Skip to main content
Topic: Soccer fans' behaviour (Read 65711 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Soccer fans' behaviour

Reply #30
There's a statement from Victory in today's Age condemning "hooliganism" from "alleged fans".
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
The irony is people calling soccer boring yet being followers of test cricket.

The game isnt all about scoring.  Anyone too focussed on goals is not appreciating the tactical arm wrestle that occurs when the game is played adeptly.

The issue with Australian soccer is more to do with quality and smarts than it does anything else.  My wife looks at the proffesional soccer players and cannot differentiate between us amateur part timers which is either a massive compliment to us(unlikely) or speaks for how bad your average top flight players are (bingo).

There is much absolute rubbish being touted as fact in this topic.  Fans dont get frustrated from a lack of scoring leading to violence.  Ive seen plenty of borin high scoring soccer and Afl games, likewise i have seen plenty of close contests from both codes with the similar level of apprehension about the result.

Violence follows violent people.  It doesnt have anything to do with a sporting code nor does it have anything to do with a match itself.  Just sometimes people are f-wits.

I don't think it has much to do with whether the game is boring or not, even though soccer prima donnas bore me. I think there is an ethnic element in these soccer mobs. If you look closely at these idiots they are mainly of middle Eastern and Southern European background. These 'people' as part of ethnic minorities tend to gang-up as a means of empowering themselves. Before you call me  racist, I am of Southern European heritage, so I should know.

Reply #32
I don't think it has much to do with whether the game is boring or not, even though soccer prima donnas bore me. I think there is an ethnic element in these soccer mobs. If you look closely at these idiots they are mainly of middle Eastern and Southern European background. These 'people' as part of ethnic minorities tend to gang-up as a means of empowering themselves. Before you call me  racist, I am of Southern European heritage, so I should know.

You're probably right Jofo.
I find soccer boring but I imagine it's anything but to people who grew up with and love the game.
As many people will remember, all of the Melbourne soccer clubs had an ethnic affiliation back in the 1960s and 70s and crowd violence was the norm.  However, I think it was more about settling old scores than empowerment.  Now that Melbourne has two teams in a so-called national competition, I imagine that ethnic affiliations aren't important and your empowering theory is more relevant.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #33

Gee I am not so sure on the minority issue, do you really believe Middle Eastern or Southern Europeans are a minority in Australia!!!

I suspect that is just how they want to be viewed as an excuse for bad behavior. The ethnic minority argument for Europeans or Southern European of any flavor is just a bogus argument in my opinion!

Bullies always claim to be the victim when they are caught out bullying!

But I do agree about the ethnicity racism issue, I hear that the riots last week have been related to a get even for the bashing of two Victory fans in Sydney last year.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
You're probably right Jofo.
I find soccer boring but I imagine it's anything but to people who grew up with and love the game.
As many people will remember, all of the Melbourne soccer clubs had an ethnic affiliation back in the 1960s and 70s and crowd violence was the norm.  However, I think it was more about settling old scores than empowerment.  Now that Melbourne has two teams in a so-called national competition, I imagine that ethnic affiliations aren't important and your empowering theory is more relevant.

Back then it was different because the clubs were grew out of, were funded and closely affiliated with ethnic specific venues in various suburbs.

Heart and Victory have no such affiliation although certain lobby groups try to make it out that is the case!

I see myself as an Australian first and foremost, what really hurts me is to see people most of whom are probably 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation Australian's associate themselves with another country and culture first ahead of their country!

FWIW, my grandmother was Italian although her family heritage was mostly Spanish. (Catalonia) I don't believe I am part of a minority because I am Australian!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
I see myself as an Australian first and foremost, what really hurts me is to see people most of whom are probably 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation Australian's associate themselves with another country and culture first ahead of their country!

I struggle to understand why people do that LP, particularly those who 'return home' to fight in civil wars or ethnic conflicts.  ::)

Reply #36
If I was a copper, I'd grab a handful of the main culprits, take each one individually into a locked room, and beat the living fark out of each of them. Problem is in this country, we have too many wet lettuce leaf punishments so people seem to do as they please.

Reply #37
If I was a copper, I'd grab a handful of the main culprits, take each one individually into a locked room, and beat the living fark ou
t of each of them. Problem is in this country, we have too many wet lettuce leaf punishments so people seem to do as they please.

Agreed.

Reply #38
If I was a copper, I'd grab a handful of the main culprits, take each one individually into a locked room, and beat the living fark out of each of them. Problem is in this country, we have too many wet lettuce leaf punishments so people seem to do as they please.

Gozz, when I was a young bloke that's exactly what you might get for what was known as "delinquency" if you got caught - a good spanking from the cops - none of these woozy magistrates!  C:-)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
Soccer fans are pseudo-terrorists !!

Why do they need to march enmasse in front of a large flag with their face covered screaming antagonistic slogans etc ??

And how many of them are Anglo-Australians too ??

Yep, none of them !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #40
Seriously folks
The answer to Soccer hooliganism is not to beat up the hooligans. ::) :D

Reply #42
Seriously folks

Bloody good dose of their own medicine!!

.....Would just send them out to seek a weaker target to take their frustration out on.
Those that throw the first punch are either bullies or gutless wonders.
Whether they do so in a position of authority or not.

Reply #43
Seriously folks

Bloody good dose of their own medicine!!

.....Would just send them out to seek a weaker target to take their frustration out on.
Those that throw the first punch are either bullies or gutless wonders.
Whether they do so in a position of authority or not.

What do you suggest be done then?

Reply #44
Ban them.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the English Premier League seem to have a lot less problems than they did 20 -30 years ago with this trouble. They've taken a hard line at club level. Deprived trouble makers of the opportunity to attend matches.

Does anyone seriously believe we'd ever have a system where violent offenders are subjected to violence in order to curb their violent  behaviour....1014 maybe not 2014.