Skip to main content
Topic: Goaltracker 2019 (Read 14292 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Goaltracker 2019

Reply #15
I think you guys, like the 455 coaches at CFC - and the players - are over thinking it.

It's a pretty darn simple game really.

Not as it is being coached, administered and implemented.

You cannot take a simplistic approach to this problem, you have to accept every coach is looking for loopholes and weaknesses.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
I think you guys, like the 455 coaches at CFC - and the players - are over thinking it.

It's a pretty darn simple game really.

There is nothing simple about proffesional sports.

If you are off by 1.1seconds, that can be the difference between winning and losing.

If you run 5 metres to your right, instead of to your left, it results in a score against rather than a score for.

If you kick it behind a player, rather than in front of the same can occur.

Ironically sometimes the opposite to what we expect to occur happens.

The way players move on field isnt an accident.  Its a complex mechanism of 36 individuals all playing on the same oval moving in relation to each other.

The simple part is what happens when you have the footy in your own personal possession.  The difficult part??  The 150 metre run off the ball to drag an opponent out of a teamates space, to create space for one of your teamates to work into, and provide the necessary seperation to transition.  What we really don't see, is how sometimes players work their dots off to create the overlap run, only for us to stuff the kick up forcing us to transition from offense to defense, and then have said player caught completely out of position.  The commentators point to said player not working hard enough to get back, when odds are they are working harder than anyone on the field (i noted Simpson do this twice against richmond from opposite flanks, half back to half forward to get two positions in a minute).

If we turn it over, he is out of defense, at half forward, and having to do 400 metres, in 2 mins to get back into his defensive position.

Simple game my foot.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #17
The key to a great coach (or 455 as the case may be) is to keep the message simple.

I repeat, it's all overthought....

That , or the greater majority of our blokes have a single digit IQ!  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #18
Rules don't affect one's ability to execute BASIC SKILLS.

Let's get the basics sorted before we address the nuances?

Biggest problem in every organisation.
Something along the lines of crawling before you walk.

Reply #19
Are we still doing the Goal tracker?

Reply #20
Are we still doing the Goal tracker?

We are...its completed up to round 4
I'll do this weeks in the next day or two

I suspect (know) we're now ahead of last year for points for and I know for sure our percentage is much better after Round 5

Reply #21
After Round 5

Goals-48  Behinds-51 
Percentage  67.1%   (For- 339, Against- 505)

Goals-49  Behinds -43
Percentage  65.2 % (For- 337, Against- 517)

(Target 2018-Goals 192- Behinds 201- For 1353)

Goals-53 Behinds 50
Percentage 93.4% (For 368 Against 394)

Goalkickers
(Target 2018- Charlie Curnow 34-20 -224)

Casboult 9
Silvagni 6
Wright 6

Curnow 9
Wright 8
Casboult 7
Garlett 5
McKay 4
Fisher- 4

McKay 9
McGovern 8
E Curnow 5
Fisher 4

Ahead of last year’s goal total at the same stage now
Ahead of last year’s percentage to the same period.
Defence is maintaining its strong effort well up on points against last year

Harry leading the goalkicking, but has been a bit inaccurate...9-8-62 for the season
McGovern second with 8-3 -51

Reply #22
On those numbers, we're conceding 4 goals a game less every game, on average.

That's impressive - and puts us in many games (as we have been) that previously we would have been out of....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
If you ignore everything else and just look at the percentage we've made significant progress this season.

Reply #24
If you ignore everything else and just look at the percentage we've made significant progress this season.

As I mentioned in another thread, at the start of the season the percentage can fluctuate dramatically due to the fact you're dealing with small numbers in the for and against columns.

A 50 point win or loss in round 5 will impact your percentage much more than a 50 point win/loss will in round 20.

We jumped more than 10 percentage point off the back of a good win.
It also helps us that most of our games have been low scoring affairs from both sides.

But yep...it's better to have it moving in a positive direction

Reply #25
On those numbers, we're conceding 4 goals a game less every game, on average.

That's impressive - and puts us in many games (as we have been) that previously we would have been out of....

It is the most impressive part of our season so far...
We're 9th best in terms of points scored against us at the moment.
This time last year we were 17th

Reply #26
As I mentioned in another thread, at the start of the season the percentage can fluctuate dramatically due to the fact you're dealing with small numbers in the for and against columns.

A 50 point win or loss in round 5 will impact your percentage much more than a 50 point win/loss will in round 20.

It also helps us that most of our games have been low scoring affairs from both sides.

Of course but last year that game in PA for example would have been a 50+ point loss almost guaranteed. I think 5 rounds is a fair sample size. Nearly a quarter of the season.

So good progress so far and hoping for a 14 point win this week which if my maths is correct would move us above the dawks on the ladder.

Reply #27
That list is deceptive... It's E.  Curnow with the goals in 2019, not C.  Curnow, which changes the distribution dramatically.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #28
That list is deceptive... It's E.  Curnow with the goals in 2019, not C.  Curnow, which changes the distribution dramatically.

Yep
Sorry.
I've had to check myself a couple of times this year to make sure I distinguish between the C and the E rather than just putting down Curnow.
Fixed.

Reply #29

That works both ways though Lods. ;)

Maybe we beat the hawks by 50 this week.  ;D