Skip to main content
Topic: Price Gouging - Covid Style (Read 3804 times) previous topic - next topic

Price Gouging - Covid Style

I thought we could keep a lookout for deals or fire off warnings to people as required if we had a thread. There are innumerable good deals going down, as well as many dodgy operators.

My first one is the local freight companies, all are now gouging people because of COVID. Some have hiked prices by as much as 300%, at a time when wages are being subsidized by the government and fuel prices are at a low not seen for many years. It's criminal behavior.
The Force Awakens!

Re: Price Gouging - Covid Style

Reply #1
Too the mongrels selling hand sanitiser at ridiculous prices, pull your farken heads in, its Un-Australian.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
I appreciate some of this can be explained away due to the loss of airline services, some things are hazardous or perishable freight and the availability to ship it is reduced, by it's not carte-blanche! At the moment ethanol is being turned into handsanitiser at 6000% markup, a $1000 IBC 100 Proof container is turned into a $60,000 IBC 62% Proof handsanitiser. One joint down our way is even getting the Fed wage subsidy to do it, FFS! Keep in mind, ethanol is historically cheaper than petrol, but you can't run it in your car because it detonates before ignition timing!

You'd expect the baddies will gouge and get out before repercussions hit, and they will eventually get hit as the Feds try to recovery misappropriated funds and taxes(alcohol is a good example).

Another prime example is food basics, raw ingredients, pet supplies. None of it is in short supply, in fact the opposite, there is a short term glut. Supermarkets are gouging some items horrendously, flour is a great example, you can pretty much buy the good stuff off your local baker for 1/2 the price supermarkets are now charging.

Some things are being price smashed, lamb, lower than it's been per-kilo for years, but just weeks ago they were claiming the national flock was decimated by fires and prices would sky-rocket. Now Supermarkets $19/kg, local butchers $14/kg. wtf? I appreciate region to region price differences, but that $5/kg variance is one suburb.

Be smart people, things have changed and will keep changing!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
I appreciate some of this can be explained away due to the loss of airline services, some things are hazardous or perishable freight and the availability to ship it is reduced, by it's not carte-blanche! At the moment ethanol is being turned into handsanitiser at 6000% markup, a $1000 IBC 100 Proof container is turned into a $60,000 IBC 62% Proof handsanitiser. One joint down our way is even getting the Fed wage subsidy to do it, FFS! Keep in mind, ethanol is historically cheaper than petrol, but you can't run it in your car because it detonates before ignition timing!

You 'd expect the baddies will gouge and get out before repercussions hit, and they will eventually hit as the Feds try to recovery misappropriated funds and taxes(alcohol is a good example).

Another prime example is food basics, raw ingredients, pet supplies. None of it is in short supply, in fact the opposite, there is a short term glut. Supermarkets are gouging some items horrendously, flour is a great example, you can pretty much buy the good stuff off your local baker for 1/2 the price supermarkets are now charging.

Some things are being price smashed, lamb, lower than it's been per-kilo for years, but just weeks ago they were claiming the national flock was decimated by fires and prices would sky-rocket. Now Supermarkets $19/kg, local butchers $14/kg. wtf? I appreciate region to region price differences, but that $5/kg variance is one suburb.

Be smart people, things have changed and will keep changing!

Online Butchers are going @$60-80kg for Scotch Fillet etc......😒

Reply #4

I didn't realise we have a cattle shortage, they must have all been exported to China with the billion masks!  ::)

In the meantime;
Dangerfield said it was important the AFL set the right example for the rest of the community
Doing it tough they are, setting the example for all society by taking what equates to about an 8% annual pay cut!

Something tells me my price gouging commentary is focused on the wrong things!  >:(
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Plenty of geelong players to hate.  Milburn was my #1 ... but this mangy dog?  

Reply #6
Re-watch that game carefully.  Milburn's wasn't the only dog act.    Our ruck that day - Mark Porter I think - gets kicked while on the ground chasing a ball on the deck.  The Geelong player just indiscriminately sinks the slipper in.

Makes me see red how flogs like Whateley continue to bag out the crowd for that day,  but I blame the umpires for not stepping in and dealing with things.   They lost control through their inaction.

What did Milburn think was going to happen...jump into a bloke - a crowd favourite - totally open trying to mark with his elbow raised.  Can't remember the sanction but it should have been 10 weeks.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #7
Three matches Prof

Reply #8
Here Tis for anyone with fading memories of the Handbaggers in full Handbagging mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXrRX0PbvyY
Mensch and Kilpatrick were also runners up for dog of the day!

Kilpatrick was a real dog act, Porter was sitting on the ground and Kilpatrick gave him a hip and shoulder to the face.

Mensch give Kouta a gutless blindside left hook.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
They wont get my money. Aldi ($29/ kg) and Coles scotch fillet is awesome value and very good quality (thus far). I am not suggesting for a moment its the BEST scotch fillet I have had, but its damn good, I have had a lot worse from supposed quality butchers.
PS Scotch Fillet and Rib Eye are my two faves.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #10
They wont get my money. Aldi ($29/ kg) and Coles scotch fillet is awesome value and very good quality (thus far). I am not suggesting for a moment its the BEST scotch fillet I have had, but its damn good, I have had a lot worse from supposed quality butchers.

With a peppercorn sauce and a good glass of beer :)

Reply #11
With a peppercorn sauce and a good glass of beer :)
Like it but to be honest, prefer no sauces, just the meat BBQ properly with a big Aussie SA Shiraz or Cab.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #12
Yep,  that was the incident I vaguely remember.  Glen Kilpatrick, what a gutless cnut, epitomises that period of their history. 

Milburn clapping the crowd, then pooing himself.  What a quality individual.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13

Same page, GTC, same page. Lucky here on the Island with two bloody ripper butchers... one is out the back of Cowes, they grow and slaughter their own beasts - the Dobe loves his brisket bones! The other butcher is in the Woolies complex and gets plenty of business because Woolies steaks are shizen. He gets King Island rib eye and scotch fillet.

Also totally agree, no sauces, flame or bbq grilled - natural juices. Drool.

But I always remember my manners and provide a plate of ice cubes and lawn clippings for any vegans.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
Same page, GTC, same page. Lucky here on the Island with two bloody ripper butchers... one is out the back of Cowes, they grow and slaughter their own beasts - the Dobe loves his brisket bones! The other butcher is in the Woolies complex and gets plenty of business because Woolies steaks are shizen. He gets King Island rib eye and scotch fillet.

Also totally agree, no sauces, flame or bbq grilled - natural juices. Drool.

But I always remember my manners and provide a plate of ice cubes and lawn clippings for any vegans.
Question: Salt raw pre BBQ or after? I have always been a salt after man. On a recent trip to France, one of Mrs G2C's cousins is a chef (they have a small meat restaurant chain) and so I asked him. He says salt before definitely. Brings out the juices during cooking, I was told the opposite (drys it out). I have been doing it since and is 100% better.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th