Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 29729 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 8: Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #135
They review every goal but it if its inconclusive, it stays with the goal umpires call. I suspect that the footage didnt 100% show a finger getting to it.

Watch it again....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #136
Ambulance Chasers Barrett, Cornes and Lloyd are having a decent crack us on the Sunday Footy show. Browny backing us in. Cant wait to wipe the smug looks off these kents faces >:(.

The competition is fierce, but Cornes would have to be the pits as far as AFL media is concerned.

One of the very real risks in having a deep bottoming out / rebuild is that the "forgetting how to win" prolongs the amnesia and means it takes longer to get that winning feeling back. On the other hand, maybe forgetting how to win is yet another brainless footy cliche, and we lost simply because the opposition has greater depth, greater experience, better composure, and better at getting the momentum back and getting the game back on their terms.

Reply #137
The competition is fierce, but Cornes would have to be the pits as far as AFL media is concerned.

One of the very real risks in having a deep bottoming out / rebuild is that the "forgetting how to win" prolongs the amnesia and means it takes longer to get that winning feeling back. On the other hand, maybe forgetting how to win is yet another brainless footy cliche, and we lost simply because the opposition has greater depth, greater experience, better composure, and better at getting the momentum back and getting the game back on their terms.

Saw their little piece.
The problem is that the only way to shut them up is to win a close game or two.
Most of us take it with a grain of salt...but for some it does impact.
We obviously haven't forgotten how to win, we won a few weeks ago....but it's a few of those close games we need to nail.

Reply #138
Saw their little piece.
The problem is that the only way to shut them up is to win a close game or two.
Most of us take it with a grain of salt...but for some it does impact.
We obviously haven't forgotten how to win, we won a few weeks ago....but it's a few of those close games we need to nail.

Yes, no doubt. I have seen folks in the media saying we are now like the 2018 Lions - very competitive, but just can't nail those close ones. It will come.

Reply #139
Couldn't agree more. Big picture perspective. In fact his entire media conference was classy and real. Good gear.

Agree...he dropped the cliches and spoke from the heart a bit more and you could tell he is disappointed for the fans.

Reply #140
Agree...he dropped the cliches and spoke from the heart a bit more and you could tell he is disappointed for the fans.
And I think all the pressers have been premeditated in that the same consistent message was being delivered during the first three years. Now that can be criticised all it likes, but the strategy was sound in my opinion. Say the same thing over and over, stay united in that message, give away little w.r.t strategy and stay the course. Compared to the disjointed messages from the past out of our club, this has been refreshing, for me at least. Now we are starting to see some emotion come out of the coach. When you are so close, the losses really hurt. From the President, to the boot studder and to the rank and file supporter. Everyones resolve and determination must be upped now, the wins will only be sweeter. Its interesting actually, those in the media backing us were all Carlton supporters as kids who played for other clubs. Nafe Brown, Dunstall, Mooney to name a few. Cornes? He is just a kent who I have sero time for.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #141
I really get the "lets not talk about the positives now as we have just lost" thing. Its a bit like being a supporter, I wanted to smash the TV yesterday, today I see a different perspective that is less emotional. Let me be clear, I DO NOT ACCEPT LOSSES AND I DO NOT MAKE EXCUSES. WE MUST RECOGNISE AND RECTIFY THE REASONS FOR THE LOSSES PRONTO!!
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #142
I really get the "lets not talk about the positives now as we have just lost" thing. Its a bit like being a supporter, I wanted to smash the TV yesterday, today I see a different perspective that is less emotional. Let me be clear, I DO NOT ACCEPT LOSSES AND I DO NOT MAKE EXCUSES. WE MUST RECOGNISE AND RECTIFY THE REASONS FOR THE LOSSES PRONTO!!

x2...his reasoning why we lost was sound and given the disappointment it was one of his best presser's, Cornes and crew need fodder to chew on for the audience and when you are on the bottom
you are the fodder...beat the Saints and Bombers in two weeks time and he will have moved on to another club and be singing our praises.
Bit more shocked with Lloyd who has his brother at the club and has been a bit more circumspect with his criticism this season and of course shares a desk with Chris Judd on FC.
Never liked Lloyd and am no fan of his brother at the club either to be honest...

Reply #143

I think both your scenarios are right/valid.

Losing can become ingrained and habitual and difficult to break - especially after years and being virtually accepted by the club for so long/part of the process of the rebuild. You said it well, IMHO. But it can be done, and once broken can only be eradicated by a succession of wins... close and comfortable.

Your second scenario had me thinking of observations from the commentators... that they always felt Rottingwood had 'another gear' and when the chips were down they found that gear and we folded under that increase in pressure from our opponents.

The coaching staff will have their work cut out for them this week. Dealing with the hurt of a close loss to a credible opponent, especially after bringing your best would be deflating but from that hurt can come a mongrel resolve... hopefully we find that against GWS. For a young group to find the 'fed up' button will be a challenge, all they need to know is that, collectively, they actually have what it takes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #144
...........................................Bit more shocked with Lloyd who has his brother at the club and has been a bit more circumspect with his criticism this season and of course shares a desk with Chris Judd on FC.
Never liked Lloyd and am no fan of his brother at the club either to be honest...

Yes, I'm not sure what the deal is with Brad Lloyd - it's tempting to think he's a gormless yes man, simply there to do as he's told, and not interfere with SOS and co. Maybe that's incorrect and harsh.

Also, the possibility that he can share info about us with his brother creeps me out. More than a little paranoia on my part.

Reply #145
I can't bag anyone after the effort they ALL gave yesterday.

Sure a few blunders here and there but the Pies are pretty much the best team around presently.

And Plowman (twice) and weitering were robbed in the dying minutes.....

Pies' supporters at the ground knew they stole one yesterday.

If the lads bring that intensity every week, we'll make t he 8!  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #146
Yes, I'm not sure what the deal is with Brad Lloyd - it's tempting to think he's a gormless yes man, simply there to do as he's told, and not interfere with SOS and co. Maybe that's incorrect and harsh.

Also, the possibility that he can share info about us with his brother creeps me out. More than a little paranoia on my part.

I'll join your paranoia with the idea that Brad Lloyd probably wouldnt mind seeing Ross Lyon in a Carlton polo at some stage.
Matthew Lloyd would love to see us in turmoil and having a Lloyd at Carlton is like having the KGB living at the White House IMO..

Reply #147
I'll join your paranoia with the idea that Brad Lloyd probably wouldnt mind seeing Ross Lyon in a Carlton polo at some stage.
Matthew Lloyd would love to see us in turmoil and having a Lloyd at Carlton is like having the KGB living at the White House IMO..

Ha. Yes, at least the press conferences will be brief.

Reply #148
hmmm.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #149
Kane Cornes....found that life outside the football world is hard, bloody hard.   You can't use connections to attain qualifications, then you  fight for job positions and then work.  I would have thought that after experiencing life in the real world,  albeit briefly, he might have more consideration for the "little people". Instead he's just another talking head with an opinion.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?