Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 5045 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 18 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #75
This is the hardest challenge not even considering just the midfield. To stay within 3 goals by the final siren is a huge result. I will be happy if we stay close to 2 or 3 goals behind at the end of the game. Might fall 4 or 5 goals short. Either way, we need the experience against a real contender. A side that is a bench mark. If you make the top 8, you come up against sides like Port each week. Surely it must be character building your club needs. To learn from. This is where Voss can use his past experience. Am I wrong?
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #76
This is the hardest challenge not even considering just the midfield. To stay within 3 goals by the final siren is a huge result. I will be happy if we stay close to 2 or 3 goals behind at the end of the game. Might fall 4 or 5 goals short. Either way, we need the experience against a real contender. A side that is a bench mark. If you make the top 8, you come up against sides like Port each week. Surely it must be character building your club needs. To learn from. This is where Voss can use his past experience. Am I wrong?
Agree. I think we can make it hard for them and make it a close game IF we bring the intensity and pressure of the last 3 weeks. Forget who we played, the attitude, effort and selflessness in our last three games is what teams like PA and Coll bring every single week. If we can at a minimum replicate it against these contending teams, Ill be happy. Of course a win would make me ecstatic.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #77
And not forgetting Horne-Francis in the midfield and forward as well. Will definitely be a step up from the opposition of the last 3 weeks.

Reply #78
We have not beaten anyone of substance thus far this season, the three wins recently mean nothing.

Roll Port and we may be taken seriously, lose and we are back where we belong.

This is a winnable game, must pull out all stops.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #79
.............the three wins recently mean nothing.

I disagree. Fremantle and Gold Coast are both 7/9 in the W/L (the same as us except for the draw), and Hawthorn can and did beat the Lions. You don't win those three consecutive games by 10 goals without doing a fair bit right.

You can pivot any victory towards the negative. If we beat Port, then we can say it doesn't mean anything because they were due for a loss. If we beat the Pies, then we can say McRae had a rare bad day in the box etc., we got lucky with the umpires etc.

Whether we play brilliantly or awfully for the rest of the season, those three victories were good.

Reply #80
I disagree. Fremantle and Gold Coast are both 7/9 in the W/L (the same as us except for the draw), and Hawthorn can and did beat the Lions. You don't win those three consecutive games by 10 goals without doing a fair bit right.

You can pivot any victory towards the negative. If we beat Port, then we can say it doesn't mean anything because they were due for a loss. If we beat the Pies, then we can say McRae had a rare bad day in the box etc., we got lucky with the umpires etc.

Whether we play brilliantly or awfully for the rest of the season, those three victories were good.

Agree and disagree. Agree the last three wins were good, very good in fact. Disagree if we were to beat PA and Coll that they could be construed as negative. PA and Coll will play in the GF IMO. If we were to beat them both it would be massive for us and we would definitely gain some respect in the wider football community. Every game from now on is an elimination final for us. Whether we  sneak into the 8 or not, games against teams above us are practice finals so we should be going hell for leather to win them whether it benefits us now or in future (as Doc said on 360) doesn't matter, we will learn something one way or another. On 360 the other night, Doc talked about the work they have been doing around how they want to play, what they stand for and what they want teams who we have played to say about us. It reminded me of a T-Shirt I saw a guy wearing at one of the very few local soccer games I went to years ago. It read "Loved by few, Hated by many, Feared by all". I'd kinda like my club to be known like that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #81
Hated by many, Feared by all". I'd kinda like my club to be known like that.
Might be too late for that.

The last time I saw national survey figures, within Victoria we were the 2nd most supported team narrowly behind the Filth, nationally we were actually 1st on the supporter base.

I suppose it's because the Filth tend to only flea to interstate when they are being pursued by authorities!
( Yes I know it's flee not flea, but for the filth using flea seems so much more appropriate! ) ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #82
Looking like Dixon and Rioli are out as well.

Reply #83
Agree and disagree. Agree the last three wins were good, very good in fact. Disagree if we were to beat PA and Coll that they could be construed as negative...............

I guess what I was getting at is that some will put a negative spin on anything. You only need to read page 1 of this thread to see that some are positioning any possible victory as the Port equivalent of the Keating "recession they had to have."

Reply #84

Me too!

This season is remarkable for the unpredictable results; it seems that any team can get up on match day regardless of the opposition.  Even the cellar dwellers have recorded wins or threatened an upset.

Freo and Gold Coast were above us on the ladder when we played them.  Gold Coast have had some significant wins this season; Geelong, Richmond, Footscray and Adelaide.  Freo has accounted for Sydney, Geelong, Melbourne and Essendon.  Hawthorn beat Brisbane and St Kilda.

Then there's the manner of those wins; we didn't just fall over the line, we handed out decent shellackings.

It's going to be a tough assignment but, if we play the same relentless footy that we've produced over the last three games, we should prevail.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85

Sam Edmund
@Sammy__Edmund
There’s some sore boys at Port Adelaide we hear. Could be as many as five changes. Unconfirmed, but the whisper is Jason Horne-Francis and Charlie Dixon among the absentees against Carlton. Not sure Lycett has come up again either.

Reply #86
When was the last time we won 4 in a row?

Reply #87
Sam Edmund
@Sammy__Edmund
There’s some sore boys at Port Adelaide we hear. Could be as many as five changes. Unconfirmed, but the whisper is Jason Horne-Francis and Charlie Dixon among the absentees against Carlton. Not sure Lycett has come up again either.

Wouldn't be the first time that all the planets are in alignment for a memorable underdog victory, for us to fail miserably. My scars over the years have not healed over yet.

Reply #88

Not sure, but the recent one I remember is R5-R8, 2016.

Reply #89
Last year,  rounds 7 8 9 10
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th