Skip to main content
Topic: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing) (Read 117552 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing)

Reply #285
Anyone else find it worrying that the NB's lost to Box Hill with 16 AFL listed players , and they had none? Not a lot to rejoice about this weekend

Not really.  Box Hill are run by Hawthorn and ergo are picking up good habits from a club that has won more premirships recently than i have seen in my lifetime.  Im 32. 

Plus those 16 AFL players are not exactly stars of the comp.  you would struggle to count 200 games between them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #286
MMs been there three years, and later this season he will start saying we need to inject some pace and aggression to fix the deficiencies, we will be recruiting blokes like Robbo and Garlett! Let me sell you a ticket to the Merry-Go-Round!

Some of your best ever work LP. :))
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #287
Not really.  Box Hill are run by Hawthorn and ergo are picking up good habits from a club that has won more premirships recently than i have seen in my lifetime.  Im 32. 

Plus those 16 AFL players are not exactly stars of the comp.  you would struggle to count 200 games between them.

I live next to Box Hill oval and often watch the Hawks training.  While they train with an intensity that reflects Hawthorn's style, it is still a VFL side with a similar relationship to Hawthorn as the Northern Blues have with Carlton - and perhaps that supports your point Thry.

Regardless of the number of games played, our AFL listed players have been drafted because they are meant to be in the top echelon of footballers.  None of the players who represented the Box Hill Hawks are good enough to be drafted and, with the possible exception of their strength and maturity, should not have an edge over our players.  Of course, how they are coached could be a significant factor, and I suspect that it was. 

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #288
Certainly sounds like we still have problems with our player development. Another area where we don't seem to have moved forward?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #289
I live next to Box Hill oval and often watch the Hawks training.  While they train with an intensity that reflects Hawthorn's style, it is still a VFL side with a similar relationship to Hawthorn as the Northern Blues have with Carlton - and perhaps that supports your point Thry.

Regardless of the number of games played, our AFL listed players have been drafted because they are meant to be in the top echelon of footballers.  None of the players who represented the Box Hill Hawks are good enough to be drafted and, with the possible exception of their strength and maturity, should not have an edge over our players.  Of course, how they are coached could be a significant factor, and I suspect that it was.

Ed Curnow won a B+F with Box Hill after playing onky thirteen games with them due to a broken leg.  Became a walkup starter for us, despite what our recruits are supposed to be.

None of our recruits have shown that type of form at VFL level, so id almost be willing to just recruit VFL known quantities until we can prove we have tge ability to spot talent from the draft.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #290
Certainly sounds like we still have problems with our player development. Another area where we don't seem to have moved forward?

We haven't moved forward because we haven't moved Luke Webster on, we seen little progress and he's been there a long time!

Stuffed if I know how the hell he still has a job, in my opinion his results are very, very ordinary and he comes across to me as a finger pointer. That won't help players develop at all! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #291
We haven't moved forward because we haven't moved Luke Webster on, we seen little progress and he been there a long time!

Stuffed if I know how the hell he still has a job, in my opinion his results are very, very ordinary and he comes across to me as a finger pointer. That won't help players develop at all! ;)

I have no faith in him either.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #292
Certainly shows there are deeper problems, doesn't matter if we have the best coaches ( jury is still out on this) if we don't have the right raw players , hard to mould them into future players. Shows our depth is a long way behind the competition leaders

Reply #293
Shows our depth is a long way behind the competition leaders

This week we'll probably replace Thomas with David Ellard, Denis Armfield or a first gamer in Boekhurst, our depth is almost non existent.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #294
Yes sad , for round two, and we are out of new options. I like Armfield & Ellard, but they have have time to consolidate a spot, but not a big part of the future

Reply #295
You play your best team this early in the season, if that's Ellard and and Armfield then so be it. Don't play guys who aren't up to it until they earn it.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #296
Well......this was predicatable.  One loss = 20 pages and counting.
What's the old saying ? "There's no news like bad news"

I'll make sure to come back 2 days after our first win & see how many pages we're up to.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #297
Well......this was predicatable.  One loss = 20 pages and counting.
What's the old saying ? "There's no news like bad news"

I'll make sure to come back 2 days after our first win & see how many pages we're up to.

You'll probably get 3 or 4.
Nothing peculiar about that.
Nothing wrong with it.
When things go well there's little to highlight but the good points.
Football forums work on the basis of argument and different points of view....that's much  more obvious after a negative result and therefore will always generate ( a great deal) more discussion.

Reply #298
We haven't moved forward because we haven't moved Luke Webster on, we seen little progress and he's been there a long time!

x2 and some karma your way LP....the sitcom Webster would have more idea than our version....

Reply #299
Ed Curnow won a B+F with Box Hill after playing onky thirteen games with them due to a broken leg.  Became a walkup starter for us, despite what our recruits are supposed to be.

None of our recruits have shown that type of form at VFL level, so id almost be willing to just recruit VFL known quantities until we can prove we have tge ability to spot talent from the draft.

Curnow was rookied Thry, and we are probably the most successful club at getting value from our rookies.  It's a bit of a puzzle why we can't get the same success from our draft picks, or trades for that matter.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball