Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 11: Carlton vs. the Drug Cheats (Read 20826 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 11: Carlton vs. the Drug Cheats

Reply #105
Essendon were missing better players.

Better players is subjective, and besides the point.

Who did we have out there that was capable of taking control of the situation?

Cripps was up to his eyeballs with his tagger and everyone else is fresh out of nappies or lucky to be getting a game.

Zaharakis, Heppel, Hooker, Hurley, Bellchambers, Baguley, Merrett all played 90+ games each, which is more experience than what our lot had.

Reply #106
The guy that beat Cripps has played 2 games.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #107
Dark days indeed guys and probably more ahead of us. We have to back in the club though and ride with whatever the decision is with the coach etc. Let's not turn on each other. I know I find our games excruciating to watch but somehow a little light stays on when I think about some of the great times I've had watching the Blueboys. I can only hope those experiences can come about again - I'm not getting any younger. My only solace is that we do have some good talent on our list - hopefully we can build on that.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #108

Thank you Sandra Sully.

Now back to THE POINT.

Cripps was beaten, he needed help.

Who from the side that was out there has the experience required to stand up and say 'follow me' and cover for him?

Our best bet was a bloke who was famous for having the nickname Humphrey FFS.
Can you see a problem with this picture?
No Simmo.
No Daisy.
No Murphy (opinions aside, he'll at least give the boys a spray and a rev up)
No Jones
No Docherty

No 1031 games of experience available between those 5 players to rally the kids.

Reply #109
Perfect summary. Midfield is just way too young to be able to compete at this level. Simply too many kids without any cover. Won’t win another game unless the balance changes which can’t see how that can happen with the list we have.

Big blunder by SOS in the off season  imo - could've taken Barlow or a Jye Bolton type or even a Tom Bell type to help at the coal face....but chose more scrawny kids who are a mile off the pace....

Perhaps SOS is more the problem rather than the panacea?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #110
Big blunder by SOS in the off season  imo - could've taken Barlow or a Jye Bolton type or even a Tom Bell type to help at the coal face....but chose more scrawny kids who are a mile off the pace....

Who decides the list profile?? Is that purely a SOS decision?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #111
Who decides the list profile?? Is that purely a SOS decision?

Good question.
As I recall our public comment pre draft was that we'd look to add to the middle age bracket. 21- 25 or thereabouts. I think Gibbons was a good choice and fits the profile. Then we draft young Cottrell. The latter being a very young underdeveloped project player. I can't follow I'm afraid.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #112

I think SOS has In general done well accumulating talent, but have to agree that he dropped the ball on the decisions to recruit Cotrell and O’Dwyer. And not choosing a second player at the mid year draft.

Reply #113
One of our problems today, and there were many, is that we had 12 players coming out of the past four drafts and yet it was the more experienced players who let us down. Newman, Fasolo and Lang were disastrous, while Cripps was well held, whereas Heppel, Hurley and Hooker were very good. Players aged 25 to 30 is our major weakness and until we get more good players in that age range we are going to struggle.

Reply #114
The guy that 'beat Cripps' was shepherding him out of the contest and running into him and grabbing him as soon as the ball was bounced. Cripps could have got a free kick from every single centre bounce and did not: the Umpires were not even looking. Their attention was on the contest that Cripps was not allowed to get to.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #115
We lost the game when kreuzer was lining up for goal and thanked it on the full in the second quarter.

Didn't get near scoring for two quarters after this.

Soul destroying stuff.  He was within 30 of goal.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #116
^ disagree, they weren’t up before then at all.

Reply #117
^ disagree, they weren’t up before then at all.

Agree to disagree.

Come the moment come the man.

We've been blaming casboult for this stuff for years, about time Humphrey cost us a game through other ways rather than not breaking down.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #118
Crash,  when is the club going to man up and query the treatment Cripps gets?   FMD,  if it was a tigers it pussies player you'd hear no end of squealing.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #119
Crash,  when is the club going to man up and query the treatment Cripps gets?   FMD,  if it was a tigers it pussies player you'd hear no end of squealing.

I watched the entire game and he was given very close attention after the first quarter. At least 10 or more times he was held by his jumper or arm off the ball. His opponents at times were watching him and not the ball at all. I gave up in the last quarter. Made no difference by then. He should have approached the umpires at half time to ask for a please explain. I am certain as a captain it is not outside the rules to question what is been given too much attention. Tagging is one thing. Holding an opponent off the ball is a holding the man or illegal shepard. Free kick. If I saw at least 10, there must have been more that were outside the view of the cameras. He should have spoke up. I have seen captains do it before. Joel Selwood has.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.