Skip to main content
Topic: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing) (Read 117520 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing)

Reply #270
Geelong owns Hawthorn at Easter but Hawthorn own them in September.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #271
Nick Maxwell = Tom Harley= Good Captain= Average footballers....both were made captain because they were non factional within their clubs and all the different groups
on their respective lists respected them...

Reply #272
While it looks very much like every other year suppose one waits to see if it's a bad one with improvement coming or the same of crap. Often sides play more like they're ready in round one than others. Hence round 2 is often the toughest to tip as we think we're tipping on form. Then sides, with a game under their belt, look alot better. North haven't won a round one clash since 2009, and that was against Melbourne. Swans got run over by GWS in round one last year. First round often throw up interesting results.

While it looks like "same crap, different year" i'll wait a tad longer to see just in case.

Reply #273
Kruddler, the season is far from over, but like Lod's said, it's the same stuff different year. If you saw anything different from last night than that's great. I saw us get to a 4 goals lead and not kick a goal until the end of the third quarter.

We are no where near a top 8 side, and I see a worse team than 3 years ago.

We had no excuses last night. Injury free pre season, full list, experienced team, mediocre side... Was just deflating. You said yourself you have no idea why we would be bottom 6 like most experts expected... I can you we are way closer to bottom 6 than top 6.

I'll be there at Subi next week, but I am beyond any expectations.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #274
While it looks like "same crap, different year" i'll wait a tad longer to see just in case.

Last year we were 0-4, if we're 0-4 this year it's going to be ugly (think we'll be 1-3 so it will still be a heated start to the season)

Reply #275
Kruddler, the season is far from over, but like Lod's said, it's the same stuff different year. If you saw anything different from last night than that's great. I saw us get to a 4 goals lead and not kick a goal until the end of the third quarter.

We are no where near a top 8 side, and I see a worse team than 3 years ago.

We had no excuses last night. Injury free pre season, full list, experienced team, mediocre side... Was just deflating. You said yourself you have no idea why we would be bottom 6 like most experts expected... I can you we are way closer to bottom 6 than top 6.

I'll be there at Subi next week, but I am beyond any expectations.
I was there last night and I agree with your summary 100%. We were ordinary when challenged last night losing all semblence of structure and we will face far sterner tests than Richmond during the season.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #276
^^

I'm not saying we were pretty, but i think there were things from last night that can be fixed.

We played 3 blokes who have never played for the club before. Jones, Jaksch and Smith. 2 of them being key parts of our structure. Sure, things didn't work out ideally. It's nothing we cannot overcome though.

As many have said, and i have too, Jones was recruited as a 3rd tall. Why not play him as that and bring in Casboult....which would allow Rowe to stay at CHB and keep some stability back there.

I think the main thing to take away from the team side of things is that perhaps we need more structures and less flexibility.

If we see the same results over the next couple of weeks, then we might be in a bit deeper.
I'll give the match committee a chance to correct the mistake first.

Reply #277
^^

I think the main thing to take away from the team side of things is that perhaps we need more structures and less flexibility.

That would be the wisest of wise words spoken Kruddles. The old KISS process, Keep It Simple Stupid! ;)

We need structure in our forward line, I think I counted 4 times when 3 of our guys all flew for the same ball and spoiled each other. They all nedd direction on which direction to lead and then the guys need to honor those leads. Just saying.... it works for other teams why not ours :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #278
BluePhantom, I noticed the same. All the talls in the forward 50m trying to mark the same ball. I don't like what I saw in the game against the Tigers. I was worried we could have been beaten by a greater margin, and probably should have.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #280
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-03/carlton-recruits-strut-stuff-in-vfl-hitout

Yep
We've already established that the CFC/AFL injury site is a useless piece of information

Bryce Gibbs    Shoulder    Test
Cameron Giles    Foot    Indefinite
Matthew Kreuzer    Foot    3 weeks
Ciaran Sheehan    groin    1-2 weeks
Andrew Walker    Knee    2 weeks
Robert Warnock    Shoulder    Test
Mark Whiley    Achilles tendon    2 weeks
Updated: Monday, March 31

Reply #281
That was a very disappointing game and it has taken me a while to get to the point where I can put my thoughts down in a relatively calm manner.

I heard the first quarter on ABC radio and had the benefit of Parko’s and Brad Sewell’s insights.  I got home just after quarter time and watched the rest of the game on Channel 7.  I didn’t pay a lot of attention to the commentators.  I also watched Malthouse’s press conference and some of his comments/responses were enlightening.

So, what did I learn?

It’s a cliché but bad kicking is bad football.  Parko reckoned we should have kicked another five goals in the first quarter after dominating the play and inside 50s.  Who am I to argue with Parko and, if we were seven goals up at quarter time, it would be hard to see Richmond getting back into the game.

Jaksch is not a key position player and Malthouse made it clear that he is well aware of that.  Why he was played on Griffiths in the first quarter is a bit of a mystery.  He has potential as a third tall at either end and hopefully the coach will give him appropriate match ups.

Sewell’s comments about Jones were interesting.  Clearly Hawthorn do not rate Jones at all because of his propensity for basic skill errors and tendency to drift out of the game.  Sewell said that Jones could be an outstanding key forward if he could consistently play at his best.  To me, he is far too one-dimensional to be a genuine key forward and I don’t think he is mobile enough to play as a third tall.  One mark from a key forward is deplorable.

That brings me to the forward structure or, more correctly, lack of structure.  Some folk have been critical of the delivery to the forwards but it seemed to me that the problem with the forward line was threefold:  (1) out of form or inadequate players, (2) lack of defensive pressure inside the forward 50, and (3) forwards who don’t make position to receive the ball.  I should add that Richmond’s tactic of having two players behind the ball meant that our rebounds from defence were cut off more often than not.  While the forwards should have been instructed stay with those two players, it should have been obvious to them and they should have had the initiative to do so – unless that’s against team rules.

White’s game on Martin was a highlight, although Martin did pick up some cheap possessions later in the game.  A little of White’s fitness, hardness, positioning and determination distributed among our playing group wouldn’t go astray.  I’m glad I was listening on radio when Deledio crunched White.  I was at the game when he had his neck vertebra fractured and it was a similar incident.

Smith certainly got dropped in at the deep end and, while he wasn’t quite up to the task at times, he showed enough to suggest that he will be a regular player.  Fitness is clearly an issue and that affected his execution at times.  Malthouse admitted that Smith was expected to play a quarter and coming on after the first minute tested his fitness.  I was pleased to see Smith make the 22 and, in the normal course of events, coming on as the sub would have been an ideal introduction to AFL for him.  However, having an unfit player as the sub is a sure fire way of conjuring up an early serious injury.

That brings me to Thomas and all I can say is what a disaster!  Even if Thomas hasn’t actually set the world on fire as a player, he is a big personality at the club and his loss would have had a huge impact on the players.  That’s not to mention the impact on midfield rotations when we already had fewer players in our midfield rotations than the Tigers.   I should also say that Malthouse’s response to Damian Barrett’s question about the impact of Thomas’s injury was pathetic and embarrassing.

Bell was good and I think he is just going to continue to improve.  Before those that continue to bleat about his use of the ball blow a gasket, his disposal efficiency was just above the team average.  While he could and should use the ball better, there were times when the lack of forward structure meant he had no option but to kick and hope.  What Bell needs is to continue to play alongside Judd and for a few of his team mates to step up.

Judd was great but he no longer gets the preferential treatment from the umpires that he enjoyed as a Weagle.  The Channel 7 blokes were full of praise for McIntosh winning a one on one with Judd when he clearly grabbed Judd’s arm and slung him out of the contest.  Judd has regained his ability to burn off opponents but one has to wonder how long he will go on if our performances don’t dramatically improve.

Wood was pretty good against Maric but he needed some decent support.  I hope Rowe never has to go from key defender to ruck again.  That has to be one of the most puzzling moves by any Carlton coach in my memory.  Rowe needs to be able to settle in to his role, although I don’t mind him going forward in a swap for Henderson if absolutely necessary.

Docherty has picked up from where he left off last season and his performance was a shining light.  With a full pre-season under his belt, the Doc should have a great season.

Yes, we had a few players who were underdone, losing Thomas early hurt us, and some of the MC’s selection decisions backfired.  However, the big issue for me is that we lack the structures to shut down an opposition and to create scoring opportunities.  Even with a few players down on form, we should be able to stop a team like Richmond moving and carrying the ball as they did.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #282
What Bell needs is to continue to play alongside Judd and for a few of his team mates to step up.

FMD, Bell couldn't keep up with him to play alongside! :D

Bell got most of his stats at the end of the game when the pace started to drop off and the best we could do was the odd leveller after Nthmond went into cruise mode. Before that he looked like he was running backwards as opponents passed him by!

MMs been there three years, and later this season he will start saying we need to inject some pace and aggression to fix the deficiencies, we will be recruiting blokes like Robbo and Garlett! Let me sell you a ticket to the Merry-Go-Round!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #283
Anyone else find it worrying that the NB's lost to Box Hill with 16 AFL listed players , and they had none? Not a lot to rejoice about this weekend

Reply #284
Bell got most of his stats at the end of the game when the pace started to drop off and the best we could do was the odd leveller after Nthmond went into cruise mode. Before that he looked like he was running backwards as opponents passed him by!

We'll have to agree to disagree LP, Bell was consistent across the three quarters I saw and he got more than his share of favourable comments from the ABC commentators in the first quarter.  He also managed to not only keep up with opponents but tackled more of them than any of his team mates.

I have tried to avoid focusing on the coach, but Merry Go Round isn't far off the mark  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball