Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546887 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #585
With BM dropped how many times (and 1 no ball wicket)?

Aus fielding isnt what it used be and no ball wickets seem a feature of test cricket these days.....Bracewell got dudded the last test with a reverse no ball wicket..

Reply #586
Aus fielding isnt what it used be and no ball wickets seem a feature of test cricket these days.....Bracewell got dudded the last test with a reverse no ball wicket..

It was a ripper catch off the no-ball!

You'd think the bowlers would work just a little harder on getting their run ups right, particularly with the punishment dished out by reprieved batsmen.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #587
It was a ripper catch off the no-ball!

You'd think the bowlers would work just a little harder on getting their run ups right, particularly with the punishment dished out be reprieved batsmen.
That is a huge point. We are not at the point where we can give opposing batsmen reprieves. Maybe in time, but not yet.
Our batting: I wish Warner could get to the point where his form lasts a whole summer. he usually starts with a bang and than struggles near the end. At the moment we need a real innings from him.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #588
Lads doing it nicely now.
Lyon a tidy score as night watchman too (no doubt more than Marsh can muster with the bat too I suspect).

Reply #589
Even if Voges gets out first ball after lunch, he'll average a lazy 94.14 after 20 innings (the normal benchmark fort inclusion in most lists) - second only to the Don.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #590
There's an interesting discussion about concussion after Smith's KO.  I would be surprised if cricket doesn't move into line with other sports when it comes to head injuries.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #591
Australia win and take the number 1 mantle for test cricket back.
I am often very cautious about us proclaiming to be the # 1 side but I honestly believe this group plus 3 or 4 others are the best in the world.

When you consider the improvement in the batting, in particular Khawaja at number 3, it is a very ominous line up. If Mitch Marsh can soften his hands they will be a great top 6.
Our bowling has very good skill and variety. Add Starc and Cummins to that group and they are world class.

Lyon will end up with 400+ wickets.

Reply #592
AC 'the new Don' Voges now averaging 95.50.

8) 8) 8)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #593
I am often very cautious about us proclaiming to be the # 1 side but I honestly believe this group plus 3 or 4 others are the best in the world.

When you consider the improvement in the batting, in particular Khawaja at number 3, it is a very ominous line up. If Mitch Marsh can soften his hands they will be a great top 6.
Our bowling has very good skill and variety. Add Starc and Cummins to that group and they are world class.

I'd agree, i think we are the best team in the world and its because we have the best domestic comp and have more depth...take out its impossible for anyone to beat India on their home soil and
England doctor up their wickets the same to suit their bowlers and overall I think we perform better than most away and at home...

I'd have England at No 2 and India at No 3......Tha saffies are usually top 2 but have dropped away with Smith, Kallis retiring and Steyn being out injured all the time and I think they are in  a rebuild phase
that is hampered by the quota system....

Reply #594

Probably the no.1 side. Not many sides can win away, meaning there's no dominate side, which you are alluding to, but we have in SA and NZ, plus, remembering individual Test wins counts rather than a series, we only lost 3-2 in England while pumping them 5-0 previously. That's probably got us no.1.

Up until the Australian series New Zealand hadn't been beaten for quite a long time. Drawn series in England (1-1) and surprisingly a drawn series in the UAE against the Pakis (1-1) on real spinning tracks. So beating them 4-0 home and away is a good win.

Reply #595

I like Jackson Bird taking a few scalps too, just starting to add that depth to the Fast bowling ranks that has been promised for a couple of years now but has rarely been delivered.  Patto looked good as well..Hazelwood is world class, his control with both the new ball & reverse was exceptional, how he didn't end up with a 5-for in that 2nd innings is beyond me....and probably what led to his frustration & overreaction.

Anyway, get Starc back fit & (in my dreams) a fit & firing Cummings & you've finally got a squad of 5-6 quicks that could all step up (I'm not sure about Nathan C-N yet).  Ideal attack for long term thinking (Ashes 2017) would be Starc, Pattinson & Hazelwood....with Marsh & Lyon. 

cheers

Mal.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #596
I'd agree, i think we are the best team in the world and its because we have the best domestic comp and have more depth...take out its impossible for anyone to beat India on their home soil and
England doctor up their wickets the same to suit their bowlers

I'll be very interested to see if England are quite as interested in doctoring up green tops for their next home series, when Anderson will be gone & Broad will be on his last legs......and we'll have Hazelwood, Starc, Pattinson etc to choose from, all in their prime !
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #597
It seems the T20 World Cup will be newspapers only in Australia, the local networks have all baulked at paying the huge fees demanded by India's Star Sports channel.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #598
It seems the T20 World Cup will be newspapers only in Australia, the local networks have all baulked at paying the huge fees demanded by India's Star Sports channel.

I'll be searching on the Android box International TV channels....

Reply #599

Good decision by the local networks. Crap comp that gets ridiculous attention during the Australian summer but is not the type of Cricket that anyone who actually loves the game would hold in any level of esteem.
IN WADA WE TRUST