Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 547493 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #780
How bad must Nathan Lyon be feeling at the moment.

He's been made a scapegoat for some shizen captaincy and batting at test level. He's moved states to play under the bloke that currently white-ants him favoring his new team-mate. He has 200 test wickets but gets bowled behind his potential replacement. In the current match Dean and Handscomb have torn him a new one!

What's that about the grass always being greener? :o

He must be thinking to himself, next time take the blue pill!

In the first innings against Victoria he took 0/137 from 38 overs. Think he might be in trouble.

Reply #781
Smith's captaincy may be shizen but Lyon's bowling is shizen, and that's why he will be dropped.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #782
A caller to SEN asked whether a fieldsman can change positions after the bowler starts his run up.  A NSW slips fielder moved to leg slip as the bowler was approaching.  The batsman, White, swept and the ball passed the fieldsman for four runs.

Chuck Berry immediately said that it would have been Smith as he has tried it several times before.  Surely the Aussie captain should play according to the rules.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #783
Renshaw to open with Warner I reckon.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #784
A caller to SEN asked whether a fieldsman can change positions after the bowler starts his run up.  A NSW slips fielder moved to leg slip as the bowler was approaching.  The batsman, White, swept and the ball passed the fieldsman for four runs.

Chuck Berry immediately said that it would have been Smith as he has tried it several times before.  Surely the Aussie captain should play according to the rules.

Actually someone took a catch that way in a Test match and the ICC said it was legal afterwards. Going off memory.

Reply #785
Actually someone took a catch that way in a Test match and the ICC said it was legal afterwards. Going off memory.

Really it's outside of the intent of the rules, it was brought in to deal with batsmen who change their stance during the deliver stride.

Steven Smith's catch to dismiss Fawad Alam in 2014 was an example of legal anticipation

The MCC has confirmed an update to the Laws that allows a fielder to make a "significant movement" before the striker has played the ball. The ICC, in consultation with the MCC, had already introduced a playing condition to this effect last year, which came to light after Steven Smith took a catch to remove Fawad Alam* in an ODI in Abu Dhabi.

Previously, under Laws 41.7 and 41.8, Smith's movement would have resulted in a dead ball, with "significant movement ... before the ball reaches the striker" deemed as "unfair".

They have now been replaced by a single Law .417, governing movement by fielders other than the wicketkeeper. The change is designed to promote "intelligent fielding" and allows a player to move if it becomes obvious a batsman will play the ball in a certain direction.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #786
Really it's outside of the intent of the rules, it was brought in to deal with batsmen who change their stance during the deliver stride.

I'm glad my memory still functions reasonably at least at my age. C.R.A.F.T. disease hasn't quite kicked in yet..lol.

Reply #787
i note the much hyped NSW line up was humbled vs the Vics today....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #788
i note the much hyped NSW line up was humbled vs the Vics today....

Smith puts Lyon in to be night watchmen, what a fecking joke of a Test Captain!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #789
What's your beef with Smith?  Who else can do the job?  He is doing what he can with the little he has.... strewth, Steve Waugh or AB would struggle to get the current mob to perform.  In Lyon's case you can't pull your socks up if you ain't wearing any.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #790
What's your beef with Smith?  Who else can do the job?  He is doing what he can with the little he has.... strewth, Steve Waugh or AB would struggle to get the current mob to perform.  In Lyon's case you can't pull your socks up if you ain't wearing any.

Leaders have got to lead, especially when things are getting tough.

Smith's willingness to use a night-watchman makes me think he's looking for a way out of the kitchen, things are getting too hot for him!

Even if Lyon put his hand up to be a night-watchman, Smith should have said no and took on the responsibility!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #791
I'm not convinced about Smith as captain.  He seems to do OK when the team is well placed but struggles when the team is up against it.

I don't think Cricket Australia considered options when they anointed Smith for the role.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #792
I'd make Warner captain....not everyones cup of tea is Davey boy but he has some mongrel in him which good Aussie captains have....
Smith is a nice bloke...but he is still maturing IMO and reminds of when Kim Hughes got the job...

Reply #793
I'd make Warner captain....not everyones cup of tea is Davey boy but he has some mongrel in him which good Aussie captains have....
Smith is a nice bloke...but he is still maturing IMO and reminds of when Kim Hughes got the job...

While it's not alot of evidence the side lifted 2 to 3 notches during the one day series in Sri Lanka when Smith was sent home to rest and Warner become captain. We actually went on to win the series 4-1. The only thing we've won since February.

Reply #794
The selectors have made a start by dropping Joe Burns, Adam Voges, Peter Nevill, Joe Mennie and Callum Ferguson.

Matthew Renshaw (Queensland), Peter Handscomb (Victoria), Nic Maddinson (New South Wales) and Chadd Sayers (South Australia) get their first chance and Matthew Wade and Jackson Bird have been recalled to the 12 man squad.

I would have included Cam White and Travis Dean but I think there's a limit on the number of Victorians you can have in the squad.