Skip to main content
Topic: Famous cousins - well, almost famous. (Read 1875 times) previous topic - next topic

Famous cousins - well, almost famous.

I have been researching our family history for a while and it's always good to find documentary evidence that confirms oral history.

I remember being introduced to "cousin" Wally, the Fitzroy footballer.  Wally, or "Nugget" Clark was my second cousin and he played for Fitzroy from 1955-1962 (he was a lot older than me).  In 1963 he was appointed captain-coach of Fitzroy seconds and he famously coached the firsts to a win over Geelong when Kevin Murray was absent for a state game.  Wally won the Gardiner medal in 1963.

I was a lot closer to another second cousin, Jimmy Gutterson, as our families spent Christmas holidays together.  Jimmy played for Footscray in 1961-1962 and won the Gardiner Medal in 1962.  Jimmy became the playing coach of Turvey Park, taking the job after Carlton convinced John Nicholls not to take it.

Jimmy and Wally weren't related but I find it interesting that I have cousins who won the Gardiner Medal in consecutive seasons.

Another second cousin, Daryl Gutterson, played one game for Carlton in 1971.

It's not quite as impressive as Crash's great great great uncle Angelo Azzopardi, but it's still a link to footy history  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Famous cousins - well, almost famous.

Reply #1
I have been researching our family history for a while and it's always good to find documentary evidence that confirms oral history.

I remember being introduced to "cousin" Wally, the Fitzroy footballer.  Wally, or "Nugget" Clark was my second cousin and he played for Fitzroy from 1955-1962 (he was a lot older than me).  In 1963 he was appointed captain-coach of Fitzroy seconds and he famously coached the firsts to a win over Geelong when Kevin Murray was absent for a state game.  Wally won the Gardiner medal in 1963.

I was a lot closer to another second cousin, Jimmy Gutterson, as our families spent Christmas holidays together.  Jimmy played for Footscray in 1961-1962 and won the Gardiner Medal in 1962.  Jimmy became the playing coach of Turvey Park, taking the job after Carlton convinced John Nicholls not to take it.

Jimmy and Wally weren't related but I find it interesting that I have cousins who won the Gardiner Medal in consecutive seasons.

Another second cousin, Daryl Gutterson, played one game for Carlton in 1971.

It's not quite as impressive as Crash's great great great uncle Angelo Azzopardi, but it's still a link to footy history  :)
Impressive! I can remember Daryl Gutterson - does that show my age? Hey, I was 10! :)

I used to work with a couple of guys who played for Carlton U19s: impressed them no end that I had seen them going around in our colours with 16 year old Brett Ratten.
I wonder if I had a life back in those days.....

According to my mother, one of her more distant relatives went around with Carlton in the 1940's, but I haven't been able to identify who that was yet. Not any of that cohort still around.
Live Long and Prosper!