Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS (Read 23796 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS

Reply #45
Very little positives to come out of the game, so i'll try my best to provide some.

1. The obvious one was Harry McKay. Big bloke who can take a grab, but good on the move too. Looks very comfortable running with ball in hand. Very good kick at goal, despite some yips he's experienced recently. Harry is back, but this version is 'the modern day dinosaur'!

2. How well GWS played together. How well they worked as a team. Why is this a positive? Because not so long ago, they were a rabble that were getting flogged week in week out and they had little hope apart from a talented list. Connect the dots and we see not all hope is lost. The difference is they have played 100+ games together and understand how eachother work. How many 'no look' handballs and kicks just happened to find a teammate today? Are they the luckiest team around or do they know how eachother play.

3. Cripps is probably leading the brownlow. Is definitely leading the coaches votes....and probably a whole lot of other votes as well. He was bound to have a bad one. Thankfully(?) it came against a side that we were no hope of winning against...at least not after the first quarter. Its best we don't 'waste' his good games.

4. We have played 31 players so far this year. Will be 32 when we bring in Kennedy next week. Should have been 34 with Pickett and Docherty unavailable for the year. We are finding out plenty about our list and plenty of kids are getting games in them. This will help long term. Players like Obrien and Stocker are not meant to be playing as much footy as they have been given the stage of their development, but it will help them long term in terms of what is required at AFL level. Short term pain, long term gain. The downside of going so deep into you list, and playing so many kids is what you see today. Too many indians, and not enough chiefs. A balance that will be restored when we get some more players back from injury.

So thats about all i got.  :-\

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one team turn everything to ???? and the other have such a Midas touch as today.

That’s as much positive as I can find.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #46
There was one moment LOB tried to tackle a GWS lad (forget who) and physically couldn't get him off his feet. The lad just bent over and carried him on his back.

LOB simply doesn't have the size to compete effectively at AFL level and should not be put back until he does.

EDIT: That being said, LOB had more touches and more fantasy points than Cripps did today.....well so did 15 other players wearing a CFC monogram.

LOB was a fantasy selection at pick 10, Fisher tackles fine and is built like a baby whippet...lets be brutally honest LOB doesnt like contesting or tackling and we are not good enough to afford
players who like to sit on the outside looking for a cheapie and lose interest when its their time to tackle.

Reply #47
I watched LOB closely for a while today - he actually just stood there on one occasion and literally watched a GWS player with the ball just sweep past him without offering any form of a tackle. The guy literally just brushed past him and LOB just jogged away. I could not believe my eyes. This game should have been turned into a dogfight with us just scrapping to spoil their every move and disrupt their ball movement. We may have ended up with a much more respectable loss.

Cookie most of our kids just jog when they don’t have the ball.

SPS, Dow, Setterfield don’t have a sprint gear and are too one paced.

Reply #48
Yesterday I watched a low level suburban game - 101pts at half time and 209 at the end.  Very boring, even with the right team winning.  Today was shocking.  Didn't even bother getting emotionally involved and just kept half en eye on it.

Today I watched the U9s and thought that there are some similarities.  If you are 7 before 1 January, you can play under 9s.  This means that there are some small skinny kids playing against some large 9yos.  Often the small skinny's are timid, not reading play and lack confidence under a bit of pressure.  The bigger kids, or ones that have played the extra year tend to dominate.

Unfortunately, we have a bunch of small skinny kids.  Fisher was very fumbly early, which was indicative of what was to come.  Late in the game LOB should have been in the thick of things, opted out and his effort to tackle would have scored 1 out of 1,000. 

Voting in the Park Medal will be interesting - Garlett, Kerr and Kennedy were probably in the best.

While our defence has been decimated, our midfiled has to start standing up and being accountable. 

Couldn't be the forwards, the ball wasn't there.  Couldn't be the midfield as the ball wasn't with them.  Couldn't be with the backline, as they kept giving it back.  Leaves the bench!

Interestingly, I thought the commentary was quite bullish at the start about us, but then turned to what we might do (eg throw all experience in the middle and tell them they have to stem the bleeding).  Not sure if we did any of it.

The result wasn't so unexpected - the manner and magnitude of it was.

Got a lot to do before the Saints next week.

Reply #49
Maybe they all had the flu? 

I say that tongue in cheek, however our no. 2 wears his heart on his sleeve and gives his everything, JSOS, was as inept and ineffectual as all the others.

Reply #50
LOB was a fantasy selection at pick 10, Fisher tackles fine and is built like a baby whippet...lets be brutally honest LOB doesnt like contesting or tackling and we are not good enough to afford
players who like to sit on the outside looking for a cheapie and lose interest when its their time to tackle.

;D ;D ;D

Reply #51
Maybe they all had the flu? 

I say that tongue in cheek, however our no. 2 wears his heart on his sleeve and gives his everything, JSOS, was as inept and ineffectual as all the others.

Are you referring to Dow as No2? In terms of Jack Silvagni, I thought he was one of our very few contributors and continued his 2019 improvement. 

Reply #52
Are you referring to Dow as No2? In terms of Jack Silvagni, I thought he was one of our very few contributors and continued his 2019 improvement.
No sorry I meant our no2 in heart (cripps being no1!)

I meant Jack

Reply #53
I have a positive.
We were lucky they didn't kick straight

Reply #54
I have rarely seen a midfield beaten so comprehensively as ours was beaten today. And they didn't have Ward and Coniglio. We have very serious midfield problems that need to be addressed. We are way off the pace

Reply #55
Heaven forbid we don't want to see anything happen  to Cripps, but it does throw another element into any evaluation of the process.

How much are we actually developing in the rest of the list if we are so reliant on him
He makes the players around him better , stand a little taller, and if he's curtailed we seem very, very ordinary.

I said at the start of the year, we need to get him out of the midfield for periods.
Someone asked why would you take your best midfielder out of the middle.

The answer is to develop multiple players and make us harder to play against.

The Hawks always had multiple avenues to goal even when Dunstall was at his best.
St Kilda relied mostly on Lockett

Reply #56
I have rarely seen a midfield beaten so comprehensively as ours was beaten today. And they didn't have Ward and Coniglio. We have very serious midfield problems that need to be addressed. We are way off the pace

Totally agree, we need a couple of experienced bigger midfield bodies to help Cripps, Setterfield is a newbie kid learning the game and Kennedy has been injury prone.
and while he has been in the system a while is still finding his feet as a regular senior player.

Maybe more than small forwards we need a Marlion Pickett and Jye Bolton in the mid season draft who can help Cripps and give us some cover while Setterfield and Kennedy establish themselves.

Reply #57
I'm wondering if it is time to think outside the square. There are so many of us that have had enough, we're over it, time to do something different. We are so terribly deficient in the midfield, let's do something about it. At current ladder positions we'll end up with picks around 13 and 19. We desperately need mature, quality mids. We have an excess of key forwards (McKay, C Curnow, McGovern, Casboult, Kerr). Who could we get for say C Curnow plus pick 13? McGovern plus pick 19? I'm sick of losing, get some players in next year who can play

Reply #58
Totally agree, we need a couple of experienced bigger midfield bodies to help Cripps, Setterfield is a newbie kid learning the game and Kennedy has been injury prone.
and while he has been in the system a while is still finding his feet as a regular senior player.

Maybe more than small forwards we need a Marlion Pickett and Jye Bolton in the mid season draft who can help Cripps and give us some cover while Setterfield and Kennedy establish themselves.

Kennedy has been playing 2s
E Curnow on a flank

Bolton prefers the bigger bodies of Fisher, SPS and Dow

Jack did ok in the third when in the middle

The coach is wasting valuable development time

Maybe Shorten could give him a new plan

Reply #59
I said at the start of the year, we need to get him out of the midfield for periods.
Someone asked why would you take your best midfielder out of the middle.

The answer is to develop multiple players and make us harder to play against.

The Hawks always had multiple avenues to goal even when Dunstall was at his best.
St Kilda relied mostly on Lockett

I remember Raydan mounting an argument for Judd stepping away from the mid-field to let Paddy Cripps develop in a similar way.
I argued against it at the time thinking it was better for the young player to watch a champion at close hand.....but once Judd went out of the side Cripps stepped up very quickly.

https://www.carltonsc.com/index.php?topic=2167.0

The problem is we would probably have further short term pain while the young guys developed.
Can the club and coach afford that at this time.