Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 6 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 6900 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 6 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #195
There's lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth on Carlton supporting social media this week.
There seems to be a lot more angst over this loss rather than the Adelaide one, which in my opinion was much worse.
One punter even suggested that we'd brought Walsh back to soon and he should go back to the reserves.
I think it was Ricky Gervais who said something along the lines of... "Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone else is entitled to find those opinions F#ck$n ridiculous"

We're apparently a crap team with a crap coach who we need to replace.
Well if we're such a crap team with such a crap coach it reflects pretty poorly on St Kilda and their coach who were beaten in just about every key statistic and could only beat us by 22 points ;)

I don't understand the fixation with statistics.  If they are an accurate reflection of the game then we should have won.

Football statistics don't show whether a disposal by hand or foot was effective or whether it caused a turnover resulting in a goal; whether the ball was kicked sideways or backwards to no effect; whether a ruck tap was to our advantage etc, etc.

Until there is ever a meaningful breakdown of the statistics I regard them as being covered by the saying "lies, damn lies and statistics".

Reply #196
I don't understand the fixation with statistics.  If they are an accurate reflection of the game then we should have won.

Football statistics don't show whether a disposal by hand or foot was effective or whether it caused a turnover resulting in a goal; whether the ball was kicked sideways or backwards to no effect; whether a ruck tap was to our advantage etc, etc.

Until there is ever a meaningful breakdown of the statistics I regard them as being covered by the saying "lies, damn lies and statistics".

Statistics are valuable and regarded as important information, and every club has their own stats people that do I assume what Champion Data does. The problem for us on the outside is that only a small number of stats are easily available, and they need sound football knowledge to interpret and use helpfully - not football forum level knowledge.

Reply #197

Totally agree.
They are a component only.
They're a part of the story.
But they're often mentioned by coaches, commentators and analysists...so they do have a role
They're an indicator of where you're breaking down.
If you're dominating scoring and clearances yet are behind on the scoreboard there is a problem in efficiency and accuracy.
For the mere mortal you can probably gather that from observation of the game but in the review of performance by coaches they probably give a starting point for analysis and correction...and sometimes an indicator that the scoreboard alone also isn't telling the full story of how a game develops.

Reply #198
Lyon won the coaching duel when he put Sinclair into the middle, that changed the game. I seem to remember Sinclair doing a number on us several times.
Yep we won the stats but let's dive deeper...the Lyon game plan forces you to feck around with ball, go sideways, then sideways again with useless kicks as you try and pick your way through and it's perfect for a slow moving , poor kicking team like we have.
The stat count for our players was ridiculous this game...our mids had so much of the ball but no idea on what to do with it.
Lyon won this game in the coaching box and showed he hasn't lost much of his cunning since his Freo days.
Spot on. Yep and as usual with our club another dumb decision in passing on Lyon who while he may coach a non exciting game plan did get 2 separate lists into GFs and if not for a cruel bounce would be a premiership coach and yet we decided to run with a champion player but a man that failed miserably the last time he was head coach.

Typical.

Reply #199
Spot on. Yep and as usual with our club another dumb decision in passing on Lyon who while he may coach a non exciting game plan did get 2 separate lists into GFs and if not for a cruel bounce would be a premiership coach and yet we decided to run with a champion player but a man that failed miserably the last time he was head coach.

Typical.

Strictly speaking, that's not quite right. Lyon was only prepared to go through an interview process against the likes of Clarkson and Brad Scott. He basically pulled out when he realised he would have to compete for the job against assistants, something which he clearly viewed as beneath him. Folks will have to make up their own minds about the merits of his position. The club did not pass on him as such.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/carlton-blues/afl-2022-news-ross-lyon-hits-back-over-carlton-coaching-decision-craig-hutchison/news-story/57cc22e343e6ba2dee416497b0b003f2

It came after Lyon told Triple M on the weekend: “The one thing I felt sick about … I was like ‘Yep I’m in, yeah I’m keen, I’m happy to go through a process. But this is what I said: ‘I don’t want to go through a process against other assistants’. I’ll go through a process against Brad Scott, Clarko, that’s fair enough. But assistants? I was like eh.”

Also, as I suggested earlier, his last 4 years at Fremantle were very average - it's not unreasonable to speculate that he was burnt out or washed up.

Reply #200
It's a bit of a Lyon 'love-in' at the moment.
There is no doubt he is a great tactical and game day coach.
It's silly to dispute otherwise.
In fact his time away has probably enabled him to hone those skills.
He was pretty impressive in some of the analysis he used to do on 'Footy Classified'.

Can he maintain and keep the love flowing over the season is the question.
It's funny...everyone wants him now but when we had a poll on the new coach after Teague, 55 people voted and only 3 voted for Lyon.

Im not sure Lyon was the full problem it was more the response from our coaching box or lack of and as GTC suggested Voss just seemed to be reacting how Lyon wanted when he made moves and spent the afternoon reacting rather than being proactive.
We seem to lack forward planning or our scouting is poor....Collingwood just snuck home the previous week with the Daicos kids getting ridiculous stats and heavily losing the stat count doesnt worry Lyon as that means his game plan is working and you are being sucked into his vortex where play just goes back and forwards in an arc until its turned over by one of your poor kicking players.
We had way more disposals and they had four more inside 50's........ WTF were we doing with all that ball?......having kick to kick in the middle and across half back? That is a coaching fail.....its not a talent issue, either the players are stupid and cant follow directions or the directions are wrong.
Is Lyon a genius..No..... Are we dumb...Yes

Reply #201

We had way more disposals and they had four more inside 50's........ WTF were we doing with all that ball?......having kick to kick in the middle and across half back? That is a coaching fail.....its not a talent issue, either the players are stupid and cant follow directions or the directions are wrong.
^ this

The second half was diabolical to watch - back slow sideways back again then a switch then turnover, bang, saints goal. 

It almost looked like the players were stuck in a mindset and couldn’t think for themselves to change it up.  Completely frustrating crap to watch.

Also as someone said above, Lyon pulled out because he wanted the job handed to him. Remember there was some sort of  commentary coming out about some allegations made against him whilst at Freo. Then he pulled out and didn’t want to interview to a panel for the job. So you think we should’ve just handed it to him rather than go thru a process. Voss had also turned our guys around.

Reply #202
Im not sure Lyon was the full problem it was more the response from our coaching box or lack of and as GTC suggested Voss just seemed to be reacting how Lyon wanted when he made moves and spent the afternoon reacting rather than being proactive.
We seem to lack forward planning or our scouting is poor....Collingwood just snuck home the previous week with the Daicos kids getting ridiculous stats and heavily losing the stat count doesnt worry Lyon as that means his game plan is working and you are being sucked into his vortex where play just goes back and forwards in an arc until its turned over by one of your poor kicking players.

I actually thought we came prepared. The plan seemed sound given we were without Saad and Docherty. It was always going to be on the mids and forwards and the lack of connection between those two groups was the main problem. Part of the issue is we have two stand-out forwards aided by some rather mediocre performing assistants.
Our small forwards are ineffective and our mids aren't impacting the scoreboard.
We came with the right attitude but were let down to often by poor decisions and disposal. The criticism in my eyes was more about our ability to react and nullify once the midfield advantage was lost after half-time, and yes I guess that is on Voss. Yep, the cross ground kicking is often frustrating. It's often used when there is really no advantage to it.
Voss apparently had a few personal issues during the lead-up to the game which kept him a way from the club for a day or two. It can't be used as an excuse but it may have had some effect on his focus.

Reply #203
Also as someone said above, Lyon pulled out because he wanted the job handed to him. Remember there was some sort of  commentary coming out about some allegations made against him whilst at Freo. Then he pulled out and didn’t want to interview to a panel for the job. So you think we should’ve just handed it to him rather than go thru a process. Voss had also turned our guys around.

It's one of the reasons we probably need to wait a bit.
If we compare Voss's initial games at Carlton to Ross's at St Kilda we were probably filled with the same enthusiasm this time last year.

Reply #204
I've been a Carlton supporter my whole life and no matter what happens when Carlton play against St. Kilda we just have no idea how to beat them.

It's been that way as long as I can remember, and I wasn't expecting it to change now.  Imagine wanting to slit your wrists because we lost to the form side of the competition?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #205
Lyon won the coaching duel when he put Sinclair into the middle, that changed the game. I seem to remember Sinclair doing a number on us several times.
Yep, in a nutshell. Sinclair has spanked us many times in the past.
Not entirely sure but I think Ed C had the job on Sinclair when he was at half-back? Kept him relatively quiet.
Then Ross moved him into the middle, but Voss decided Ed wasn't the option? That there is one big mistake. I don't use the "out-coached" term much but in this instance it's warranted.

Reply #206
Yep, in a nutshell. Sinclair has spanked us many times in the past.
Not entirely sure but I think Ed C had the job on Sinclair when he was at half-back? Kept him relatively quiet.
Then Ross moved him into the middle, but Voss decided Ed wasn't the option? That there is one big mistake. I don't use the "out-coached" term much but in this instance it's warranted.

Agree that our coach appears to not like or be capable of adjusting mid game. However in his defence our gameplan was sound and we were way on top in general play in the first half but just don’t finish off our play and make poor decisions entering 50. We should have had a clear buffer at half time but as I said poor execution cost us again.

Reply #207
I've been a Carlton supporter my whole life and no matter what happens when Carlton play against St. Kilda we just have no idea how to beat them.

It's been that way as long as I can remember, and I wasn't expecting it to change now.  Imagine wanting to slit your wrists because we lost to the form side of the competition?

Yes. It was actually only 15 min that beat us, generally due to our crap. Without that we may have been on top of the ladder. On the bright side we have alot more improvement in us than St.Kilda. Hopefully it comes to fruition, the hard part.

Reply #208

Stats work better when they are combined with other stats.

Reply #209
Lyon's coaching record is a mixed bag. Some terrific seasons, some ordinary ones. 2016,17,18 and 19 were ordinary by any measure. 16th, 14th, 14th, 13th respectively. 4 seasons in a row of lowly finishes has to tarnish the reputation somewhat IMO.

Stats can be read either way Paul.......