Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 11218 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Postulations: AFL Rd 7: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #90
I fear next week - I hope we come out and attack and blow them out of the water but history says We always lose against North no matter where we are on the ladder.

Reply #91
You do, but wasn't it only a minute earlier(?) where Gray could've had a shot but gave 1 extra handball and the shot was missed from 4m out?

You'd think that was playing the %'s too.

Sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

When the adrenaline is going....the brain is usually not.
And that my friend is what separates the contenders from the also rans.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #92
True, but that miss was hardly Gray's fault.

In fairness to Cunningham, he was probably only 0.5m from kicking it and he's a hero. In any case the problem wasn't that kick although it's easy to identify as a moment, there were many problems right through the game relating to ball use and decision making. Hopefully we've got all the bad old stuff out of our system in one game!

There was a lot of good today as well, it was a tough game, North being smashed pretty much had a holiday and will be fresh.
He was on his wrong side, ambition outweighed ability.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #93
I know Rozee was off for 10 mins before half time, but whoever was on him needs some praise.  The Power Golden Boy was kept to 8 possessions. If it was SPS then he’s done 2 mighty jobs in 2 weeks.
It was Willo who stood him mostly after half time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #94
My summary
Cripps - Still is yet to take a game by the scruff of the neck like he did many times last year. Made a fair few mistakes during the game today, but when the whips got cracking at the end we looked for him on a number of occasions and I THINK he was starting to get some form. I hope so anyway.
Ed Curnow - I think he was on Boak this week and did the usual number (bar that miracle goal to Boak in the first). In the votes again.
Sam Docherty - Was solid without being outstanding. Not impacting like he did in the early games but to be expected and still one of our best.
Kade Simpson - Good game by the old timer this week but he still costs us at times.
Sam Walsh - BOG for mine.
Matthew Kennedy - Tries the cute stuff sometimes and stuffs it up. Just stick to the basics kid.
Marc Murphy - As I said earlier time to give him a "managed" day off next week against Norf and bring in a kid
Michael Gibbons - Good game by Gibbo bar the decision to kick long down the line at the end. Did he even look back at any stage?
Jacob Weitering - Another top game. Think he was on Westhoff? Only realised he was playing when he took that mark at the end. Anyway whoever he was playing on he killed them.
Jack Newnes - As always, some good and some bad. On the cusp of getting dropped or having a great game I think.
Will Setterfield - Feel he just doesn't show urgency. Just looks like he's jogging along. Then I look at his stats and he's laid 10 tackles??
Jack Martin - He's quietest game this year but still all class. Will bounce back.
Lachie Plowman - EASILY his best game this year. Showed some good form. Not his fault at the end. Let down by players further up the ground.
Sam Petrevski-Seton - Real quiet early but got some critical touches towards the end and was reasonable.
David Cuningham - Quiet for long periods during the game but then had that opportunity at the death where he could've covered himself in glory. I think he choked.
Mitch McGovern - A couple of cameos but otherwise another forgettable game.
Levi Casboult - Bad Levi today. Honestly believe when he misses opportunities like "that kick" he drops off completely. A real head case.
Liam Jones - Felt sorry for this bloke. Took on the monster Dixon with little help and at times did OK. Needed more support from Weitering and or Pittonet. Thought maybe Levi could've taken on Dixon but Teague seems to back blokes in.
Harry McKay - Shows he can be a star. So exciting to watch at times. I just wish I knew why he gets such a bad run with the umpires (4 frees against). At one stage he got a holding against him in the goal square and he was in front? How does that work.
Eddie Betts - Quiet one for Ed but always trying and kicks his usual goal
Tom Williamson - Quiet as well and made a serious error of judgement when he took that handball from Walsh and nearly put himself out of the game. I mean seriously why even call for the ball? Still thought apart from that he was good.
Marc Pittonet - Thought he got beaten by the new kid in general play but held his own in the ruck.

Reply #95
Just on the Gibbo kick down the line, Teague explained in the presser that the get out kick is down the line, go for the boundary line via a punch (if it cant be marked), a throw in ensues and a reset can occur. That's all well and good, Gibbo followed the rules. Sometimes though, you got to think it through and determine if another strategy is required. Port just kept cutting it off our attacks and sending it back inside 50, they just kept missing (fortunately for us). That's why at that point, it needed another tactic and I think Doc should have taken charge. Anyway, no point flogging a dead horse, it's done now, they will review it hard and hopefully can execute better next time and get the chocolates.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #96
Don’t get why a senior player didn’t come around and call for it short and then run down the clock.  Get that’s what they train for but I don’t remember one time we kicked to a pack, that our guy marked it in play. Not once.

Reply #97
Marc Pittonet - Thought he got beaten by the new kid in general play but held his own in the ruck.

Ladhams had 21 possessions vs Pittonet’s 3, so it was like operating with one less midfielder.  This was Pittonet’s worst showing since the mauling Marshall of the Saints gave him.

I like him, but we can’t carry a ruckman that gets slaughtered around the ground we need to start considering introducing TDK.

Reply #98

One of the best games from Plowman. He found the confidence to be creative. Importantly at the right moments. Hope he can continue that work.

Looks much better away from the last line where he tends to panic and grab his opponent.

Reply #99
Ladhams had 21 possessions vs Pittonet’s 3, so it was like operating with one less midfielder.  This was Pittonet’s worst showing since the mauling Marshall of the Saints gave him.

I like him, but we can’t carry a ruckman that gets slaughtered around the ground we need to start considering introducing TDK.

That's where Kreuzer is handy. We often get value around the ground.

Reply #100
There's been a fair bit of nyah nyah nyah Carlton today, especially by "magnanimous" supporters of other clubs but I refuse to get riled by it this time.   Because I genuinely believe that (1) we really didn't play well enough to win this and were lucky to be within four goals and (2) we're coming and they're starting to sh1t themselves at the prospect of a resurgent Carlton.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #101
The fact this loss hurts is progress in itself.

That Levi hit the post from 4 metres out sucked the life out of the team.  We had kicked half of our score to that point.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #102
We did ourselves no favors in the last five minutes. Having watched the replay.

1. Does anyone have any idea the the free kick against Harry was for in the last??!

2. The blocking by Port for Dixon was a master class, David King and the other idiots don't even mention this in their Dixon diatribe. Clubs get away with this, clearly something we should be investing more time in.e

Go Baggers!
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #103
2. The blocking by Port for Dixon was a master class, David King and the other idiots don't even mention this in their Dixon diatribe. Clubs get away with this, clearly something we should be investing more time in.e
I think it was either Gibbons or Martin who did the same for McKay/McGovern on a couple of occasions, on one they were penalised and on another they got away with it.

I don't know how many times we got two players to the fall of the ball uncontested by opponents and spoiled each other, it shows a lack of voice because they can't blame the crowd noise at the moment!

I don't know what to think of the umpire instructing the Port player to go back through the goals, how would that fair if it was the last moments of a GF and the scores were level? I must say, I'm not a fan of rules being applied subjectively, umpires are there to umpire not to coach idiots out of making stupid mistakes.
The Force Awakens!