Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2018 (Read 14061 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Open 2018

Reply #30
Agree Paul, he's better than that.

Yes, the way he's comported himself throughout his career has been very good IMO. Like all of us, clearly he will have lapses of judgment from time to time, and this was certainly one of those. If he keeps having those types of whinge sessions, then clearly the end is nigh. A sure sign that he can no longer keep up.

Reply #31
Yes, the way he's comported himself throughout his career has been very good IMO. Like all of us, clearly he will have lapses of judgment from time to time, and this was certainly one of those. If he keeps having those types of whinge sessions, then clearly the end is nigh. A sure sign that he can no longer keep up.
After last years loss to the Fedexpress, he looked so determined to make amends this year and win the thing. Clearly frustrated by not achieving this, he lashed out at the presser. As you say, the way he has comported himself throughout his career, he has points in the bank and so I wont put him the DH (aka Tomic) category just yet.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #32
Only a rogue seagull causing injury to the Fed will stop him getting #20 now.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #33
After last years loss to the Fedexpress, he looked so determined to make amends this year and win the thing. Clearly frustrated by not achieving this, he lashed out at the presser. As you say, the way he has comported himself throughout his career, he has points in the bank and so I wont put him the DH (aka Tomic) category just yet.

Two young ladies playing now, Halep and Kerber, showing more grit, guts and determination in one match than Tomic, and to a lesser extent Kyrgios, have shown in an entire career.

Great tennis from both ladies - shame that one has to lose. 

Reply #34
Kerber can hold her head high.

Reply #35
Only a rogue seagull causing injury to the Fed will stop him getting #20 now.....

Berdych is hopeless. You can always rely on him to give that stinky, mouldy block of Swiss cheese an armchair ride to the final.

Blah.

Reply #36
Berdych is hopeless. You can always rely on him to give that stinky, mouldy block of Swiss cheese an armchair ride to the final.

Blah.
Not a Fedex fan?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
Not a Fedex fan?

In the last couple of years, I've started to like him more. Prior to that, I was never a fan.

I over exaggerate in my posts. I wouldn't take them too seriously. He's a beautiful player to watch, and whilst born with prodigious talent, he's been sufficiently disciplined, smart, and dedicated to make the most of it. Well done to him.

But I prefer Rafa.

Reply #39
http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/27/marat-safin-explains-why-rafael-nadal-is-far-more-impressive-than-roger-federer-7110944/

It is ironic that Safin, a player with as much natural talent as a Federer thinks that 'work horse' (btw I don't agree with that analogy of Nadal) is more impressive.
That would sort of be like saying Michael Chang is more impressive than Stefan Edberg. Not a great comparison because Edberg is one of the greats of tennis, but Chang never really had the natural talent of any of other slam winners I can think of from that error, but made a number of slam finals and got to #2 in the world.

To me Federer is absolutely incredible, I love watching him play. I have MASSIVE respect and admiration for Nadal also, who is one of the greatest ever. The two have been so great that it is conceivable that either one might just have won 25+ slams without the other there as there only real competition.

Federer is the is the greatest tennis player I have seen (imo) and is right up there with Tiger Woods & Michael Jordan when it comes to those players that people will talk about in 50 or 100 years time.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #40
MIO, not sure that Safin had as much natural talent as Fed. He certainly had his fair share. But his temper and discipline were his biggest enemies, more than injuries IMO.

I understand the point he's making though, re comparing the two players.

Reply #41
MIO, not sure that Safin had as much natural talent as Fed. He certainly had his fair share. But his temper and discipline were his biggest enemies, more than injuries IMO.

I understand the point he's making though, re comparing the two players.

Oh I think it was 100% his temperament that cost him.
He was exceptionally talented imo, but he had nowhere near the drive and dedicated to become a great of the game
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #42
He doesn't say Nadal is better mind you.

The fact Federer went 4-0 against Nadal in 2017, at age 36 says it all to me.

I still think Federer cost himself a good few slams (which largely went Nadal's way) by steadfastly refusing to change to a bigger racquet head sooner.

He was playing with the equivalent of a wooden racquet for years. i think it was only 2012 when he finally moved to the bigger head.

So for the best part of a decade, Nadal had been using 100sqi versus Fed's 90sqi.

More control with the smaller bat granted (arguably), but a major reduction in power.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
Oh I think it was 100% his temperament that cost him.
He was exceptionally talented imo, but he had nowhere near the drive and dedicated to become a great of the game

Right with you brother.

Reply #44
All sports are littered with talented types who don't cut it due to an unwillingness to do the (hard) yards....

Will be interesting to see whether Kyrgios ever really changes....
Finals, then 4 in a row!