Skip to main content
Topic: Soccer fans' behaviour (Read 65712 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Soccer fans' behaviour

Reply #15
I heard a Melbourne Victory fan complaining on radio about the way that the club was treating its members.  It was trying to move them away from some area that they controlled.  This guy said that the fans are the ones that provide the atmosphere at their games.  He said that they came up with chants and signs that were directed at the opposition.  He suggested that this was only playful and in good fun.  But you wouldn't have to be Albert Einstein to figure out that this sort of behaviour can easily degenerate into aggression.  No doubt there are witty people who can make opposing fans laugh, but they're a rare breed. Much more common is the sort of subtle and imaginative types that came up with "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ... Oi, Oi, Oi!".  At least that's a chant that focusses on one's own players, but it's easy to see sledging degenerating into mindless and crude insults.  No doubt there are many youngsters who take their lead from overseas clubs whose supporters show their support by going to war with opposing fans.  Not likely that such "supporters" would bother too much with subtlety or humour.

At least in the AFL we've largely quarantined such behaviour.  Cheer Squads are restricted in their seating allocations and they are scrutinised by their club administrations.  Eddie even forced the Pies' cheer squad to reapply for membership of the cheer squad.  There may also be some interstate venues, particularly in SA, where home fans give visiting fans and players a not-so-warm welcome.  But everywhere else fans from opposing teams can sit together peacefully enough without being subjected to a barrage of sledging. 

Reply #16
I heard a Melbourne Victory fan complaining on radio about the way that the club was treating its members.  It was trying to move them away from some area that they controlled.  This guy said that the fans are the ones that provide the atmosphere at their games.  He said that they came up with chants and signs that were directed at the opposition.  He suggested that this was only playful and in good fun.  But you wouldn't have to be Albert Einstein to figure out that this sort of behaviour can easily degenerate into aggression.  No doubt there are witty people who can make opposing fans laugh, but they're a rare breed. Much more common is the sort of subtle and imaginative types that came up with "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie ... Oi, Oi, Oi!".  At least that's a chant that focusses on one's own players, but it's easy to see sledging degenerating into mindless and crude insults.  No doubt there are many youngsters who take their lead from overseas clubs whose supporters show their support by going to war with opposing fans.  Not likely that such "supporters" would bother too much with subtlety or humour.

Well Mav, if you want to hear some funny chants and songs, you should stand near me and my mates at the footy. We sing our pissed lungs out a lot of the time. Most of them we come up with on the spot to the tune of certain songs which makes it all the more fresh/funnier....though a couple we borrow. We've been warned about fowl language a few times though.  ;D

Reply #17
By the way - why don't we have a proper grog squad? From memory the Tiges have one, and the Bombers and Hawks. I want one.  ;D

Reply #18
@Gozza

Fowl language can shock some people!

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
I no understand.  ;D

Reply #20
I no understand.  ;D

fowl 

1. Any of various birds of the order Galliformes, especially the common, widely domesticated chicken (Gallus gallus).

2.a. A bird, such as the duck, goose, turkey, or pheasant, that is used as food or hunted as game.
b. The flesh of such birds used as food.

3. A bird of any kind.

foul

1. Offensive to the senses; revolting.

2. Of a vulgar or obscene nature: foul language. :D

Reply #21
Ok so a fowl is a bird.  ;D

So sheilas wouldn't get offended by my language? Just kidding.  ;D

Reply #22
By the way - why don't we have a proper grog squad? From memory the Tiges have one, and the Bombers and Hawks. I want one.  ;D

There used to be one at ground level beneath the Northern (Hawthorn) Stand at Optus Oval back in the day.

Reply #23
There's a simple one word explanation for it IMO - "tribalism" - with all due respect one of our illustrious mods.

Spot on C2. These soccer jokers are cowards that like to create havoc in the relative safety of numbers. When confronted as individuals they would run away.

Reply #24
There's a simple one word explanation for it IMO - "tribalism" - with all due respect one of our illustrious mods.

Spot on C2. These soccer jokers are cowards that like to create havoc in the relative safety of numbers. When confronted as individuals they would run away.

You know, whenever I'd get approached by an oppo fan, I'd meet him out front, mono E mono. Same as if I'd be at the pub. 

This mob/gang mentality is just BS.

Reply #25
My theory is that people use soccer and tennis as an excuse to take out their tribal and economic frustrations.

Though, if my theory was correct, you would think that the north and south of the USA would brawl it up too....

Reply #26
My theory is that people use soccer and tennis as an excuse to take out their tribal and economic frustrations.

Though, if my theory was correct, you would think that the north and south of the USA would brawl it up too....

I agree with the first part. Hurling chairs, slurring YULEHHSS, and so on. Get farked. Just enjoy the damn game. Otherwise fark off.

Reply #27
Simpsons have long been critical of Soccer

[flash=300,200]http://www.youtube.com/v/IbRXQ-A6-O8[/flash]

this one from about 40 in:

[flash=300,200]http://www.youtube.com/v/qw72HDU8yRg[/flash]

Favourite quotes are:

This match will once and for all determine which nation is the greatest on earth: Mexico or Portugal
Oi! your boy is a flopper he is
Last year in Brazil, an onfield scuffle turned so violent, locals say a statue of the Virgin Mary came alive and beat the holy snot out of everyone.

Reply #28
The irony is people calling soccer boring yet being followers of test cricket.

The game isnt all about scoring.  Anyone too focussed on goals is not appreciating the tactical arm wrestle that occurs when the game is played adeptly.

The issue with Australian soccer is more to do with quality and smarts than it does anything else.  My wife looks at the proffesional soccer players and cannot differentiate between us amateur part timers which is either a massive compliment to us(unlikely) or speaks for how bad your average top flight players are (bingo).

There is much absolute rubbish being touted as fact in this topic.  Fans dont get frustrated from a lack of scoring leading to violence.  Ive seen plenty of borin high scoring soccer and Afl games, likewise i have seen plenty of close contests from both codes with the similar level of apprehension about the result.

Violence follows violent people.  It doesnt have anything to do with a sporting code nor does it have anything to do with a match itself.  Just sometimes people are f-wits.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson