Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game (Read 67493 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 1 Carlton vs Richmond - Pre-Game

Reply #90

Ahh, it's a good thing you guys showed up. I was worried the Fun Police funding cuts were starting to have a deleterious effect.

The trouble is retrospectively some peoples fun might become tomorrow's fake news, ask Donald!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #91
Here is a question for you: how many new recruits will line up for us in Round #1?
Docherty and Gibbs are certain outs from our team last year. We also blooded a number of kids. Armfield played at the end of the season: he is also a certain non starter. That leaves 3 spots before we think about anything as crass as form.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #92
Here is a question for you: how many new recruits will line up for us in Round #1?
Docherty and Gibbs are certain outs from our team last year. We also blooded a number of kids. Armfield played at the end of the season: he is also a certain non starter. That leaves 3 spots before we think about anything as crass as form.
Kennedy Dow Lang are my guesses
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #93

Kennedy, Lang and O'Shea(take Dochertys role).....I'm 40/60 on Dow  and 30/70 on J. Garlett, said it before but I think we will play a more experienced lineup initially.....
Edit:..I'd also have Mullet at 50/50 but would need a real good JLT series and preseason, I'd have OShea ahead of him given the ex Port player seems to already have a bit of profile at the club and his team-mates seem happy having him onboard, bit more mature and probably gives us a bit more mongrel.
I think Mullets best chance is if we have a couple of injuries to our running players....

Reply #94

Kennedy, Lang, Garlett I reckon.

O'Shea and Dow and Shaw 50-50 chances.

Fitness will have a say in it. Lobbe could be a chance if we are short of big men.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #95
Preseason will have a big influence but the only likely draftee imo would be Dow. Kennedy and Lang are strong bets together with Mullet or O'Shea in for Doc.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #96
Richmond are on the small side, and it becomes a legitimate question as to whether we try to match them for speed, energy and pressure, or whether we try to play taller and and stretch them aerially, via a longer kicking / marking game. I haven't seen Bolts try the latter much at all, so I'd be guessing more of the former.

I would agree with EB for now. More experience to begin with, then kids later. O'Shea Lang and Kennedy for sure IMHO. Garlett and Lobbe maybe.

Reply #97
I think Kennedy, Lang, and Mullet might get a gig. If there's injuries, Garlett and O'Shea will come in. I don't see the kids getting a run R1. I think Dow' s surgery might have impacted his PS load. If that's the case, he'll get a very measured debut plan.

Wouldn't be surprised to see big H out there either. His mere presence would put a few off ;)

Go New Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #98
I think Kennedy, Lang, and Mullet might get a gig. If there's injuries, Garlett and O'Shea will come in. I don't see the kids getting a run R1. I think Dow' s surgery might have impacted his PS load. If that's the case, he'll get a very measured debut plan.

Wouldn't be surprised to see big H out there either. His mere presence would put a few off ;)

Go New Blues

I would think McKay is very likely to be playing and playing a big role next year

Reply #99
Kennedy, Lang, Garlett I reckon.

O'Shea and Dow and Shaw 50-50 chances.

Fitness will have a say in it. Lobbe could be a chance if we are short of big men.
The JLT games may well be a key. I reckon that Dow, of the draftees is good chance. of the guys traded Kennedy will play if he is 100%, Lang and Lobbe will have to wait for the team structure to be right.
Then again, I may be completely wrong.

I do think McKay will play if he is 100% fit. At 204 cm he will be a handful. (I have just made certain that McKay won't play and that his form will be substandard by bringing him up.)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #100

You can go the other way and say we will get Curnow, Cripps and whoever else back from injury too.

It's simply too early to tell and we recruited a lot of mature age players to the club. The likes of Kennedy, Lang, Garlett, Mullett, Shaw, Lobbe and O'Shea would all be AFL ready in terms of body size/shape....but are they good enough to get a game?

Alternatively, some of the new draftees, Dow, O'Brien etc are probably good enough, but do they have the body size/shape to play?

What you'd be best doing is trying to rule players out of the team and see whats left.
Schumacher, De Koning, Polson...

Reply #101
I would think McKay is very likely to be playing and playing a big role next year

Sure JH, but weren't we discussing prospects for new recruits?

Reply #103
Sure JH, but weren't we discussing prospects for new recruits?

According to the heading we are discussing the round 1 game v Richmond.  ;)
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #104
According to the heading we are discussing the round 1 game v Richmond.  ;)

Apologies guys, you are right. I had got caught up in Crash's sub question re new recruits. Harry will indeed be a big chance for R1.  :)