Skip to main content
Topic: 3 blues make the AA team! + other awards (Read 1820 times) previous topic - next topic

3 blues make the AA team! + other awards

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-03-22/four-blues-in-allaustralian-squad
Brianna Davey, Kerryn Harrington, Gab Pound and Madison Prespakis were all named by the AFL last night as being in the squad of 40.

The team of 21 players, including a captain and vice-captain, will be announced at the W awards on Tuesday 2 April.

Well done to the girls.

I'm especially pleased that Gab Pound made the squad as i think her contributions are largely overlooked. She has been solid since game 1, season 1. Her game has gone up a notch this year, but still goes unrecognised most weeks. Not sure she'll make the team, but good luck to her and all the girls.

Re: Four Blues in All-Australian squad

Reply #1
Indeed. Recognition for the good form the ladies have been in.
Live Long and Prosper!

3 blues make the AA team! + other awards

Reply #2
Congrats to...
Kerryn Harrington
Gab Pound
Maddie Prespakis on making the team.

Of the 4 girls picked in the squad, who would've thought that only Bri Davey would miss out.

In any event, so glad that our 'lesser likes' get the kudos they deserve.

Of the other awards Bri Davey got best captain.....albeit i reckon on a slight technicality. Adelaide had dual captains, who polled 2nd and 3rd as best captain. Not sure of the voting procedure for that.

Maddie Prespakis won the rising star and best first year player

Taylah Harris won mark of the year for her (Johno Brown/Wayne Carey-esque) grab against the Lions.

All in all a good year for all our girls.

Re: 3 blues make the AA team! + other awards

Reply #3
Congratulations to our three All Australians but Brianna Davey was robbed  >:(

She had an outstanding season as a classic swingperson (that doesn’t sound right) and I don’t think there is another player in the competition who could play forward, back and midfield.  Perhaps not playing in a specific position is why she missed out.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Congratulations to our three All Australians but Brianna Davey was robbed  >:(

She had an outstanding season as a classic swingperson (that doesn’t sound right) and I don’t think there is another player in the competition who could play forward, back and midfield.  Perhaps not playing in a specific position is why she missed out.

It's interesting, while I appreciate Bri's season I thought she was yet to regain her prior form.

I appreciate Harf often had her in a new role, but I thought despite getting lots of football she just wasn't that effective in 2019, almost like she was wasted. Assuming she stays with Carlton I'd like to see her return to the HB in 2020, and to have a bunch of players like the Hoskings, Harrington, Gee and Walker feed off her, I don't give a stuff if we win games 30 to 20 as long as we win! There is something to be said about forcing opposition turnovers off the HBF which makes them run Yo-Yo for 4 qrts.

imho, Bri was hands down by some significant margin the AFLW's best playing off HB.

As a club, men and women, we keep doing this, we keep taking players who have it all and turning them into a standardised version of average. I'm sure if Ablett Jnr came to Carlton he'd end up in the back pocket because he is reliable there without being exceptional!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
It's interesting, while I appreciate Bri's season I thought she was yet to regain her prior form.

I appreciate Harf often had her in a new role, but I thought despite getting lots of football she just wasn't that effective in 2019, almost like she was wasted. Assuming she stays with Carlton I'd like to see her return to the HB in 2020, and to have a bunch of players like the Hoskings, Harrington, Gee and Walker feed off her, I don't give a stuff if we win games 30 to 20 as long as we win! There is something to be said about forcing opposition turnovers off the HBF which makes them run Yo-Yo for 4 qrts.

imho, Bri was hands down by some significant margin the AFLW's best playing off HB.

As a club, men and women, we keep doing this, we keep taking players who have it all and turning them into a standardised version of average. I'm sure if Ablett Jnr came to Carlton he'd end up in the back pocket because he is reliable there without being exceptional!

Why was Bri Davey played outside of HB for large parts of the year is a legitimate question.

To look for the answer, look at who made the AA team. Harrington and Pound. Both of them playing, and dominating, in the backline all year. Also having the competent, and former B+F winner, Stevens back there also facilitated this.

So answering the above question.....because we could.

Reply #6
I think Bri played her best footy between the arcs.

She provided a target for balls coming out of defensive 50, intercepted balls coming out of our forward 50, confounded opponents with her strength and ability to shake and/or evade tackles, and invariably used the ball to our advantage.

I suspect that Bri’s role and her impact was just a little too subtle for the folk who chose the AA team.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball