Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 548032 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #135
Our batting really is average, at best. Clarke is about the only legitimate test batsman. Everyone else seems brittle.

If Johnson has an average match we might be in strife... on a good batting wicket, as Adelaide just about always is.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #136
Our batting woud have to improve to be average... it is simply awful. 

Our recent record in Adelaide is woeful because we can't bat for the required long periods and we can't take wickets there.

Par is 400+ here, otherwise we are in more trouble than the early settlers.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #137
Watched some of the game today and was surprised at how even the pitch is. Nothing really for the bowlers to work with. Watch most players get a start and then go when they should be pounding on the runs to score a century. I thought Warne had a simple answer to the batting. Concentrate. Take a few overs to settle in and then concentrate on what you are doing. Warner, lazy stroke, Watson falling asleep and I won't even touch the others.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #138
Nice to see a good general batting contribution this innings. 4 half centuries (one still unbeaten), a century, Warner got a start and looked good at least. Smith's been the only failure. Just looked worse yesterday with the two half century makers going out in  consecutive overs, and Smith going out not long after.

Reply #139
I think that a lot of credit for the team's improved performance has to go to Boof.

He seems to have disposed of the sports science approach to the game and is hammering the requirement to play aggressively.  The players are sticking to the game plan and, for the most part, they seem to be benefiting from Boof's approach to the game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #140
Clarke and Haddin did well to get the Aussie score right up there. It just looked at one stage as though every player would get a start but no go on with the job. Mind you the Poms didn't help themselves one bit. Dropped Clarke early and dropped Haddin a few times. not to mention to have Haddin caught behind on a "No Ball". They couldn't buy a wicket at one stage. Not sure if the Australian team has improved as much as the English players have been quite pathetic over the last 2 days. probably as bad as I have seen them for quite some time. Better we teach them how to hold catches over the next few days. ;)

Reply #141
Clarke and Haddin did well to get the Aussie score right up there. It just looked at one stage as though every player would get a start but no go on with the job. Mind you the Poms didn't help themselves one bit. Dropped Clarke early and dropped Haddin a few times. not to mention to have Haddin caught behind on a "No Ball". They couldn't buy a wicket at one stage. Not sure if the Australian team has improved as much as the English players have been quite pathetic over the last 2 days. probably as bad as I have seen them for quite some time. Better we teach them how to hold catches over the next few days. ;)

Maybe I'm being too generous Mantis but I reckon the aggressive cricket from our boys is largely responsible for the Poms' errors.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #142
DJC, I completely agree with you. In fact Shane Warne has commented a few times how passive the Poms have looked in this test. No aggressive field setting and playing to defend the boundaries. Not setting fields to take wickets. Little risk equals little rewards. The Aussies have been pro-active rather than reactive and their intimidation with verbal sprays has had an impact on the mentality of the Englishmen. 

Reply #143
I think that a lot of credit for the team's improved performance has to go to Boof.

Undoubtedly. Boof has got them playing as a team that has a steely determination to earn the respect of the cricket world. I think it comes down to his no bull$hit approach and his ability to connect as one of the boys. His appointment couldn't have been more timely.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #144
I have a renewed interest in cricket, and it's not just cause we're on top at the moment, it's the way the team is playing. Honest, aggressive, give it all cricket that I've grown up with.

I love Mitch Johnson's stare at Anderson after the wicket, he didn't have to say anything. In that stare so many unsaid words were spoken; I'm better than you, you can't handle me, bowl that crap to me and I'll put it back over your head.......

England don't have the luxury of doctored pitches that allow Swann to rip through the team, they don't have the luxury of of the Duke ball that swings 20-30cms, but more importantly we are playing like winners and like a TEAM!

The old adage that catches win matches shines though again. Compare the Bailey juggle to Carberry's one the difference is that Pietersen has to go and Haddin goes on to make a century. Compare Roots drop of a hard and low chance off Clarke to Warners catch of a full blooded pull off Carberry. That right there could be the game in those two balls.

The you look at the spearheads Anderson who looks limp compared to Johnson. With no swing Anderson is just a line and length bowler with no real tricks. Johnson can swing the ball too but with no swing, he's gone back to old school bowling soften them up with a few then maybe a wild one wide or a ball with some heat straight down the line and let the pitch do the work for you.

Boof and Billy have got this team purring and I'm looking forward to the South Africa tour in February to see if this can be maintained. We have got some serious holes with Rogers, Watson, Smith and Bailey. I'd really like to see Faulkner in there at 6 but he needs to improve his batting, there are young bats about that need to make the next step and quickly 

Reply #145
I'd be much happier if Watson weren't in the team.

Overrated flatters this guy...... big time.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #146
5-0 to the Aussies... Poms won't last 3 days in Perth.

They don't look like they have any plan to Johnson, I don't think they were expecting Good Mitch to turn up (neither was I!). Our bowling is our strength, we still have 3 good young quicks in the wings that can be fed into the team over time.

England will be regretting the back-to-back series... Bresnan injured, Trott mentally exhausted... has really swung the balance of the two teams.

Reply #147
Bit too much Mitch Johnson at the end and he got sucked in by some reverse sledging from  Broad who seemed to wind him up after each delivery.
Maybe its a new tactic....batsman sledging bowlers....
Also new boy in Stokes decided he would shoulder Johnson and I thought that looked like he meant it rather than accidental...Stokes is a NZ boy with a rugby dad and maybe thinks he can adopt that stuff on the cricket field but he should get a warning IMO...its not a good look for the game and with all the chat at the end I thought the umpies should have stopped it and issued warnings to both teams to play cricket and forget about having the last word.
Thought Siddle should have got more overs and done more of the monkey work and Johnson used more sparingly but kept fresher so he bowled at full pace with more venom.....

Should wrap up the game before lunch tomorrow providing rain doesnt intervene.....I would have let Warner get a century and then declare....

Reply #148
Letting Warner get a century was a no brainer. Makes his CV look better. ;)

Reply #149
Who the hell does Mitchell Johnson think he is? With a bit of luck, one of the poms smacks the self-righteous sh1thead in the mouth to shut him up.