Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547000 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #705
Mennie..... Another WTF entry in the Rod Marsh selection roll of horror.

Yep. doesnt do much with the ball and isnt overly quick either....need to get DeKock out early tomorrow or I can see him slaying our attack for plenty...

Reply #706
Warner's ok.  He would play the same shot to the same ball in the same situation and hit a 4. We wouldn't complain about that.   The flat decks are for one day and 20/20 cricket.  Most shield games get a result and there aren't many getting 100's amd 50's consistently.   We just don't have the talent and or application.

Reply #707
Warner's ok.  He would play the same shot to the same ball in the same situation and hit a 4. We wouldn't complain about that.   The flat decks are for one day and 20/20 cricket.  Most shield games get a result and there aren't many getting 100's amd 50's consistently.   We just don't have the talent and or application.

Seems a little contradictory!

I think we would complain, because he makes 200 in one innings and feck all in the next 3 or 4, so we win one test in grand style then lose the series!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #708
102 innings, 16 100s and 22 50s suggests that's not right.  There is a lot of talk about who isn't performing, but not much about who is beating the door down to come into the team.

Reply #709
102 innings, 16 100s and 22 50s suggests that's not right.  There is a lot of talk about who isn't performing, but not much about who is beating the door down to come into the team.

Yeah we know his averages, but 20 run innings off 9 balls face and out seems to be a common thread in the other 62% of innings. Great for 20/20 not so good for test cricket!

I recall the Nov media about in the build up to this summer, the main thread was time for Warner and Smith to step up! It's not an opinion built on stats!

I'd contend their careers so far are mostly like a 30 or 40 possession game from Tutt, in the stats and in the votes but mostly worthless!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #710
Warner's failures seem worse because he and Smith are the only blokes in the team who can hold a bat. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #711
LP, you obviously don't like Warner.
Who would you put in his place?
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #712
Warner's failures seem worse because he and Smith are the only blokes in the team who can hold a bat.

They can hold a bat there is no doubt about that, when they are on they a spectacular, but even then it is often cross bat! ;)

Slogging isn't good cricket, unconventional is OK in small doses and a team can carry one or two, but we now have a large portion of our batting list that plays like Rodney Marsh played! I'd rather some Boof Leahman type batsmen, more traditional guys who can grind an innings out and not worry about scoring at a strike rate of 150, hopefully some with a straight bat!

What's the problem with Warner, Smith and others like them, after all they score heaps of runs? The main problem is they don't turn the strike over, they absorb heaps of deliveries punctuated by spectacular boundaries and leave their batting partner stranded at the other end starved for strike for extended periods, then if the boundaries do not come they often run themselves or their partner out!

Turning over the strike is key to keeping the bowlers off balance, it's the tactic that works in any conditions not just on flat track batting strips!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #713
LP, you obviously don't like Warner.
Who would you put in his place?

It's not that I don't like Warner, but we seem to be obsessed with picking blokes who on their day belt the pill out of the park. But that is almost irrelevant for test cricket. Proponents of Warner and Smith will argue they score so quickly they take the games away from the opponent in a session or a day, yet our recent record suggests otherwise despite both of them having periods of heavy run scoring. That is because tests go for five days, and no matter how many runs you score quickly if you leave the opponent time and overs they will generally get  the better of you!

For traditional followers of cricket, no matter how many runs players like Smith and Warner make, it stabs at your heart because they often throw away their wicket and that has an effect on the team! We need blokes who will occupy the crease, I'd be looking at younger types who don't throw their wicket away like Handscomb, Harris and Dean.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #714
It's not that I don't like Warner, but we seem to be obsessed with picking blokes who on their day belt the pill out of the park. But that is almost irrelevant for test cricket. Proponents of Warner and Smith will argue they score so quickly they take the games away from the opponent in a session or a day, yet our recent record suggests otherwise despite both of them having periods of heavy run scoring. That is because tests go for five days, and no matter how many runs you score quickly if you leave the opponent time and overs they will generally get  the better of you!

For traditional followers of cricket, no matter how many runs players like Smith and Warner make, it stabs at your heart because they often throw away their wicket and that has an effect on the team! We need blokes who will occupy the crease, I'd be looking at younger types who don't throw their wicket away like Handscomb, Harris and Dean.

The think is Warner and Smith average 50ish, 56 in Smith's case. They get them often when needed too. You need blokes who can score quickly, like Gilchrist, and others who like to occupy the crease. It balances a line up out. We do need more of the latter though. Funnily enough it's where Gillespie was valuable with the bat at no 9. He averaged facing 80 balls an innings, averaging about 19. Those 80 balls though allowed the likes of Gilchrist to tear an attack apart while Gillespie held up an end. Like to see that in more established batsmen so the like of Warner can attack with support with the fear of a collapse.

Reply #715
The think is Warner and Smith average 50ish, 56 in Smith's case. They get them often when needed too. You need blokes who can score quickly, like Gilchrist, and others who like to occupy the crease. It balances a line up out. We do need more of the latter though. Funnily enough it's where Gillespie was valuable with the bat at no 9. He averaged facing 80 balls an innings, averaging about 19. Those 80 balls though allowed the likes of Gilchrist to tear an attack apart while Gillespie held up an end. Like to see that in more established batsmen so the like of Warner can attack with support with the fear of a collapse.

Are they real numbers Jim ? Or did you pull them out of your arse ? ????
80 balls faced is very impressive if true...

You're right though, it's all good when your seeing it like a footy and watching it fly to the boundary, but on anything that's not a drop in the odds start looking flakey at best.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #716

I agree LAJ, that is exactly what I was getting at when I said too many of one type!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #717
I don't think you can seriously suggest that Smith and Warner are the problem.

We do have a problem of course... but there would be 8 other players in the team who will go before those two. Plus the coach.

There is a fair bit riding on our 2nd innings!

Reply #718
I don't think you can seriously suggest that Smith and Warner are the problem.

How do get the rest of the team to knuckle down and grind it out when you have the two potential captains regularly playing cross bat and getting out. Don't tell me it's all been fixed by Smith's last innings, or if Warner makes 100 next innings, leaders have to lead every time they head out on the field, they are the standards bearers!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #719
So what's our 'next best' team look like? Changes need to be made ASAP surely!!

Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Patterson
Handscomb
Wade (wk)
Stoinis
Agar
Faulkner
Starc
Bird

Dunno, we've got to get some new blokes in for sure. Who they are the what the make-up of the team looks like, is anyone's guess!