Skip to main content
Topic: Soccer fans' behaviour (Read 65949 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Soccer fans' behaviour

Reply #150
Soccer has only 1 thing going for it - history. And so many historic dudes promote it. Losers.

In present time; more relevant times, it (Soccer) fails to deliver excitement, innovation, frequent success (scores) and civilized supporters. >:D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #151
Soccer has only 1 thing going for it - history. And so many historic dudes promote it. Losers.

In present time; more relevant times, it (Soccer) fails to deliver excitement, innovation, frequent success (scores) and civilized supporters. >:D

Absolute BS. The World Cup has clearly taken over the Olympics as the biggest most viewed world wide event. You want to talk about history talk about the future. Soccer is still growing all across the world, it's not called 'The World Game' for nothing.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #152
Yep, time to go fishing. ;)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #154
it's not called 'The World Game' for nothing.
Of course there's a reason - fans of the game have wanted to elevate it to special status.  But is that what it's called, or is it "The Beautiful Game"?  And if so, what's the reason for that?  I would have thought Lingerie Football would have qualified for that name if we were looking at the name being more than puffery. 

It's like saying that there's a reason that Rugby Union is the game played in Heaven.  I guess the reason must be that it's the game that's played in Heaven.  It must really p1ss off soccer fans when they get up there and realise they should have gone for a name that covered the afterlife rather than one that was so earthbound. 

I have to say, though, that I wouldn't mind at all if everyone called soccer World Football.  That would put an end to the ridiculous attempt by socceristas to own the word "football" (even though they're happy to continue using Socceroos, and FIFA continues to contain "Association Football" in its name).  Adding a word or words would be an improvement, even if the one betrays more than a hint of megalomania. 

Reply #155
They don't proclaim to own the name at all or if they do, I haven't heard it. No difference between that and AFL calling it's code football, they're all played by kicking a ball and in some cases handballing or heading it. No big deal either way I've never heard of any soccer fans bemoaning the use if the term football in AFL.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #156
But because the administrators of soccer insist that their game should be called "football" and nothing else, the consequence is that the media are left with little choice but to differentiate other codes by adding qualifiers.  You even hear it in conversations between soccer and Aussie Rules fans.  In the middle of a debate I had with a soccer fan about the merits of the 2 sports, he asked me why I didn't like football.  I told him I love it, and have been following the Blues for ages.  He then asked me if I am a Chelsea fan! 

In debating, politics or the courts, this is called framing the debate.  If you can persuade people to pick up weasel words you put out there, you can often win the battle without needing to fight it.  I heard an anecdote from an American lawyer who described a personal injury trial in which the parents of a boy who was badly injured in a pool sued for compensation.  The pool was built with a step that went right around the pool under the level of the water.  The step was quite wide, and the boy hit it when he jumped in.  The trial should have been a slam dunk as blind Freddy could see the problem with that.  But the defendant's lawyer started calling it a "Safety Ledge" during the trial.  Before too long, even the Plaintiff's lawyer and the judge were doing likewise.  Eventually, the jury sided with the defendants.  How could the defendants be blamed for building a safety feature? 

Reply #157
AFAIC "football" is a generic term which needs qualification to describe each of its forms, so IMO no particular code exclusively owns that term. Any code that tries to claim that it is the one and only true "football" is delusional.

"Soccer" is in fact a shortened version of "Association Football" which is what it was called 30 - 40 years or more ago. It's a good name and they should stick to it.  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #158
AFAIC "football" is a generic term which needs qualification to describe each of its forms, so IMO no particular code exclusively owns that term. Any code that tries to claim that it is the one and only true "football" is delusional.

"Soccer" is in fact a shortened version of "Association Football" which is what it was called 30 - 40 years or more ago. It's a good name and they should stick to it.  ;)

Nup. Australian Rules IS football. No other code in the world worthy of having the name. 

Reply #159

Nup. Australian Rules IS football. No other code in the world worthy of having the name.

Why is "handball" such a feature of the game then Gozz?  ;)

Reply #160
Is Aussie Rules the only code of football in which you can only score a goal (or a maximum point result) with a kick of a the footy?  In Soccer, any part of the body other than the arms or hands can do the honours and headers are common; in both Rugby codes, you can't kick a try, and the same goes for a touchdown in American Football; in Gaelic Football, you can bundle the ball under the cross bar using any part of the body, IIRC.  Am I missing any?

Reply #161
"Kicking" in AFL though Mav means use of the leg below the knee does it not? So you can "shin" a goal - whether that's use of the foot is debatable I would think = more "attempted use of the foot".

Reply #162
Don't think that matters, Cookie.  Can you imagine a defendant saying, "I didn't kick him, your Honour - I got him with my shin and not my foot!"

Reply #163
But we were talking about kicking goals Mav, not assaulting people and being brought before the beak!  :))

Reply #164
Is riotous mob behavior all this sport of soccer has to offer, if so it should be banned!

Flares, fighting, drunken louts, fake injuries, racial discrimination, poor excuses, spoiled brats and boring matches.

I don't need to listen to the words of defense from the sports executive, or it's fans. Actions speak louder than words, and the actions of A-League fans marching "En Masse" is appalling! Worse than the Colliwobble march to "The G" which itself is pathetic, discriminatory and divisive!

That I allege is a summary of the A-League!
The Force Awakens!