Skip to main content
Topic: Goaltracker 2019 (Read 14311 times) previous topic - next topic

Goaltracker 2019

Goal Tracker 2019

Another year…
Last year we went backwards in terms of Goals scored!
What about this year?
Where will the goals come from?
How many will we get this year?
Who'll be the leading goalkicker?
Will we improve our percentage from 2018 to 2019?

After Round 1

Goals-14 Behinds-5
Percentage 67.4% (For- 89, Against- 132)

Goals-15 Behinds 5
Percentage 78.5% (For- 95, Against- 121)

(Target 2018-Goals 192- Behinds 201- For 1353)

Goals- 9 Behinds 10
Percentage 66% (For-64 Against 97)

Goalkickers
(Target 2018- Charlie Curnow  34-20 -224)

Wright 5
Curnow 5
Garlett 2
Casboult -1
Petrevski- Seton-1
Fisher- 1

McKay 2
Fasolo 1
C. Curnow 1
McGovern 1
Murphy 1
Fisher 1
Thomas 1
Newman 1

Re: Goaltracker 2019

Reply #1
After Round 2

Goals-23 Behinds-15
Percentage 70.2% (For- 153, Against- 218)

Goals-24 Behinds 18
Percentage 73% (For- 162, Against- 222)

Goals-20 Behinds 16
Percentage 73.5% (For 136, Against 185)

Goalkickers

Wright 7
Curnow 7
Garlett 2
Fisher- 2

McKay 4
McGovern 3
Fasolo 2

Reply #2
After Round 3

Goals-30 Behinds-30 (We once kicked this score in one game  :D)
Percentage  80.8 %   (For- 210, Against- 260)

Goals-35  Behinds 28
Percentage  73.9 % (For- 238, Against- 322)

Goals- 30 Behinds-30 (There’s that score again :D )
Percentage   75.5% (For-210, Against-278)

Goalkickers

C.Curnow 9
Wright 7
Casboult 5
Garlett 3
Fisher- 3

McKay 5
E.Curnow 5
McGovern 4
Murphy 2
Fasolo 2
Fisher 2

Odd statistic...
In round 2 1969 we scored 30-30-210 against Hawthorn.
After 3 rounds in both 2017 and 2019 we're locked on that total for the three games so far.

Goals are down on last year to this point...but defence looks better.
As a result we're slightly ahead on percentage after 3 rounds.

Reply #3
After Round 4

Goals-42  Behinds-40 
Percentage  79.4%   (For- 292, Against- 368)

Goals-39  Behinds 34
Percentage  61.2 % (For- 268, Against- 438)

Goals-38 Behinds 39
Percentage 79.2% (For 267 Against 337)

Goalkickers

Curnow 9
Wright 8
Casboult 5
Garlett 5
Fisher- 3

McGovern 7
McKay 5
E Curnow 5
Cripps 3
Fisher 3

So there’s something to hang our hat on here…still the 4 losses but...
We’re one point behind our “points for” total after round 4 last year.
Of more significance our defence is looking strong and we’re a hundred points better in terms of "points conceded" than last year.

4 goals + per game.
As a result our percentage has improved significantly after the same number of games.(61.2% to 79.2%)

In the first 4 games last year we conceded
121 v Richmond
101 v Gold Coast
100 v Collingwood
116 v North
(4 Times in 4 games over 100)

So far this year we’ve only conceded
97 v Richmond
88 v Port Adelaide
93 v Sydney
59 v Gold Coast
No 100 point games by us…but none by the opposition either.

Gains in one specific area, but still an improvement in measurable terms.

Reply #4
Interesting Lods, but that has to be seen in the context of low scoring games across the board, as Dennis Cometti points out:

“We had a lot of rule changes in the off-season designed to increase scoring,” Cometti said. “Well, after four rounds, I can tell you we’re losing ground here because currently the average team score is 81 points a game. The last time it was lower was 1967.

“In this season so far, teams have scored over 100 points 14 times — the same time last year, we had the number at 26.”

Are our gains actual, or a product of the rule changes?  I suspect that our defence is a lot more effective than it was last season.  Although our forward line looks dysfunctional, it can’t be too bad if we’re matching last year’s scores - unless everyone else has been dragged down to our level  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #5
Interesting Lods, but that has to be seen in the context of low scoring games across the board, as Dennis Cometti points out:

Are our gains actual, or a product of the rule changes?  I suspect that our defence is a lot more effective than it was last season.  Although our forward line looks dysfunctional, it can’t be too bad if we’re matching last year’s scores - unless everyone else has been dragged down to our level  :-\

Lets look at in relation to other sides.

We're 18th best for "points for"
But 11th best for "points conceded"....last year we were last.
So yes, we're considerably better

As for the forward line....all they're matching is the worst performance by a Carlton attack since we went to  22 game season.
It's bad!

Reply #6

As for the forward line....all they're matching is the worst performance by a Carlton attack since we went to  22 game season.
It's bad!

Blame the coaches for that one!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #7

It's bad!

To be honest, I am not surprised. We have good potential with the tall forwards but not the smalls.

Gibbons, Polson, Ed Curnow and other makeshift small forwards are not working for us. Yes, Curnow had 1 game whereby he kicked 4 goals but does anyone really think it will happen again anytime soon? I miss players such as Eddie, Garlett, Rice, Heaver, Yazz, Troy Bond, Luke O'Sullivan etc who are natural forward line players with good goal sense.

The media focus has been on the talls not working together. That is only part of the problem and one I think that will work itself out soon. Having small forwards that do not kick goals is a major issue and a weakness in the recruiting strategy thus far. We have recruited injury prone small forwards in Fasolo and Pickett. They are still getting injured and/or are not good enough. LeBoi has never been good enough. In all other areas we have enough potential and there is hope. We have neglected/half heatedly focussed on this area and need to get it right asap.

Tall forwards are a centrepiece but without good crumbing forwards to support them, it is going to be hard to kick a score big enough to consistently win games.

Reply #8

Can I just say, that the tinkering of the rules is doing more harm than good (its a position I have held for years)??

How do we expect a young inexperienced team get better in a situation where the game is transformed every year by rule changes??

Geelong are going to win a flag, because they keep having a team of experienced players, with a solid foundation of game plan and culture, which is conducive to being best able to make minor tweaks to take advantage of said rule changes.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Can I just say, that the tinkering of the rules is doing more harm than good (its a position I have held for years)?? Yes, rule changes generally produce counter-intuitive results and often fail to give appropriate credit for coaches’ ability to develop tactics to negate the changes.

How do we expect a young inexperienced team get better in a situation where the game is transformed every year by rule changes??I’m not sure that rule changes have much impact; younger players will make poor decisions regardless of the rules.  Perhaps a more pertinent question is how do we expect supporters to appreciate the game when the AFL is constantly attempting to transform it?

Geelong are going to win a flag, because they keep having a team of experienced players, with a solid foundation of game plan and culture, which is conducive to being best able to make minor tweaks to take advantage of said rule changes.I’m not sure that they will win the flag but they do have a well-balanced list and plenty of depth.  In fact, they are considerably better than I thought.  Of course, they do have a considerable home ground advantage on their side too!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
Rules don't affect one's ability to execute BASIC SKILLS.

Let's get the basics sorted before we address the nuances?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
@DJC, our lack of composure stems from a lack of understanding of what to do in what situation.  the 6-6-6 has resulted in us having to adjust what we do when we are in front (i.e. structuring up behind the ball, and in midfield which is where the bulk of our inexperience which effects our ability to find our forwards).  Some of our boys are still finding their feet at AFL level, and are only just getting up to AFL level fitness.  The rules have had an effect here.  Increased workrate is required to structure up accordingly due to having to get into starting positions and run harder, faster further than ever before.

Its really simple for me.  I grew up playing a sport where the rules didnt change much if at all.  The way an experienced player handles game situations, is very different to how an inexperienced head does, and that means that we are significantly effected with respect to shifting goalposts, and might go someway to explain the lack of form of Charlie Curnow (who is covering a lot of distance to achieve, not much).

Rules don't affect one's ability to execute BASIC SKILLS.

Let's get the basics sorted before we address the nuances?

Yes and no.

I.e. The experienced sides are better able to adjust, because all they have to change where they are kicking under pressure.

Our boys are trying to figure out what to do under pressure, and then execute it accordingly.  they are inexperienced and therefore choose the wrong option under pressure (Dow handballing into the corridor instead of kicking down the line with a couple of minutes left) and execute it poorly because of the pressure.

Nuances are extremely pertinent to decision making, and therefore composure.  Inexperience needs more time to execute things and appreciate the situation and then choose the appropriate option.

Minus runners who are "onfield" coaches so to speak and you have even less ability to execute under pressure due to lack of composure.

Anyone will tell you that these guys execute the basics at training extremely well, and in game situations, a metre off can look like a canyon of difference.

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Yes and no.

I.e. The experienced sides are better able to adjust, because all they have to change where they are kicking under pressure.

Yes, it's clear rules can affect the threshold which determines a basic skill non-linearly. There are many who were OK under the old rules who have quickly become unacceptable, this seems to be the driving force behind coaching tactics.

So exposed is the fact that the megalomaniac coaches are nowhere near as good at teaching athletes to kick the football as they claim. The game tactics confirm this, it's like an admission of guilt or inability! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
I think you guys, like the 455 coaches at CFC - and the players - are over thinking it.

It's a pretty darn simple game really.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #14
Yes, it's clear rules can affect the threshold which determines a basic skill non-linearly. There are many who were OK under the old rules who have quickly become unacceptable, this seems to be the driving force behind coaching tactics.

So exposed is the fact that the megalomaniac coaches are nowhere near as good at teaching athletes to kick the football as they claim. The game tactics confirm this, it's like an admission of guilt or inability! ;)

You could argue that the players are the ones that work on honing their skills, not the coaches.

The coaches are there to direct traffic, and inform players on where they can and should improve particularly with respect to the game plan.

Where a player has gone from acceptable to unacceptable can be a combination of factors, but the one that is likely to be the biggest is composure.

its cost us more than anything thus far.

Paul Hewson