Skip to main content
Topic: The Ashes - Second Test @ Lords  (Read 29203 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Ashes - Second Test @ Lords

Reply #60
The selectors have a lot to answer for, not just on a Test by Test basis, but the actual make up of this touring squad, its a complete disaster, embarrassment and bordering on a national disgrace.

I agree.

How many years have they had to plan this?

mickey Mouse operation.

We are paying for the sins of the past. Changes that are being implemented will take time to filter through.

Hate to say it but it's all about generation next and trying to build a team to 'stabilise' Australian cricket until then.

On a positive note:
Ryan Harris has been great. I think Jackson Bird will come in for the next test and they will give Pattinson a spell.

Negative note:
Ashton Agar got another 98 (this time bowling) and Shane Watson has been worked out by England. Harsh to say it but Watson will be picked off now until he fixes the problem and you cannot fix those type of issues out the middle (ask Phil Hughes). Interesting to note those who don't like Ed Cowan he has similar figures to Watson although Watson bowls which is the saving grace.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Agar left out for the next test (Smith to offer the spin option) and maybe play Faulkner as a left arm accurate option who can bat. If they go that way the seamers would be Harris, Siddle, Bird and Faulkner with spin from Smith. Australia also get another batting option.

Whichever way they go they have to strengthen the batting. I noted that our combined total for this test match was 363 which only slightly bettered England's first innings total of 361. That's how far behind we are in reality and all that after Trott and Pieterson had quite games.

I think Agar might be dropped in favour of Lyon and Faulkner may come in for Pattinson who is struggling on the docile wickets......Bird is probably the better bowler but Faulkners ability with the bat given we are struggling to make runs might get him a debut test.

Be helpful if we could win the toss and bat first.....Smith and Lyon on the last day might be a handy pairing..

Reply #61
The pitches are disgusting.  Spinning decks in England????  You can bet that if we had a half decent spinner they'd have the sprinklers on... and they'd still beat us inside 4 days at just about any venue, although we would at least have a fighting chance.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #62
The pitches are disgusting.  Spinning decks in England????  You can bet that if we had a half decent spinner they'd have the sprinklers on... and they'd still beat us inside 4 days at just about any venue, although we would at least have a fighting chance.

you can't blame the pitches for 70% of our shot selections.....  :'( :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #63

you can't blame the pitches for 70% of our shot selections.....  :'( :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Exactly. 100% that's the issue. Windy wafts outside off stump have nothing to do with the pitch. Missing lollypoper full tosses have nothing to do with the pitch. Refusal to tailor your game to suit the conditions or fix technical problems (hello Watson) have nothing to do with the pitch.

Why is it when Swann bowled he aimed straight at that rough and when we bowled we did not?

I do agree the English have definitely used the opportunity presented by the weather to produce pitches very conducive to spin but after a tour to India you would think our batsmen might have learned something about how to play it!

Reply #64
The ongoing failure to learn by our so-called "professional" cricketers has lead to the catastrophic destruction of at least 3 remotes in my household.

Leopards do not change their spots.... pity that saying is so apt. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #65
Leopards do not change their spots.... pity that saying is so apt.

Perhaps we are seeing too many spots, probably why we cannot hit the big red one!  :))
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66

Perhaps we are seeing too many spots, probably why we cannot hit the big red one!  :))

We are seeing plenty of spots alright and then sometimes none - unfortunately most of them in the DRS and it doesn't end well for us.