Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 12 Post Game Passing Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 4000 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 12 Post Game Passing Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #90
It's important to bear in mind that one of the few pieces of the Teague review that was made public was the fact that he focussed too much on offence and not enough on defence. Clearly Voss was brought in to rectify that, and one way of achieving that is to play safe, keepings off and deny the opposition the ball. I can see the logic, and I can also see that he is trying to get the boys to understand the mood of the game at particular moments, when to run and gun and when to go safe. Voss is following the standard and in vogue coaching mantra of wanting us to be a "team that is hard to play against" and wanting to build from a solid base of contest and defence. Clearly we're a good way away from implementing that consistently.

Interesting you say that Paul. A former coach of ours, MM, said last night that there are 2 forms of defence, 1st is if you have the ball and 2nd if they do not have the ball, i.e.
 keeping's off. Unfortunately if you turn the ball over as much as we do then it's not defence any more.

Reply #91
Interesting you say that Paul. A former coach of ours, MM, said last night that there are 2 forms of defence, 1st is if you have the ball and 2nd if they do not have the ball. Unfortunately if you turn the ball over as much as we do then it's not defence any more.

Yep, I agree. The ideas I'm sure are sound, but the implementation is wanting. I'm sure this is the reason why we have the chip kick, 15m backwards passes etc. - to limit turnover. Perhaps it becomes a negative reinforcement loop for the players - they think they're not trusted to go bold, so it preys on their mind and affects their confidence. Perhaps Voss and the other coaches have watched the boys at training and on game day, and have seen enough to feel their damage limitation policy is justified ? I really wish I knew. I can't help but feel that the key to unlock all this is something simple and obvious, it's right under everyone's noses and they're just not seeing it. I wonder if coaches and players have had a heart to heart like Justin Longmuir and the Freo boys ? Maybe our boys need something like that.

Reply #92
Yep, I agree. The ideas I'm sure are sound, but the implementation is wanting. I'm sure this is the reason why we have the chip kick, 15m backwards passes etc. - to limit turnover. Perhaps it becomes a negative reinforcement loop for the players - they think they're not trusted to go bold, so it preys on their mind and affects their confidence. Perhaps Voss and the other coaches have watched the boys at training and on game day, and have seen enough to feel their damage limitation policy is justified ? I really wish I knew. I can't help but feel that the key to unlock all this is something simple and obvious, it's right under everyone's noses and they're just not seeing it. I wonder if coaches and players have had a heart to heart like Justin Longmuir and the Freo boys ? Maybe our boys need something like that.

I can see where a damage limitation policy is justified.  The sad fact is that so many of our players have such poor foot skills that they cannot be trusted to keep possession even with the chip kick.

On numerous occasions they kick too wide of the target, kick the ball too high allowing an interception, or kick the ball just short of the intended player.

Trying to play attractive, attacking football just means the opposition gets the ball given back to them on turnover which just heaps misery on our defence once again.

No wonder player morale is down.  On the rare occasion we kick a goal we usually find that the opposition responds very quickly after cutting up our midfield and defence like a hot knife in butter.

Reply #93
i have said this many times, if there was a stat for a team that kicks straight to the opposition our club will be on top

Reply #94
madbluboy, Kuddler and LP all agreeing wow.

If we get LL agreeing with us i think the universe folds in on itself.

Reply #95
i have said this many times, if there was a stat for a team that kicks straight to the opposition our club will be on top

We find them with consistency and precision.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #97
There is a stats for that, its called a turnover. We are ranked 3 with 832, First are Melb with 867, second are Rich with 842 but they haven't played rnd 12 yet. Strangely, 18th is West Coast with 705.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #98
There is a stats for that, its called a turnover. We are ranked 3 with 832, First are Melb with 867, second are Rich with 842 but they haven't played rnd 12 yet. Strangely, 18th is West Coast with 705.
You gotta get the ball to turn it over.

Reply #99
Turnovers per Disposal
   Team   TO/disposal
1   Tigers   0.212
2   Suns   0.209
3   Lions   0.202
4   Power   0.198
5   Demons   0.196
6   Swans   0.194
7   Kangaroos   0.191
8   Cats   0.191
9   Bulldogs   0.189
10   Eagles   0.188
11   Saints   0.187
12   Giants   0.184
13   Magpies   0.183
14   Blues   0.183
15   Crows   0.181
16   Dockers   0.180
17   Bombers   0.180
18   Hawks   0.176
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #100
At his media conference, Vossy mentioned that we were too safe and that when we took some risks and went through the middle we looked much better.

So... who's in charge of our attitude to games? Who's responsible for us playing too safe?

I watched the game again this morning. Perplexed. Not sure I would say we played safe... more like 'unsure.' And I think unsure comes before 'safe'... safe is more a symptom of something else. Confused? Unsure? Lack of confidence = Unsure? Game plan too complex?

Liked the games of those who did appear to attempt at least to 'take the game on' - H, Kemp, Cincotta, Cerra & even Acres. Thought TDK, Saad, Boyd (kept a pretty tight rein on Pickett), Weiters and Kennedy were good. Cottrell & Owies below par. Crippa was serviceable but sure does seem 'out of sorts.'

But no matter how you look at it - individualistic/fragmented.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #101
At his media conference, Vossy mentioned that we were too safe and that when we took some risks and went through the middle we looked much better.

So... who's in charge of our attitude to games? Who's responsible for us playing too safe?

I watched the game again this morning. Perplexed. Not sure I would say we played safe... more like 'unsure.' And I think unsure comes before 'safe'... safe is more a symptom of something else. Confused? Unsure? Lack of confidence = Unsure? Game plan too complex?

Liked the games of those who did appear to attempt at least to 'take the game on' - H, Kemp, Cincotta, Cerra & even Acres. Thought TDK, Saad, Boyd (kept a pretty tight rein on Pickett), Weiters and Kennedy were good. Cottrell & Owies below par. Crippa was serviceable but sure does seem 'out of sorts.'

Thought Saad has been off the boil and hasnt handled the tagging that well and his numbers are down and its been hurting us badly. That Crows game with Keays employed as a minder seems to have woken other teams up on how to play him and we need to free him up more.
TDk's ruckwork was ok but he didnt do much around the ground and poor Jack had a shocker and looks miserable imho.
Cripps looks like he has a few things on his mind and maybe its time to for him to relinquish the captains role and ease the pressure. Walsh is another who is trying very hard but seems under pressure all the time and his kicking lacks penetration over a distance so he wants to go short all the time.

Reply #102

Dunno about Boyd Baggers, I thought he was terrible. Didn't chase a couple of times, was too loose most of the time,  couple of OOTFs, just VFL player.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #104
Earlier this year I thought this season was becoming 2012 all over again. I now think it is becoming 2014 all over again.