Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 108682 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #165
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/feb/22/people-with-extremist-views-less-able-to-do-complex-mental-tasks-research-suggests

So I guess those extremist types think that complex problems can be solved by simple solutions ? Wow.

@PaulP‍  I liked this quote;
Participants who are prone to dogmatism – stuck in their ways and relatively resistant to credible evidence – actually have a problem with processing evidence even at a perceptual level, the authors found.
In the context of Facebook and Twitter this ..................................... the growth of Tik Tok is perhaps an even worse long term indicator!

The internet has constructed the perfect Terrarium for Dogmatism.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #166
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/feb/22/people-with-extremist-views-less-able-to-do-complex-mental-tasks-research-suggests

So I guess those extremist types think that complex problems can be solved by simple solutions ? Wow.

The psychological makeup/profile of extremists (left or right) and conspiracy prone folks makes for fascinating reading. It would be unfair to summarize the detailed info but feelings of loss of control, and generally having a far more active 'fear centre' active in their brains in one central aspect of their psychology.

That doesn't mean, though, that all conspiracies are automatically nonsense, but often they are. Personally, I don't buy into most, but there are some that prick my interest... and I remain, very often, cynical of politicians who peddle 'trust me' or 'she'll be right.' Such a complex subject.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #167
I know this will seem harsh.

But how can you have a Defence Minister, Linda Reynolds, who goes out on sick leave over internal issues?

What on earth would happen if we looked like going to war?

What does that say about how defence and security has been managed in recent times?

On a separate note relating to state politics. The Vic Liberals must be in a world of pain if they think going back to Matthew Guy is a viable alternative to the current muppets.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #168

But how can you have a Defence Minister, Linda Reynolds, who goes out on sick leave over internal issues?

What does that say about how defence and security has been managed in recent times?

On a separate note relating to state politics. The Vic Liberals must be in a world of pain if they think going back to Matthew Guy is a viable alternative to the current muppets.

Never underestimate the health impact of accountability.

Reply #169

Quality of politics in the country across ALL parties and at ALL levels is crap.

Look at that stupid liberal jerk in WA .... wants no coal fired power stations by 2025. 

Reply #170
Quality of politics in the country across ALL parties and at ALL levels is crap.

Look at that stupid liberal jerk in WA .... wants no coal fired power stations by 2025. 

If the polls are correct, the Libs are facing obliteration in the West with the Nats to form the opposition.  I guess Kirkup is clutching at straws to get some swinging voters on board.

I understand that WA is more reliant on fossil fuel for power generation than other states so eliminating coal-fired power generation by 2025 would be a pipedream.  A significant part of their power generation is government-owned too so there wouldn't be the economic pressures that commercial power generators are facing.  That said, WA probably has greater scope for renewable power than most places, particularly if tidal power generation is utilised.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #171

Its a disgrace, you can't take any of them seriously at any level (state or fed). The behaviour of the opposition parties in this country during covid has been an utterly disgusting. It will be a very very long time before I vote for any of the major parties.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #172
That said, WA probably has greater scope for renewable power than most places, particularly if tidal power generation is utilised.
If they go down that track you want to vote them out immediately.

Progress on those tidal and wave technologies has slowed greatly, there seem to be significant issues around reliability and the ongoing costs. The problem is stuff grows on surfaces left in the sea, algae, barnacles, seas grass, life....................... There are some technologies being developed by CSIRO to assist with those issues, but they haven't been trialled yet, a lot is left up to foreign adopters of the technology. Another case of evented here, sold over there, then purchased back for our use off foreign owners!

On the surface it looks to me like the feasibility of some of the projects had been greatly exaggerated, especially in WA where there has been a huge historical investment, which is understandable given the geography. I think the problem is when they do the sums the energy available to harvest is huge, effectively governed by the gravity from the combined mass of the Earth, Sun and Moon, but the practical methods to harvest it just do not exist. A 20m x 20m x 10m pontoon held submerged in sea water present 4000m² of collecting surface, to which about 4 tonnes of life growth each and every month, which sounds a lot but it's just 1kg/m²/mnth of living matter. The added weight destroys the efficiency of the system, so you have to continually clean everything.

Of the renewables solar is far and away the most feasible, but it is not as clean or low cost as people expect and base load remains an issue but solar thermal could be the cure for that problem but it also has issues. I wouldn't want to live next to one of the bigger solar plants, it must be like living next door to an asphalt carpark that's 2km wide, imagine the hot breeze!

But we should leave this debate to energy thread.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #173
But we should leave this debate to energy thread.

Yes we should, but be aware that the Federal Government is funding research into tidal energy, mainly done by the CSIRO, and there is an Australian designed and built tidal turbine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvHuumY8G40&feature=youtu.be
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #174
Its a disgrace, you can't take any of them seriously at any level (state or fed). The behaviour of the opposition parties in this country during covid has been an utterly disgusting. It will be a very very long time before I vote for any of the major parties.

You should definitely vote for the Greens. The improvements in your life should be noticeable immediately. Food tastes better, the air seems fresher, and you'll having more energy and spring in your step than you ever thought possible. It worked for me.  :)

Reply #175
You should definitely vote for the Greens. The improvements in your life should be noticeable immediately. Food tastes better, the air seems fresher, and you'll having more energy and spring in your step than you ever thought possible. It worked for me.  :)

Got a genuine, good natured chuckle here, Pauly.

The next 50-75 years, politically, will be fascinating as more and more people drift from the dreadful lackings (new word!!!) of the major parties... globally. They trot out, generally speaking, the same old strategies, tactics and glibness that ruled for so long - and became out-dated a decade or two ago. It is becoming more and more difficult to hide in an internet world. Viva la revolution  ;D

Reply #176
Pauly I partake in activities which don't align with Green policy. I support most of what they stand for, their approach and attitude appals me to the point that I wouldn't feed them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #177
Pauly I partake in activities which don't align with Green policy. I support most of what they stand for, their approach and attitude appals me to the point that I wouldn't feed them.
Well that escalated quickly.  :o

Reply #178

I suspect there may have been a little tongue in cheek with Pauly's comment. However, in terms of values and principles I find myself, to some extent, aligned with the Greens but they do have an image and communication problem which has them seeming a little too extreme.

I certainly do a few things not aligned with my perception of hard line Greens... at present I have a magnificent scotch fillet marinading for lunch tomorrow! So I am very much an omnivore... I have no issue ripping out a tree that could pose a public risk in high winds or is crushing water pipes and so on. But the principle of looking to more organic (I grow loads of my own veggies, from organic seeds etc) foods I applaud, along with power options aligned with minimum environmental impact...

Reply #179
Well that escalated quickly.  :o
How so?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th