Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 18 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Geelong (Read 5722 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 18 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Geelong

Another night game, another night I won't get to sleep until 0400 in the cold, dark morning. I never seem to be able to get to sleep after night games.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 18 2022 Post Game Postulations Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #1
One thing that has been glossed over.

Cats had a 9-day break.
We had a 6-day break.....and had to come back from Perth.

Given the 5 goal margin...thats about right up against the team that has won 8 in a row and sit atop the ladder.

Reply #2
How good are Geelong at getting a handball out of a tackle ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #3

Cats had a 9-day break.

Given the 5 goal margin...thats about right up against the team that has won 8 in a row and sit atop the ladder.

It was boys vs men. Stronger bodies and more football experience including finals. They hit us hard and knew what to do to intimidate smaller younger guys. Something we will only develop over time. I am glad we lost because in all honesty you learn more from mistakes than from wins. If we finish to play finals will be the big learning experience.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #4
How good are Geelong at getting a handball out of a tackle ?
Yep. They have some strong boys who have mastered the art of standing in the tackle and keeping one or both hands free.

Wallabies lost as well. So depressing.

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #5
Many lessons learnt I'm sure, they are the benchmark and are a very experienced and well coached unit.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
They are in top form if the grand final is played next week they would win it.

We are not too far away imo... all the 50/50 went their way even the bounce - way it goes sometimes.

Reply #7
McKay was exhausted after getting his other team over the line this afternoon.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8

Cats had a 9-day break.

I wish I believed the 6 day break was the reason but reality was we looked below their level from the very start.

They are tough uncompromising do the basics right all the time and are well coached. They may be old but tonight proved there is still a decent gap between us and the very top teams. 

This game was really built up and had a finals like atmosphere and was a great chance to show what we could do come finals and sadly we were found wanting.

Reckon we could go either way after tonight. Lose our confidence and go backwards and even fail to make the 8 or use tonight as a learning curve come finals (which hopefully we make).

Time Will tell.

Reply #9
Geelong are a good side... but they've peaked early ;)

Seriously though, I'd like another crack at them with a few more players back, equal breaks (as Kruddler mentioned), and perhaps more settled weather  conditions.
Harry had a night to forget...dropping marks, but also some of the kicks to him were way off due to the breeze.
Weitering probably needs a couple more games to get back to his pre-injury form

I don't think we really dropped our bundle, we kept fighting to the end, they were just a better side on the night.

Reply #10
Geelong man up well and are very disciplined, we struggled to break free and
find space, strong bodies too as others have mentioned.
Being able to run Blicavs as a ruck rover is a big advantage having his big body in the contests and we struggled to bring him down and he always seemed to be able to dispose of the ball.
Using Cameron up the ground really messed with us too, thought Young wasn't comfortable on him and next time I would be setting up different with McGovern as his opponent.
The kid Holmes was important and gives those old  Cat legs a bit more zip with him in the team.
No disgrace losing to them and we would have learned a bit, they are flag favourites but not by a long way..

Reply #11
We are lucky that the loss was only 5 goals.  Our small forwards went missing, the Geelong backs seemed to mark everything and our forward thrusts brought back memories of so many past seasons - kicking blindly, kicking under pressure to the wrong position resulting in turnovers.

Hayes is a prime example.  On several occasions he showed an ability to kick directly to an unmarked Geelong back resulting in an immediate turnover.

Unless our mids are in complete control our small players are covered too easily.

Reply #12
Not this year but a good run with injuries next year and full preseason under Voss ……………… maybe
But not unhappy with with the way we are going, usually by this time of the year we are getting beaten by 10 to 15 goals by crap teams as players have had enough

Reply #13
Our worst performance of the year by some margin.
Weitering is not in form yet. Each run is better for him, but he isn't reading the ball well in the air at the moment.
Young had a shocker. Lost all confidence in the air and was out-bodied a number of times. Went the punch instead of the mark.
In fact, all of our defenders struggled to take marks they ordinarily would.
H was quiet, but we just didn't kick the ball to him.
Charlie would have kicked 10 had we had any forward system at all.
We were thrashed in the centre square. We managed to get the clearances around the ground, but we were pounded in the middle. Especially with Jack Silvagni there: Geelong were ready for that.

Geelong are very good at pushing the boundaries, especially when tackled. We went unrewarded far too often.
The less I think about the umpiring the better. They may not have cost us the game, but they certainly didn't help.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #14
Love the 'boys vs men' analogies because we could have predicted that when the draw was released!! We are the second youngest list? They are battle hardened, experienced campaigners. Our young group had a taste of 'finals like pressure' in front of a big crowd at the G... ... all part of the 2022 learning experience. In racing terms, we will be better for the run, we will have learnt a bit and we are still in the race for the finals!! Not all is lost!!