Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 548016 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #165
Bailey gone, rightly so.

Marsh's Shield record is putrid, I have no idea how he gets a spot. I'm no Hughes fan but if they're picking on form he should be there ahead of Marsh.

I'd like to now see Watson move to 6 and give Doolan a chance at 3.

David Warner, Chris Rogers, Shane Watson, Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith, Shaun Marsh, Alex Doolan, Brad Haddin (vc), Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, James Faulkner, Jackson Bird, James Pattinson.

Reply #166
Bailey gone, rightly so.

Marsh's Shield record is putrid, I have no idea how he gets a spot. I'm no Hughes fan but if they're picking on form he should be there ahead of Marsh.

David Warner, Chris Rogers, Shane Watson, Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith, Shaun Marsh, Alex Doolan, Brad Haddin (vc), Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon, James Faulkner, Jackson Bird, James Pattinson.

Agree on Marsh, no fan of Hughes but he does have some form in South Africa with a couple of centuries early in his test career, may have something to do with Doolan being out of form at the minute and Marsh is some insurance for the No 3 spot.
Not sure Pattinson has earned his spot either but is getting a tour based on his extra pace and potential....Coulter-Nile is very unlucky IMO not to be touring.

Reply #167
Bailey gone, rightly so.

I don't mind that squad at all, Hughes didn't exactly fire in any capacity during the last series against the Saffies, so no problem at all with Marsh and Doolan being included ahead of him. If one of those two can lock down #3, releasing Watto to #6, it'll be a huge win. We have an excellent bowling line up to choose from there as well, so should be a very good series with us in such red hot form.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #168
Bailey gone, rightly so.

I don't mind that squad at all, Hughes didn't exactly fire in any capacity during the last series against the Saffies, so no problem at all with Marsh and Doolan being included ahead of him. If one of those two can lock down #3, releasing Watto to #6, it'll be a huge win. We have an excellent bowling line up to choose from there as well, so should be a very good series with us in such red hot form.

Hughes has been in a bit of form this season though and that should count for something. I don't particularly like him but form has to count for something.

Will be an interesting tour. England had us in trouble quite a few times during the Ashes at 5/90, 6/130 etc. We won't get away with starts like that against the Saffies over there.

Reply #169
Bailey gone, rightly so.

Agree on Marsh, no fan of Hughes but he does have some form in South Africa with a couple of centuries early in his test career, may have something to do with Doolan being out of form at the minute and Marsh is some insurance for the No 3 spot.
Not sure Pattinson has earned his spot either but is getting a tour based on his extra pace and potential....Coulter-Nile is very unlucky IMO not to be touring.

Ditto on Pattinson/Coulter-Nile.  But if any of the three main pace bowlers go down, it would surely have to be Jackson Bird who comes in ......bowls in the same manner as Stuart Clark...and he did major damage when he toured there.

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #170
On the Marsh selection, perhaps a National Selector nicknamed "Bacchus" likes the surname!!!

Quite a few State players will be phoning Brad Hodge for some sympathy and advice after the announcement of this squad. I am not a Hughes fan, but he is in form and did well in South Africa last time. There are several others who should feel a bit disgruntled by the Doolan and Marsh selections.

In particular I think North and Hughes do OK against extreme pace. White has also done OK in domestic but he is perceived to have a weakness against pace bowling that perhaps leaves him on the outer.

Maybe we have a youth policy, or too many 30+ in the side already for North to get a gig!

Is it a horses for courses policy, I am not sure, but if it is I am all for it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #171
Lol it was a lose/lose/lose scenario for the selectors when it came to our batting line up.

If they'd gone with Bailey due to the fact that we won the last five tests he played in, then people would be up in arms given he didn't really make any runs in those tests.

If they'd gone with Hughes, people would have been up in arms about the fact that he's had plenty of chances and never really delivered since his stellar debut series.

They've gone with giving Doolan his first cap (which is a pretty bold choice against the #1 team in the world) and that has people up in arms about Hughes being overlooked.

No matter what the selectors did there, someone was going to be unhappy but I, personally, think it was a good move to blood someone else coming through while we're in form and he should have plenty of support around him.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #172
Hughes did do well in SA, would he do well again given the way top teams have worked him out?

I suppose Hughes has a lot of ground to cover before selectors give his "new and improved" technique a tick. I fear at the moment all he is doing is learning to play the same game plan on a different type of pitch! Fair enough, drop in pitches are here to stay, soon the SCG will be in the minority!

Finally had to laugh. During one of the broadcasts over summer they showed highlights of Viv Richards, a kid at our club was watching the TV and said Richards looked like a bigger hack than Warner. I assume he referred to the new improved Warner. The same kid idolises Hughes, such is life! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #173
Doolan no. 3, Watson no.4 so Clarke can go back to no.5 where he produces by far his best cricket.

Then it's just whether we want to  use Siddle or Pattinson. Siddle deserves first go but Pattinson at his pace is tempting, especially in SA.

Reply #174
Lol it was a lose/lose/lose scenario for the selectors when it came to our batting line up.

If they'd gone with Bailey due to the fact that we won the last five tests he played in, then people would be up in arms given he didn't really make any runs in those tests.

If they'd gone with Hughes, people would have been up in arms about the fact that he's had plenty of chances and never really delivered since his stellar debut series.

They've gone with giving Doolan his first cap (which is a pretty bold choice against the #1 team in the world) and that has people up in arms about Hughes being overlooked.

No matter what the selectors did there, someone was going to be unhappy but I, personally, think it was a good move to blood someone else coming through while we're in form and he should have plenty of support around him.

Hughes has failed time after time after time after time  at Test level no matter how many runs he has made st Shield level. Good  move to leave him out.

Reply #175

Finally had to laugh. During one of the broadcasts over summer they showed highlights of Viv Richards, a kid at our club was watching the TV and said Richards looked like a bigger hack than Warner. I assume he referred to the new improved Warner. The same kid idolises Hughes, such is life! ;D

I hope you slapped him or imposed some other form of punishment ... Warner and Hughes look like they are chopping wood when they bat!

Viv was in a different class... just imagine him today with roped boundaries and a modern bat!

Reply #176
Your not wrong by a different class. Sir Viv was in a class of his own and its hard to pick another with the talent he had. He didn't have to thrash the bat at the ball either. it went over the boundary with ease. his captain Clive Lloyd and his dozen grips on his bat was able to monster a big six with brute force, but still make it look elegant. Hughes and Warner can bat and hit big boundaries but I would take the previous 2 in their peak form over our guys in a heart beat. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #177
This season Marsh has an average of 31 and Doolan about 39.......the cupboard is bare of No 3's.......Hughes has the runs on the board but at test level as Jim suggested isnt the answer. IMO Marsh will play No 3 and the idea IMO will be Rodgers holding down one end while the other batters try and hit the Saffies bowlers off their length and line with a full out assault. If that doesnt work then Haddin and the likes of Johnson, Harris etc will have to recover the innings.

Its going to be death or glory batting IMO rather than traditional build an innings test cricket...the chance of survival vs Steyn, Philander etc will be low if the likes of Warner, Marsh, Clarke, Smith, Watson start defending and waiting for loose balls and a player like Warner will probably hold the key to the series.
I think we can keep them to reasonable totals but making runs ourselves is going to be hard work...if my memory serves me right they bowled us for less than 100 in one innings in the previous SA home series and Philander was unplayable on their wickets.

Reply #178
Its a tough one. 2 x nice 50s in the ODI series a god start for Marsh but he is a bit of a lucky boy. Doolan I like too but both he and Marsh have very average records this summer with the red ball. Not the only reason to pick a bloke is because of his record but has to carry some weight surely.

I wouldn't have been unhappy with Marcus North at 6. Id be leaving Watson at 3 for this series to tell ya the truth anyway allowing possibly Haddin at 6 then Faulkner at 7 or one of the bats in Marsh or Doolan at 6 with Hadds at 7.

Taking both Pattinson and Bird I would not have done but rate them both. Would have taken just one in Patts and also Coulter-Nile.

Reply #179
Hughes has the runs on the board but at test level as Jim suggested isnt the answer.

??? Jim, Jim, who the feck is Jim? :P
:P                                            ;D
The Force Awakens!