Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 23: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 11352 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 23: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #15
Not sure why Cripps started on Dangerfield, he was never going to be able to run with him.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #16
Cats scoring shots with the wind

1st: 9
2nd: 8
4th: 14

Blues scoring shots with the wind

3rd: 8

Cats scoring shots against the wind

3rd: 3

Blues scoring shots against the wind

1st: 4
2nd: 7
4th: 2
Carlton players with 10 disposals or less - 9
Contested possessions: Geelong 174 - Carlton 135

Reply #17
Just got home from the game and I wouldn't worry about the umpires or the wind, I would worry about how many of our players gave us next to nothing today. Cripps, Murphy, E Curnow, Walsh all get big ticks. Very hard to find a good contributor after that. You can't beat good sides with that many passengers

Reply #18
Thank goodness that year is over! DT and his coaching team have got a busy summer ahead of them. I can relax a bit now and watch the finals with a detached and academic interest,
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
Just got home from the game and I wouldn't worry about the umpires or the wind, I would worry about how many of our players gave us next to nothing today. Cripps, Murphy, E Curnow, Walsh all get big ticks. Very hard to find a good contributor after that. You can't beat good sides with that many passengers

Yep spot on.

We talk up our kids like most bottom teams do, yet was concerning how the top teams kids looked every bit as promising as ours....Walsh aside.

Having said that congratulations to Sammy Walsh for breaking most disposals in first season. Nice to watch a kid that you don’t have any questions over. 

Reply #20
We were unlucky with the wind....
The umpires were up to their usual shenanigans (I'm not sure how a ball that comes off a players leg below the knee isn't a goal...but I'll need to see it again.)

but...we have to own this.

Too much again was left to too few and once again our best players were basically players who were on the list before the rebuild and our two number one draft picks.
Weitering was outstanding and Walsh after a bit of a slow start cemented his place as the leading disposal winner in a debut year.

Hopefully 2020 will see a more consistency in some of our youngsters and players like Dow and Fisher who have had a down season bounce back.

Reply #21

Wouldn't worry about today. Always like to just check out for the year in this round. I'm looking more the last 11 weeks rather than today. All sides have shockers.

Reply #22

Yes, nice post. I think as the season progresses the differences between boys and men become more and more apparent, and that's what it was today, men vs boys. And that not only has a physical component, but a mental one as well. Geelong are where we want to get to - match hardened, tough physical bodies, with match hardened, experienced minds. They are class all the way through, played a lot of football together, have built a habit of winning, and simply know how to get the job done.

Teams in our position will always have a few wins / honourable losses and then a smacking now and again. It's a very noticeable and consistent pattern.

And congrats to Sammy Walsh on breaking Greene's record - surely the Rising Star is his now ? Rozee has dropped right off the pace from what I can tell.

Reply #23
Yep spot on.

We talk up our kids like most bottom teams do, yet was concerning how the top teams kids looked every bit as promising as ours....Walsh aside.

Having said that congratulations to Sammy Walsh for breaking most disposals in first season. Nice to watch a kid that you don’t have any questions over.
It’s quite concerning just how badly some of our young players go into their shell and hesitate.
I’m hoping Teague has something up his sleeve in the pre-season that makes them breath fire and have a red hot go.
That and a new game plan that doesn’t rely so much on long kicking down the boundary.

Reply #24
Yes of course. But also remember

16v1
Nothing to play for v top spot to play for
crap conditions
crap umpiring
crap Ablett danger rowan etc who whinge at the umpires doe enery decision
crap wind direction that the tv commentators said went with Cats 3 quarters!

I look forward to our ridiculous no goal being overturned after the fact, ffs!

Let’s not be hard on the boys today - all down in effort because who really isn’t at this stage of the year with nothing to play for!?

Reply #25
Yes of course. But also remember

16v1
Nothing to play for v top spot to play for
crap conditions
crap umpiring
crap Ablett danger rowan etc who whinge at the umpires doe enery decision
crap wind direction that the tv commentators said went with Cats 3 quarters!

I look forward to our ridiculous no goal being overturned after the fact, ffs!

Let’s not be hard on the boys today - all down in effort because who really isn’t at this stage of the year with nothing to play for!?

They had tons to play for mate. 

No A grade talent has ever wanted to come to us since Judd and performing like that in the last round surely won’t help.

I’m tired of the excuses. Leigh Matthews is known as the greatest to ever have played and regularly says he never spent any time worrying about umpires. Says he would never ever waste a moment on something football related he or his team couldn’t influence.

And he was one of the biggest winners the game has seen.

Reply #26
I agree Shawy. I understand getting a hard deal. I also understand you need to do what is in your control. You can’t beat the weather. You can’t beat the umpires. You have control of your play. Something we definitely did not do today. Not at all. 11 goals. Not a close game by any measure.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #27
It’s the last round? After yet another tumultuous year?

Optimistic about next year ????????????????

Reply #28
Commentary on tv that Geelong wind was worth 5 goals.

Congratulations to Sam Walsh. What a champion. Take a bow and enjoy a well earned holiday son.

While today was disappointing in many ways, it wasn't a surprise. The youngsters always tire as the season goes on. We have lots of youngsters. Skinny youngsters at that. Ideally the likes of Dow, LOB, Walshy and even Fisher (time out with #leg) would get rested or an occasional run in the 2's. With injuries we didn't have that option.

Looking at the 2nd half of the season our boys have been ok. Get a fit list and a preseason under a new coach and we'll see 2020 improvement.

The off season will be an interesting one for us.

Go SOS
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #29
They had tons to play for mate. 

No A grade talent has ever wanted to come to us since Judd and performing like that in the last round surely won’t help.

I’m tired of the excuses. Leigh Matthews is known as the greatest to ever have played and regularly says he never spent any time worrying about umpires. Says he would never ever waste a moment on something football related he or his team couldn’t influence.

And he was one of the biggest winners the game has seen.

Nothing to play for at all. We got 6 wins from 11, some very good wins, players thinking about Carlton won't make their mind up on one game. They'll see the last 11 games.