Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 546530 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #240
Khwahja has done an ACL, gone for this summer.

Might have to replace Warner as well.  Maddinson?  A really left field selection of a bloke who has hit a lot of runs in all conditions over a long period... Klinger.

An amazing stat I heard this test is that the Cowan-Warner average  partnership is within a run of the Rogers-Warner partnership.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #241
Watson must go.

Cowan, as others have said, deserves another crack. His figures cannot be denied this season.

S. Marsh - an enigma. oozes talent but maybe just trying too hard..... needs to grind more until he's 40+ odd (runs on the board) in an innings.

Saying he's not up to it is plain stupid EB1 - why not level the same at Watson, Warner (this test), Haddin (should be chopped for a younger type).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #242
Watson must go.

Cowan, as others have said, deserves another crack. His figures cannot be denied this season.

S. Marsh - an enigma. oozes talent but maybe just trying too hard..... needs to grind more until he's 40+ odd (runs on the board) in an innings.

Saying he's not up to it is plain stupid EB1 - why not level the same at Watson, Warner (this test), Haddin (should be chopped for a younger type).

Fly....You are calling me stupid when he has played 5 tests vs India and averages 7 runs an innings?????......he is also ordinary in the field.
ODI and 20/20 only player IMO......his brother is a much more talented and correct batsman..

Watson...should be dropped like I said but wont be......Warner...proven most wrong including me that he can play all forms of the game.
Haddin....nearly finished but his efforts with the bat in Ashes given him extra credits in the bank and India are so lame with the ball we dont need him making runs just making catches.

re: Cowan....dont rate him either...not enough shots to be batting at No 3.......Ian Chappell, Ricky Ponting...........Ed Cowan......Ed isnt exactly in the same parish as those players
Only role I can see for Cowan is to take over from Rodgers when he retires.....

Reply #244
Watson averaging around 30 with the bat since 2011 batting #3. Simply not good enough. And he is not good enough to be in the side as a bowler either.

Reply #245
Watson is not a number 3, never has and never will be.  Your best batsman should be number 3 and, at the moment, that's Warner.  However, he is doing such a great job as opener that you would be loath to move him.

I thought Watson's bowling wasn't too bad, particularly after Marsh did his fetlock.  I'd prefer to see Watson played as an allrounder and coming in at 6 or 7.  Of course, he was to stay fit.

Rogers is the perfect foil for Warner, but he can score quickly as he demonstrated yesterday.  Cowan is in rare form but he is an incredibly slow scorer and that puts too much pressure on the other batters.

As for S Marsh, EB is spot on.  He is a streaky batsman who can't throw and apparently can't catch either and shouldn't be in the team.  Surely, there's another New South Welshman who can do better.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #246
There was a lot of concern when Warner was promoted to the test squad which has proven to be unfounded. Maybe the selectors should look at Finch in the openers role with Warner dropping back to 3.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #247
Watson is only there now because of the M,Marsh injury. I said before the series started, Watson will make a big score after the series has been decided when the pressure is off. No way has he ever been a number 3 and the figures stack up to support that.

Watson is mentally weak, just look at all the scores of 90ish when he was in form. Bat him at 6 and bowl 15 overs an innings, he is a limited overs player now.

Haddin needs runs, but the fact that he and Smith get on well and Smith needs senior players around him at the moment will mean he stays.

Reply #248
Lots of similar thoughts to mine already expressed, but here is my take on things.

[1] Chris Rogers:
At 37 he is not far from the end. It is a pity he didn't play when he was in his best form a few years back, but it is good that he managed to become more than a one test wonder.
I would not drop him yet, but I would be looking at the next generation of openers to see if there is another warner out there.
I wouldn't play Finch: his form with a red ball is very poor, no matter how good his form with the white ball is.

[2] Watson:
Watson frustrates me as he gets himself out too often, after having the bowlers at his mercy. He is not now making the scores he did either.
I am a fan of his bowling when he is fit, as he does swing the ball. He bowled well in the 2nd test, but his body is a constant source of problems for him.
I would be seriously looking for his long term replacement as a batsman, although Mitch Marsh appears to be the answer as an all-rounder.

[3] Clarke:
I'm afraid he is near the end. His ongoing back and hamstring issues simply don't allow him to play as he once did. I find hat frustrating, but we need to replace him. I don't see him getting back.

[4] Ed Cowan:
Very good at taking a not so good attack to pieces, but has been found wanting at the highest level. He may get a few more chances as we fiddle around with the lineup, but he simply isn't someone we an build a team around.

[5]
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #249
Lots of similar thoughts to mine already expressed, but here is my take on things.

[1] Chris Rogers:
At 37 he is not far from the end. It is a pity he didn't play when he was in his best form a few years back, but it is good that he managed to become more than a one test wonder.
I would not drop him yet, but I would be looking at the next generation of openers to see if there is another warner out there.
I wouldn't play Finch: his form with a red ball is very poor, no matter how good his form with the white ball is.

[2] Watson:
Watson frustrates me as he gets himself out too often, after having the bowlers at his mercy. He is not now making the scores he did either.
I am a fan of his bowling when he is fit, as he does swing the ball. He bowled well in the 2nd test, but his body is a constant source of problems for him.
I would be seriously looking for his long term replacement as a batsman, although Mitch Marsh appears to be the answer as an all-rounder.

[3] Clarke:
I'm afraid he is near the end. His ongoing back and hamstring issues simply don't allow him to play as he once did. I find hat frustrating, but we need to replace him. I don't see him getting back.

[4] Ed Cowan:
Very good at taking a not so good attack to pieces, but has been found wanting at the highest level. He may get a few more chances as we fiddle around with the lineup, but he simply isn't someone we an build a team around.

[5]

I'd like Jordan Silk to take over from Rogers....good technique and knows how to build an innings..

Reply #250
Watson must go.

Fly....You are calling me stupid when he has played 5 tests vs India and averages 7 runs an innings?????......he is also ordinary in the field.
ODI and 20/20 only player IMO......his brother is a much more talented and correct batsman..

Watson...should be dropped like I said but wont be......Warner...proven most wrong including me that he can play all forms of the game.
Haddin....nearly finished but his efforts with the bat in Ashes given him extra credits in the bank and India are so lame with the ball we dont need him making runs just making catches.

re: Cowan....dont rate him either...not enough shots to be batting at No 3.......Ian Chappell, Ricky Ponting...........Ed Cowan......Ed isnt exactly in the same parish as those players
Only role I can see for Cowan is to take over from Rodgers when he retires.....

Actually, with Cowan, he has re-invented the way he has played and scoring alot faster. You can't do no more than score runs. Remember, every Australian batsman during the golden era was dropped at some stage. All came back to be superstars. Cowan may not do that but his form is exquisite right now. Double 150 last game. Happy to give Marsh a shot but if he fails again then Cowan has to be a much better option.

Watson won't be dropped until Marsh comes back. We need the extra bowling option. Once Marsh is back then we can drop Watson.

Reply #251
Watson is only there now because of the M,Marsh injury. I said before the series started, Watson will make a big score after the series has been decided when the pressure is off. No way has he ever been a number 3 and the figures stack up to support that.

Watson is mentally weak, just look at all the scores of 90ish when he was in form. Bat him at 6 and bowl 15 overs an innings, he is a limited overs player now.

Haddin needs runs, but the fact that he and Smith get on well and Smith needs senior players around him at the moment will mean he stays.

Actually at no's 1-2-3 Watson averages 40. I agree though, when Marsh is back he's gone IMO.

Reply #252
It would be interesting to see what he averages in "live" games where the decision matters. I bet a big portion of the high scores that boost his average happen in the dead rubbers.

Reply #253
It would be interesting to see what he averages in "live" games where the decision matters. I bet a big portion of the high scores that boost his average happen in the dead rubbers.
Perennial tease, at 30+ y.o.he should be dominating matches but is still only showing glimpses. Time to cut him from the test team and give others a chance.
The Ox is slow but I'm running out of patience.

Reply #254

Had a decent dual Ashes series last year but before then then only thing that kept him in the side was his ability to bowl. That was a godsend in Brisbane. That's the only reason as well he's playing this week, as Marsh can't. 

A few "unpressured" scores there of course, mostly recent, but not as many as you think. He made 83 no in the 2nd innings on Boxing Day last year chasing down a tricky target.  Alot of "live" games though when he was opening the batting and doing well against all nations but mostly during the higher point of his career a few years ago. Has alot of 50s and alot between 40-50. Hence the problem. Watson's problem isn't often form, it's the brilliant, chanceless, annoying 25s he make before going out while looking for all the world he's going to make a big score. At least before, his starts were between 40 and 95 consistently. Now it's 25-30. Unless he does something this Test he'll be gone as Marsh will come back.