Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 2678 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #60
I think Cornes changed his tune when he appointed Voss.  He must have had dealings with him at Port Adelaide.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #61
I went, and TBH we were lucky.  But at the same time, we missed a bunch of gettable goals - Cripps, McKay (Q2), Cottrell, Acres (Q3) all missed very gettable shots that would have given us a decent lead in a tight game.

The team certainly looked like they we in a bit of holiday mode at the start, but slowly worked up to a harder edge.

We need to defend short chains down the wing better - I lost count of the number of times Freo had a free run with short passes and snappy handball while we were back-pedalling.....

But gee, it's funny how 2 minutes of football can change a futile 1600km drive into a 'great weekend'.

And FWIW, Gather Round is pretty special - Adelaide was sure buzzing.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #62
I think Cornes changed his tune when he appointed Voss.  He must have had dealings with him at Port Adelaide.
Hmm, I think Cornes knows who butters his bread and he'll go where the money is, regardless of whether that is right, wrong, controversial or downright immoral.

Carlton playing and winning always delivers one thing the haters can never deny, $$$$$.

On a more serious note, I suspect what fans are experiencing is really the magic of the Cook! I was watching a show the other day that had a character called "Master Chief", it immediately made me think of labelling Brian Cook the "Master Cook"!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63
It's disappointing that our hard fought win has become obscured by a segment of the media's focus on one umpiring decision.  It's also disappointing that Andrew Dillon was naive enough to add fuel to the fire by his unqualified acceptance that there was an umpiring error.  He should have made it clear that field umpires make decisions in real time and don't have access to slo-mo replays and touched ball calls go either way in virtually every game.  After all, the Freo players were claiming that the ball came off Aish's head rather than his shoulder.

Cripps was robbed of shot at goal when an out on the full free wasn't paid after Hughes toe-poked the ball in our forward pocket.  Then there's Kemp copping a friendly fire kick in the face and not being sent off under the blood rule until after the Sonny Walters' free.  As famous NBL referee Eddie Crouch said to me when I was fouled for a perfect shot block on Bruce Doull, "Swings and roundabouts!" So many decisions can go either way in a game of footy that it's pointless to focus on one incident.

It was an interesting game with Freo being a lot cleaner with their ball use and uncontested footy.  While we seemed a little off, our defensive work was very good and we were able to shut them down and force kicks to contests.  Freo did much the same to us. 

While we were well down in the clearances, we often got the first touch but couldn't capitalise on it.  When we did win the clearance, we made the most of it.  Freo didn't get great value from their clearance work.  Jackson has been the standout ruck in the opening rounds with exceptional Champion Data rankings and 18 AFLCA votes but Tom De Koning's all round game was too good for Jackson.  An interesting stat; Jackson gained 27m, De Koning gained 325m.

Freo's tall forwards were a constant threat but Weitering's dominance and generalship gave our defenders an edge.  McGovern was under a lot more pressure than usual and had a relatively quiet game.  The other defenders all had very good games.  Williams in particular is improving with each game and he'll be missed next week.

Harry was out of sorts and I thought the heavy knock he copped early in the game may have caused some damage.  We missed his dominance in the air but Charley helped to make up for it.

Probably the determining factor was our game awareness.  Freo's players were caught out by our surge and didn't respond until it was too late.  Our blokes knew exactly what was required when it counted and they got the job done.

PS  My shot block on Bruce Doull was in a geriatric competition long after we both should have given the game away :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
Some pundits rate the Freo defence as the league's best I understand. If that is right then we did pretty well!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #65
I went, and TBH we were lucky.  But at the same time, we missed a bunch of gettable goals - Cripps, McKay (Q2), Cottrell, Acres (Q3) all missed very gettable shots that would have given us a decent lead in a tight game.

The team certainly looked like they we in a bit of holiday mode at the start, but slowly worked up to a harder edge.

We need to defend short chains down the wing better - I lost count of the number of times Freo had a free run with short passes and snappy handball while we were back-pedalling.....

But gee, it's funny how 2 minutes of football can change a futile 1600km drive into a 'great weekend'.

And FWIW, Gather Round is pretty special - Adelaide was sure buzzing.
We may have been lucky but we were in a position to be in it until the end, that's not luck. Who's to say that if the ball was called touched that we didn't score a goal from the stoppage. Who's to say Freo wouldn't have given away a free at the stoppage and Chirpy Clarke wouldn't have robbed off just the same. Everyone can whinge about it all they like, reality is we are 4 zip and I am confident we can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66
Some pundits rate the Freo defence as the league's best I understand. If that is right then we did pretty well!
Our defence isn't to shabby either and if not for all those frees 20m directly in front, we would have pumped them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #67
TDK is again overrated imo, I gave him a vote for breaking even with Jackson in the ruck contests but in all the other stats apart from metres gained he was behind Jackson and the disposals TDK got went at around 37% disposal efficiency, Jackson wasnt much better at 57%. For me it was a nil all draw with those two and I thought Freo shaded us in the midfield where Brayshaw was the best player on the ground and Serong very effective as well.
Thought our backline won us the game led by Weitering and Kemp plus Freo's tall forwards were a non factor and well beaten all game. Freo's defense is helped by their game plan and its Ross Lyon like both in operation and the lack of scoring which just leads to a grinding predictable low scoring slugfest. While Longmuir is coaching I cant see Freo ever being a serious finals contender...

Reply #68
If I hear that we were 'lucky' again, I'll tear off my own ears! If you want to talk 'lucky', how about Freo getting 66% of their goals from frees... some there, some not. The end.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #69
Had to go out with 15 mins to go. Checked scores, Freo were ~10 points up with 3 mins to go, so I wrote it off. Pleasantly surprised with the result!

Touched - so what, must happen a bit when getting it out of packs as others have said.

Nothing controversial from my perspective after watching it back. I thought we could have been a few goals in front by the end of the second, but it was a tough day at the office.

Reply #70
The big thing out of this victory - is our boys stayed engaged in the contest.
Even the final moments of the match where Crippa called TDK out of the ruck contest that threw Jackson into a tangent and made a big error. What a move by Crippa.

Reply #71
TDK is again overrated imo, I gave him a vote for breaking even with Jackson in the ruck contests but in all the other stats apart from metres gained he was behind Jackson and the disposals TDK got went at around 37% disposal efficiency, Jackson wasnt much better at 57%. For me it was a nil all draw with those two and I thought Freo shaded us in the midfield where Brayshaw was the best player on the ground and Serong very effective as well.
Thought our backline won us the game led by Weitering and Kemp plus Freo's tall forwards were a non factor and well beaten all game. Freo's defense is helped by their game plan and its Ross Lyon like both in operation and the lack of scoring which just leads to a grinding predictable low scoring slugfest. While Longmuir is coaching I cant see Freo ever being a serious finals contender...

Not quite correct EB; De Koning was ahead in tackles (5-1), inside 50s (5-1), rebound 50s (2-1), contested marks (2-1) and centre clearances (2-0).  That reflects Tom's value around the ground and not just his superior ruckwork this season (averaging 29 hitouts compared to high teens in the last few seasons).  As for disposals, most of Jackson's were backwards, hence his 27m, and not under pressure.  The same goes for most of his teammates who rarely kick to contests and thrive on uncontested footy.  In that context, it's interesting that Brayshaw and Serong wasted so many of their possessions.  In part, that was down to us allowing uncontested passes down the line, then erecting a wall across halfback (or half forward).

It's too early in the season for me to make a call on Freo.  They've got talent and a system that should make them competitive against most teams but they need to find away to score more freely and know when to go defensive.  It will be informative to see how they go against the other top eight teams.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #72
I thought TDK was probably our best player.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #73
I thought TDK was probably our best player.
I thought Tom started the game timidly and when Jackson took that towering grab I thought he's going to have one of the those days. To Tom's credit, I think he turned the tide not long after that mark and at times really grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck (to use old fashioned football parlance). Not the complete "big dog" game but very good indeed and definitely was one of the key players who made sure we stayed in the game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #74
Jackson was the inform ruckman heading into our clash, he was Brad Johnson's rolling AA ruckman last week.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!