improved in any area....that's what I find hard to accept.

Reply #259
Maybe the ease with which they waltzed through us on a number of occasions clouded my judgement....I just saw it as not many concerned with blocking for or supporting their teammates.

It's also a strength thing, I guess, and the tackling was pretty wimpish I'm afraid.

We have very few genuinely tough players, not that any of them take backwards steps.
There's no Byron Pickett in our ranks, someone who makes people look sideways,  as such we need to rely on skills which in the main we don't possess.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #260
^^

It wasn't good to lose for sure but it was the nature of the loss that's made people so angry.

It looked remarkably like a few of the losses we had in Malthouses first year.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #261

Losses rarely look much better, but I honestly don't know where people thought the improvement would come from this season.
We lost Waite, Robinson, Garlett,  Scotland and McLean and replaced them with rookies, state league players and marginal players at low sides, it was never going to be pretty.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #262
I could cop a loss.... but for us to be twelve months down the track and not seeming to have improved in any area....that's what I find hard to accept.

Even say the loss was worse than last year, and the the year before that.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #263
Even say the loss was worse than last year, and the the year before that.

We so used to own Richmond in round 1.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #264
my filth mates rate Maxwell as one of the the best Collingwood captains

maxwell kicks better than simpson

leadership has everything to do with all aspects of football - how can a leader say ""do as I say not as I do" if his kicking is awful?

Thats my point, Maxwell is one of the better captains, yet he is an average footballer.

There was all sorts of conversations about dropping their captain as he was playing that bad.

I'm not going to argue semantics about kicking ability, but i'm sure you will agree that Maxwell was far from thier best player, maybe not even top 10, yet was a great captain. So leadership is not about footballing ability, but more about - as you said - how you go about it.

Reply #265
You underrate Maxwell he was a great defender. At his peak he was AA.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #266

His list changes have bought him time but with the same performances two years down the track.....meh. Still, we could come out next week and win with Murph and Gibbs starring and go on to play finals football. That's why I said I was willing to give him three rounds. I think we should have a fair idea by then.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #267
We so used to own Richmond in round 1.

I dislike the new 'quoting' change that has happened here so this was supposed to be to you and shadesy...

But do you guys realise that like it or not, Richmond has improved over the same period.

Do you guys believe that the result does not dictate the whole season? You seem to think season over already.

Reply #268
You underrate Maxwell he was a great defender. At his peak he was AA.

...and i don't think he deserved that, but thats beside the point. His numbers that year are far better than any other and he became a liability late in his career.
You'd still put him behind Pendles, Swan, Cloke...and then we start splitting hairs.

Simmo is a B+F winner and represented his country. He's no slouch.

Reply #269
As I said, I thought our first quarter produced our best football under Mick. At the ground, it was very clear the structural improvements and how well we were working for and with each othet. That's something to build off, stopping the lapses in concentration that allow players to stream everywhere would help our cause infinitely.

Our first-ever game under Mick was a closer result but I thought we actually played worse that night. Maybe it's just been too long since last season and I'm going soft ;D